Oh, What to do?!?!?!

bison

Registered
Reaction score
I am the proud published author of three books. However, they had their run and it's "what have you done for me today" time.
I fell in love with the stage sometime back and have tried to split my time between writing novels and stage plays.
Now I find I simply cannot craft a novel. It just doesn't work anymore.
I finally came to grips with the fact that I want to concentrate on stage plays, so eveything is back to square one now.
I realize few people ever make a living as a playwright, but, what the hell...
You gotta do what you gotta do!
So, I'm wishing myself lots of luck and hard work.
Have any of you ever been in this place?

endless rewrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Bison,

Best of luck with your new venture and I will wish you some hard work but not too much of it. Writing for the stage has lots of kudos, you get respect as a writer and you're central throughout the whole development process unlike film or TV but the pay, in comparison, sucks.

But what price happiness sand satisfaction?

Keep us all posted on your progress.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big proponent of following your passion. Honestly, if you had to DECIDE to write a book, which you're not into anymore ... would it be any good?

steveg144

Crusty Polemicist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CrustyPolemicist.blogspot.com
I know what you're talking about. I did a novel in 2005 and spent a year buffing it and another year searching for an agent. No luck. During all that time I spent trying to get that novel off the ground, I found myself doing something I hadn't done since college: writing stage plays. I came to a point where I realized two things almost simultaneously. I really didn't like writing novels, and I absolutely loved writing stage plays. I've been writing them for two years, and I've had 3 pieces published (a 1-act and two 10-minute pieces), and another 1-act just won a contest to be put on at an area college. So it seems to be an area with some upside potential in terms of success. Not, as you so correctly pointed out, the kind of success that lets you make a living at it (I saw an Arthur Miller interview a few years back where he bemoaned the fact that no one can make a living writing straight stage dramas anymore), but the kind of success where you do something you love and occasionally get to see it on stage with living actors playing the roles that you created in your mind.