"Yes, the life of a writer really is this perilous" -- help Elizabeth Bear's new book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
From here: http://matociquala.livejournal.com/1410464.html

Elizabeth Bear said:
Various conversations around the con, with booksellers and others, and a little online detective work have led me to believe that the reason that Ink & Steel isn't (a) appearing on bookstore shelves and (b) selling in reasonable quantities, despite fabulous reviews, is that it's not in the order system at a certain major industry distributor under my name or the title, though it can be located by ISBN.

So, I guess Monday we get to see if this can be sorted out, or if we're going to lose the series over what amounts to a data entry error.

Yes, the life of a writer really is this perilous...

:eek:
I find this terrifying. It could happen to any of us, if we get to her point. As we all hope to, right? A wonderful writer should not get dumped over a database error, but it might happen.

Anyway. Anyone who wants this book (or believes me when I say Elizabeth Bear is an amazing writer) should do what she suggests:

In the mean time, what you can do--you know, if you are so moved--is if you want a copy of Ink & Steel, and you cannot find it at your local bookstore, write down the ISBN (978-0451462091), go in with it, and ask them to order that book. You might also point out that it's third in a series and there's a computer glitch at work, and thus the book is not being auto-ordered. If you felt like it, I mean.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering what book to buy next. Thanks, Shweta, for the heads up. I know what I'm buying now. :)

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
It's book three, so we (me included, I've only read her short fiction so far) have three new yummy books to buy! :)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This seems like it'd be a nightmare. Poor author!

I'm not terribly techhy, so this may be a stupid question...but if it's a data entry error, why can't someone just re-enter the data?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Only room in my book budget for two, and I already had my greedy eyes on one of J.A. Konrath's books.

But I've been meaning to read one of her books, so even though this is in the midst of a trilogy (which I wouldn't normally do, buy and read one out of order on purpose), I'm gonna buy it anyway.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Yeah.
And she's one of the best new(ish) voices I've read in a long time.

I'm not terribly techhy, so this may be a stupid question...but if it's a data entry error, why can't someone just re-enter the data?

I think that's what she's going to try to have done on Monday.
But meanwhile, her book's been out for a bit and not been selling, which looks really bad for her, so it'd be good if people get bookstores to fix the error and show that there is demand.

She's only asking it of people who would be buying her book if it was on the shelf.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
What a huge bummer. I might have to go demand that Borders give it to me...

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Here's another bizarre thing. When I went to Amazon and typed in Ink and Steel, it didn't come up. When I typed in Ink and Steel Elizabeth Bear, still nothing. Only by putting quotes around the title could I find it.

WTF??

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Can I quote you?

ETA: Actually, I get it just fine, by typing either Ink and Steel or Ink & Steel.
Are you amazon.com or amazon.co.uk?
Not that I know if it'll make a difference.

Last edited:

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
I need to put this series on my wishlist asap. I read her Worldwired trilogy and loved it. Even my dh, who isn't a fan of speculative fiction, enjoyed it.

On the purely selfish note, we should get it while we can. Just in case.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Would the publisher have right of redress against the distributor if this impacted their sales? I'm assuming the author has no independent right.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com

They can. But it first requires someone to notice there was a problem, which possibly didn't happen until now, and then it requires someone caring enough to actually do it. Initiative.

She has my sympathy, that's for sure. What a stupid reason for her book to not be selling.

vfury

Hearts the furrily challenged.
Registered
Reaction score
I already ordered it in for myself through work. :) But I did notice INK AND STEEL was difficult to find when I went into other bookstores that had her earlier books. I live in Ireland, admittedly, and I'd just assumed it would take them a while after the actual release date to get their import order in, but now it's a little worrying. What a wretched thing to impact sales!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
That is really terrible. You think you get all the way to that point in the game and the walls come tumbling down because of an un-dotted 'i'.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
I just ordered Ink & Steel online (as well as the first in the series; if I like it I'll pick up the second book before reading Ink & Steel). I hope she can get this error cleared up soon! At least she found out about it, though, hopefully in time to not affect further sales too much.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Finding it on Amazon.co.uk works just fine

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Shweta, how did she find out this happened?

Ardellis

tortures make-believe people
Registered
Reaction score
Website
witchingwell.com
That's a very scary scenario. May all the various gods and angels defend any of us from a similar fate.

That said. E.Bear is brilliant. I'm about a hundred pages into this book. And book 4 comes out August 1! Preorder that one, too, while you're getting this one!

CheshireCat

Mostly purring. Mostly.
Registered
Reaction score
Once a manuscript leaves your hands, virtually everything in publishing is beyond your control.

There will be screw-ups, some of them utterly stupid and a few of monumental proportions.

Get used to it.

If you're lucky, you'll find out about the screw-ups, if not in time to salvage sales, then at least in time to salvage your reputation (something to point out when the publisher has the nerve to comment that the book's sales "weren't what we hoped for") when negotiating the next contract.

If you aren't lucky, you'll never know why a book didn't sell well, even if the problem was a purely technical one on the publisher's end.

Write the best book you can, get cover input if you can and if you're good at it, be as informed as you can be, make it clear you expect your agent to be as informed as he/she can be, and then cross your fingers.

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
According to my publisher, my ISBN was listed incorrectly at the source and therefore wasn't listed properly with Bowker. She said it would take up to a year for it to show up on the database. I'm afraid to walk into a bookstore and find out the ISBN doesn't exist. It's still on Amazon, B&N, etc. but it's infuriating that a person can't walk into a Canadian bookstore and order the damn thing.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Shweta, how did she find out this happened?

She talked to people at Readercon and figured it out, I guess. I only know what's in the link in post 1.

It's not like I know her, right, I'm just a fangirl.

That said. E.Bear is brilliant. I'm about a hundred pages into this book. And book 4 comes out August 1! Preorder that one, too, while you're getting this one!

E. Bear makes my jaw drop. Sheer wonderful brilliance.

Actually guys? I feel silly.

You don't have to take my word for it. You can read her Orm the Beautiful online for free.

CCat -- the point is that right now, for this author, we can do something. She got lucky enough for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.