How Much Things Have Change in the Last Half Century

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen those before, and I'm not sure where. Didn't we talk about this once before?

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Soon we'll be saying that of beer commercials. They call it progress ... I think?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Perhaps in half a century they will believe we were sexists for the amount of sexual references on the media, we don't know, everything at its time.

How do we know that cellphones actually give cancer but is hidden by big companies? we don't know. Everything has its time

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
How would a commercial like this fly in Venezuela, Max?

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
People would be shocked to see Pablo Mármol from Los Picapiedras smoking, but after The Simpsons nothing is shocking from US cartoons anymore...

The other one would be illegal, any adverstisment of alcohol or cigarettes has been banned from decades (but is fine to use semi-nude gals to sell toilets) and the beer thing is passed thanks to Malta, a non-alcoholic beverage similar to stout that is quite popular. I mean, you go to the beer and drink root beer to go and get some girls, right?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7m1_HjrKlw&NR=1
the guy who posted it nows it's meant to be beer when the commercial leaves it ambiguously with a small line written down saying (malta) in the bottle

Or just showing their company mascot and not showing the product at all (don't worry, a lot of bikini gals in exchange)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nIle3GzFbM

JJ Cooper

Registered
Reaction score
Interesting clip from over our end of the world.

Qantas under fire over duty-free cigarettes

Now, coincidence or otherwise, it plans to resume sales at a time when a former high ranking executive at British American Tobacco has joined the Qantas board.

Quit Victoria executive director Fiona Sharkie describes the move as "incredibly retrograde".

She says in 1999 Australia was leading tobacco control, just as it is now, and Qantas's move was a tremendous sign of support.

Ms Sharkie says Qantas's decision to reverse that move is a blow for anti-smoking campaigners.

"One of the main interventions in tobacco control that we know is the most effective in reducing smoking rates is by increasing the price of cigarettes," she said.

"We've now had research over 10 years that shows us that increasing the price of cigarettes through tax brings smoking rates down more than anything else."

The anti-smoking lobby is not alone in being upset at Qantas's decision. Federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon has described it as a "backward step for public health".The World Today understands flight attendants don't want to be selling cigarettes again and believe they're being asked to do something that's out of step with public opinion.

Qantas management has written to attendants directing them to display the cigarettes prominently on the in-flight duty-free trolley carts.

The airline wouldn't answer questions from the ABC but in a statement said it was selling products similar to those offered at airports and by other carriers.

Above all, Qantas says it's simply responding to customer demand.

http://au.biz.yahoo.com/080717/31/1u47p.html

JJ

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've seen those before, and I'm not sure where. Didn't we talk about this once before?
We might have. I might have found and posted that Flintstones commercial before. I love old commercials.

One thing everyone is forgetting, the Flintstones were shown in prime-time, meaning it wasn't kiddy time. It was aimed at adults (although watching them now it's hard to believe any adult would have watched it). I think it was a parody of the Honeymooners.

Remember, Hamm's beer had a cartoon bear as it's spokesperson and there was a point in the 60s that the Hamm's bear was the most recognizable character, right up there with Micky Mouse and Bugs Bunny.

And if you can find any old time radio commercials, the cigarette ads were even more blantant about their medical benefits (but then all products made outrageous claims back then). I think one advertiser made claimed that famous opera singers smoked their brand because it was more soothing for their voice.

Ah, the good old days.

TerzaRima

Absinthe O'Malice
Registered
Reaction score
More doctors smoke Camels than any other cigarettes! Head exploding.

I remember being a little asthmatic kid going to the local hospital for treatment, and wheezing my way past the doctors smoking lounge. This would have been in the mid 1970s. Now, at the hospital where I work, you can't light up at all in the building, nor within 100 yards of it.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Qantas under fire over duty-free cigarettes

Now, coincidence or otherwise, it plans to resume sales at a time when a former high ranking executive at British American Tobacco has joined the Qantas board.

Quit Victoria executive director Fiona Sharkie describes the move as "incredibly retrograde".

She says in 1999 Australia was leading tobacco control, just as it is now, and Qantas's move was a tremendous sign of support.

Ms Sharkie says Qantas's decision to reverse that move is a blow for anti-smoking campaigners.

"One of the main interventions in tobacco control that we know is the most effective in reducing smoking rates is by increasing the price of cigarettes," she said.

"We've now had research over 10 years that shows us that increasing the price of cigarettes through tax brings smoking rates down more than anything else."

The anti-smoking lobby is not alone in being upset at Qantas's decision. Federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon has described it as a "backward step for public health".The World Today understands flight attendants don't want to be selling cigarettes again and believe they're being asked to do something that's out of step with public opinion.

Qantas management has written to attendants directing them to display the cigarettes prominently on the in-flight duty-free trolley carts.

The airline wouldn't answer questions from the ABC but in a statement said it was selling products similar to those offered at airports and by other carriers.

Above all, Qantas says it's simply responding to customer demand.

Ugh. Well I can understand that there's no need to sell cigarettes on airplanes, where you're not allowed to smoke anyway since that might be dangerous in case of an emergency. But why so much update against simply selling a legitimate product?

I hate how cigarette tax is the answer to everything. In many states, the government makes more money per pack than the tobacco company. Who's the big baddy, then? Pharmaceutical companies try to get people to "quit" one nicotine habit in favor of another, except now they're the ones profiting from it?

So much discrimination against smokers today. It makes me angry. Where's the outrage?