Resources/Markets/Guidelines

AngelicaRJackson

Angelic Muse
Registered
Reaction score
Website
AngelicaRJackson.blogspot.com
Guidelines:

http://www.birdsandblooms.com/dycon.asp?parent=36551&RefURL=&KeyCode=&tdate=&PMCode=&OrgURL=

Caveat: I couldn't find a pay rate here--may not be a paying market. Be sure to check that out before submitting.

I thought I'd chime in on Birds and Blooms, a market listed way on the first page. They were actually my first paid article, and I've also worked with a photo editor on one of their sister publications, Country Woman (got paid for that one too).

For Birds and Blooms, I had gotten my nerve up and written a letter in response to a feature they published on gardening for the disabled. I didn't even know enough to write a proper query, I just described what I had done in my garden and mentioned that I could write it up in an article, and I enclosed a photo. I am a subscriber, and was surprised to see an excerpt from my letter in the next issue, along with the photo. I hadn't heard anything from them by that point, and at first I was confused---and then my check arrived, and I felt much better! Apparently the packet returning my materials and the check crossed in the mail.

I queried them with another article on the gardens at Empire Mine State Historic Park (I sold the article elsewhere and it's now my writing sample on my website) and got the go ahead to write it on spec, but they ultimately decided it wasn't quite garden-y enough for their publication. But professional dealings the whole time. They seem like an approachable market for beginners, since they are interested in tips from readers and their style is more informal.

I have since noticed that in the magazine itself, they say that they send you a "gift" as compensation for your photo or story. Their listing in Writer's Market is more geared to professionals, though, and I suspect it depends on how you approach them. If you make it clear which rights you are interested in selling, I think that would set the tone.

Last edited:

oarsman

Salt water is the cure
Registered
Reaction score
BBC Wildlife Magazine

Guidelines for both article and photography submissions here.

There are some excellent photography "masterclasses" on BBC Wildlife's website here that can help improve your nature photography skills.