Status
Not open for further replies.

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
Goatmam, you only posted it today. It's Saturday. SYW posts get less attention on weekends. You can also post a request in the SYW starbucks (main SYW thread).
Welcome to AW!

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
It's barely been posted for thirteen hours. That's not rejection, that's people having lives. Give people at least a few days to catch up on their reading and critiquing. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm quite aware that the people whose work get fairly prompt feedback have a few traits in common:
  • They have a working link to it in their signature
  • They add to their signature's link a request for critique, a logline, or something else which encourages people to take a look
  • They critique the work of others, tactfully and thoroughly, resulting in a sort of indebtedness
  • They're not brand new*
  • They're active participants on at least one writing-related board, not just the fun places
  • They write in a genre which is pretty popular, so many of us are qualified to give feedback because we at least read it, if not write it ourselves
  • They write pretty well, so mistakes in basic writing mechanics don't get in the way of the content

I have no idea which, if any, of these factors might account for a lack of response so far, so I urge patience and your efforts to become more like the group that gets ample feedback.

Maryn, glad to meet you

* Too often a new arrival, eager for feedback, posts work, gets some great critique, and is never heard from again, not repaying the site by providing critique to others

Gray Rose

Beware of the Thorns!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
roselemberg.net
I agree with Maryn on most points, except the following:

I'm quite aware that the people whose work get fairly prompt feedback have a few traits in common:
  • They're not brand new*
  • They write pretty well, so mistakes in basic writing mechanics don't get in the way of the content
In my experience, new people usually get plenty of useful comments, especially on the popular boards such as SFF. I agree with Maryn that too many newbies do not "repay" for the criticism, usually just disappearing, and that comes across as disrespectful.

On the solid writing mechanics part - I actually disagree with Maryn here. It is quite easy for people to point out where the basics are lacking - we've been doing it for a while, and the mistakes in basics are easy to spot. It is *much* harder to crit somebody who has solid writing basics, but whose work just doesn't click for some subtle reason like not enough emotion, pacing slightly off, et cetera.

All that said, let me reiterate that patience is a virtue. :D

Good luck with your writing
Rose

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eek, we disagree! We can still be best buds, though, right?

I may be alone in opening a story whose author seeks critique, seeing it hasn't been spell checked and the author can't tell to from too or their from there, and promptly closing it, with no guilt whatsoever.

Maryn, officially the old lady who shakes her broom at the kids on bikes

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
My own take on SYW is that you would do well to start out by reading and critting other peoples' work before you post your own. Critting helps not only the crittee but the critter. Plus the people you've helped are likely to help you in return.

It's a two-way street.

I'd also say that it's a good idea to participate in non-SYW threads that interest you, so people get to know you. When I read an interesting post, I always look at the poster's profile to see if she's put work on SYW. Most of the time, I'll then take a look at that work.

Mr Sci Fi

Street Samurai
Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten plenty of useful comments on my stories, but it takes a while I'm afraid. Some stories just fair better than others, I've noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.