Is it ok to query Production Companies?

gophergrrrl

Been a while but I've returned...
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on agency queries, and I was wondering if it's acceptable to send queries to production companies. Also, if one doesn't have representation through an agency, does that mean that sending those queries to prod. co.'s are a big waste of my time and theirs?

Daydreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Of course you can query production companies. Some even suggest focusing on production companies rather than agencies as a new writer.
There are a lot of tips how to do this in the Tips thread (it's sticky, you'll find it without me putting a link here).
There is also an interesting article from NMStevens (or at the least the link to the article) describing how best to query production companies. It makes for an interesting read (can't find the link here, but I'm sure you'll find it somewhere in the tips section).
Good luck.

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
You'll get more action from prodcos than agencies.

That said, all this prodco & agency business is premature til you've got 3 to 5 solid scripts. Written, critiqued by people who know what they're talking about, rewritten ... repeat as needed.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
Are the numbers as important as having an answer to the magical question of "What else have you got?" I know people like to throw out concrete numbers, but they can often be a distraction from the actual rationale, that being mastery of the craft and the ability to truly capitalize on opportunities.

Just putting that out there.

gophergrrrl

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the information! I think I'll lay off the agency queries for a while and focus on some production companies. PConsidine, I'm not sure I understand exactly what you mean.

So, as for choosing potential companies, what should my criteria for selecting be made up of? Should I query companies that have produced films of similiar genre to mine? Or should I do research on different company websites to see who accepts what and from who? I am so full of questions about everything!..haha.. Thanks guys, you all are helping me out so much! =o]

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
If you haven't already, check out the screenwriting tips sticky thread, specificially post #3 (prodcos, agents, managers), which might give you a nudge in the right direction.

-Derek

odocoileus

Registered
Reaction score
Are the numbers as important as having an answer to the magical question of "What else have you got?" I know people like to throw out concrete numbers, but they can often be a distraction from the actual rationale, that being mastery of the craft and the ability to truly capitalize on opportunities.

Just putting that out there.

I agree. "What else you got?" is the real question. It's important to answer w/ something good.

The numbers are somewhat arbitrary. Some people will say ten scripts. Two could work. One script alone isn't going to give anyone confidence that you can consistently do this for a living.

Premature submissions from people who haven't really mastered their craft just clog up the pipe, and make closed door policies necessary.

gophergrrrl

Registered
Reaction score
I have several scripts, and I'm working on a new one at the moment. Hopefully, if I ever get asked that question, I'll have a good answer.

Thanks again for the info guys! =o]

nmstevens

What happened?
Registered
Reaction score
I have several scripts, and I'm working on a new one at the moment. Hopefully, if I ever get asked that question, I'll have a good answer.

Thanks again for the info guys! =o]

Here is the link that people have been mentioning:

http://www.panix.com/~mwsm/nms_faq.html

The part that's relevant to your question about submitting material to production companies and how to go about doing it, is actually part of a much larger document, but it's in there somewhere.

If you don't want to read the rest of it, I suppose you can just scroll through until you find the appopriate passages.

NMS

gophergrrrl

Registered
Reaction score
I read everything I can possibly find about this stuff! Thanks, NM!