If an editor loves the manuscript....

RoccoMom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catsbooksmorecats.blogspot.com
but "key people" vote it down, can a rewrite be considered or is it "game over" for that house?
Now you're probably gonna ask why the keyers voted it down....becasue they felt there wasn't enough paranormal slant and the mystery angle was too close to another series they have coming out in October.
Thoughts?

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Game over with THIS agency. Their reasons for not wanting to publish are too deep and sound ("too close to another series they have coming out in October") to deal with. Don't worry, if it was good enough to get to the board at this agency, you will find another agency very soon. Chin up!

As for the rewrite, that's something only you can decide. But, which of our manuscripts could not be rewritten?

Last edited:

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Agents submit to imprints individually--a rejection at Doubleday, for instance, isn't necessarily a rejection at any of the other Random House imprints. So no worries on that front.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
What about another imprint of the same house? Would the rejection extend to them as well?
It depends on the imprint, I'd say. Under the Penguin umbrella, Ace and Roc are so close that the same editors sometimes have clients in both. Which imprint a book is published under depends on the type it is -- Ace does more urban fantasy and SF, Roc tends more to traditional fantasy or darker contemporary works. But not always, and books that don't exactly fit a mold could go with either.

Other imprints I'm sure have completely separate staffs and types of books, so I don't think there's a definitive answer to your question. But your agent will, I'm sure.