My latest concoction

chevbrock

Registered
Reaction score
I threw together some cabbage (I used a minicab), frozen green beans, a diced tomato, bit of water, bit of olive oil and some mixed herbs. Microwaved for about 10 mins to make sure the cabbage was good and cooked. Served it with sausages. It was pretty good!

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Not an original recipe, but one I recall from a novel:

Fry some bacon until brown; remove from pan and drain on paper towels.
Shred a head of green cabbage. Saute in the bacon fat until soft.
Add heavy cream to the pan. Simmer and stir until cream reduces a bit and the cabbage is silky.
Add a splash of red wine vinegar to taste. Simmer for five minutes or so.
Sauce should be smooth.
Black pepper and salt to taste (won't need much salt).
Serve with crumbled bacon as garnish.

A friend of mine dubbed it "Russian Cabbage."
It is very, very tasty.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
This evening I was in no mood to cook. So, I salt and peppered four chicken breasts (skin and ribs attached) and then browned them in a wee bit of olive oil. I removed the chicken to a plate and added a can of cream of mushroom soup plus half a can of water to the pan juices. Stirred it up, and then added 12 marinated artichoke hearts. (I buy my artichoke hearts at Costco and their brand (Kirkland) is really very good. Not overly spiced or full of vinegar.) I put the chicken back in, placed a lid on the pan and threw it in a 375F oven for 35-40 minutes.

The sauce was delicious as the artichokes added a nice tartness (not unlike lemon chicken). I served the dish over butter noodles (for my better half) and steamed white rice (for me). A side of steamed peas completed the meal.

CatSlave

Mah tale iz draggin.
Registered
Reaction score
Your chicken & artichokes sounds yummy. Must try...

Costco has some excellent prepared foods, IMO.
Try the tzaziki (in the produce refrigerator section), the jarred 'bruschetta' for serving on toasts, and the hummus/baba gannouj combination for serving with pita toasts.
It would cost me more to fix them from scratch, so these have become staples in my kitchen.