Got an EmerGENcy question?

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter's cat brought fleas home from the animal shelter. I've always taken precautions with my animals and I've (*she knocks on wood*) never really had a flea problem. Any suggestions, other than using some chemical, on how to destroy the lives of thousands of the little, hopping devils?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
immediately give all of your animals a serious flea dip bath. Then treat them with Advantage or a similar product ( always get these from the vet; the supermarket versions do not work and can cause serious health problems with cats) which they'll hate but will kill any remaining fleas on them. Then, unfortunately, it's time to clean everything else. You're going to have to bomb if the fleas have already made their way into the carpets, drapes, furniture etc. Remove the animals and anything they eat or drink out of fromthe house--including their food, litter boxes, toys, etc.-- and bomb the hell out of your house.

The flea meds should take care of the animals' discomfort. The bomb will have to take care of yours.

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
immediately give all of your animals a serious flea dip bath. Then treat them with Advantage or a similar product ( always get these from the vet; the supermarket versions do not work and can cause serious health problems with cats) which they'll hate but will kill any remaining fleas on them. Then, unfortunately, it's time to clean everything else. You're going to have to bomb if the fleas have already made their way into the carpets, drapes, furniture etc. Remove the animals and anything they eat or drink out of fromthe house--including their food, litter boxes, toys, etc.-- and bomb the hell out of your house.

The flea meds should take care of the animals' discomfort. The bomb will have to take care of yours.

Thanks! Damn cat! She's beautiful. Solid white with long hair, but she's been nothing but trouble since my daughter brought her home from the shelter! She spent two days and a night at the vets...respiratory infection. She scratched a little when she got here, but I figured that if the vet didn't say anything then it couldn't have been fleas. Now it's obvious. I haven't been bitten, but my granddaughter is five and I don't want her to be bitten. I guess we know how I'm going to be spending my day tomorrow, HUH? Daugher can't. She's conveniently pregnant!

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Kola gets Frontline for ticks and it says it works for fleas, too. I buy it from petshed.com. It's stupidly cheap from them, if you want to look it up. Even w/ shipping, it's the cheapest I've ever found, anywhere. I mean, anywhere.

And, it doesn't get into the internal organs, which is optimal. It stays within the skin, the largest organ of the body, case anyone is interested.

But, mesclina's right, flea dip is the only way to go. The first line of defense. Then pray they haven't gotten into your home. Or else, it's gonna be weapons of mass destruction.

Elaine Margarett

High and Dry
Registered
Reaction score
I'd be careful with dipping your cat. We dipped ours in what was supposed to be a dip you can use on kittens and he started foaming at the mouth! Apparently cats are hypersensitive to flea dips.

I'd dip only on the recommendation of your vet. And I'd check to see how soon you can use other flea products after dipping/treating for fleas.

Good luck!

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be careful with dipping your cat. We dipped ours in what was supposed to be a dip you can use on kittens and he started foaming at the mouth! Apparently cats are hypersensitive to flea dips.

I'd dip only on the recommendation of your vet. And I'd check to see how soon you can use other flea products after dipping/treating for fleas.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I'm really not up for the cat foaming at the mouth! That must have been awful!

Appalachian Writer

Registered
Reaction score
Kola gets Frontline for ticks and it says it works for fleas, too. I buy it from petshed.com. It's stupidly cheap from them, if you want to look it up. Even w/ shipping, it's the cheapest I've ever found, anywhere. I mean, anywhere.

And, it doesn't get into the internal organs, which is optimal. It stays within the skin, the largest organ of the body, case anyone is interested.

But, mesclina's right, flea dip is the only way to go. The first line of defense. Then pray they haven't gotten into your home. Or else, it's gonna be weapons of mass destruction.

I'll check out the website. I wonder how long it'll take to get the stuff. I live in terror of blood-sucking, hip-hopping, nasty little varmints!

Mumut

Well begun is half done...
Registered
Reaction score
Plant some tansy (tanacetum vulgare) near the outside doors. It repels fleas and lice and will keep them out when you've cleaned up your present problem. You can safely rub it on animals to get rid of the insects. Tansy is poisonous if eated in quantity but at Easter you can make tansy pudding and violet cakes during Passion.

Last edited: