What should you remember when writing YA?

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
In regards to the video I linked I was also rather surprised by what she said and I don't understand why people think YA is easier to break into or easier in general.

Pastelnudes

Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing, really, that we need to remember when writing for teens. Absolutely anything goes.

Ambiguous endings, possibly. As in, avoid them. I recently finished reading an adult novel which ended that way, and forgave it (in spite of my own frustration) because the author was making subtle points about fiction, war and humanity. Having said that, I'd be similarly forgiving with a YA novel, if it were well-written.

But, yeah. I probably would think hard before writing an ambiguous ending to a YA novel.

Last edited:

NINA28

Registered
Reaction score
I have one main suggestion as I was new to YA reading because it didn't exist when I was a teen. (which could be how I ended up reading Lolita at 13). I'd written from adults view points and children but never a teen. I didn't identify with teens when I was one, I was very...unusual.

But I read several a few years back in the Fantasy/Dystopian Genre and they ALL included a romance. Not a problem. But it was sixteen year old girl's falling in love, deeply, madly and for-ever with a handsome boy. Do teens have crushes? Yes. Does it feel like the real thing? Yes. Do you see yourself marrying them? I think most girls would like to think that. But 4 books later in their twenties they are still together. Now how many girls or boys can say I got together with someone at 16-18 and we're still together now. You go through a big change in your late teens and twenties. Your tastes and interests change - mine did a lot. I know some people stay together like that but I don't know any of my friends that are still with their first crush twelve years down the line. So write romance realistically.

Madzianta

Registered
Reaction score
It's difficult to know all of the words/phrases/slang teenagers use. The language changes and you have to be up to date.

books_are_amazing

Registered
Reaction score
Remember that it's a complicated time. It's not just about dating, acne, and getting in to Harvard, there's so much more complexity to it (the topics are perfectly great topics, but make sure you touch on other relationships, settings, emotion swings, etc). They also might worry about being judged, being perfect, some have mental illness, sibling relationships, parents and even if they're really good, there are still moments of conflict, just remember if you don't know or remember, just ask. Young adults really like when people are considerate of how they feel and the realities of their daily life. You can ask on Quora, Reddit, someone near you, etc.

Honestly the fact that you're asking about things to remember will probably serve you incredibly well. I can't wait to see what you write!
:)
Have a great night. :)

Reactions: CWNitz

TMarsh

Registered
Reaction score
There are so many replies here that I don't know if I can contribute anything else. What does come to mind, though, is to give young adults credit for being intelligent. They are intelligent.
I completely agree with this!

When in doubt, I try to run things by a teenager that I know - for me, usually a cousin. We can all remember being teenagers, but current ones are the best source of knowledge for realistic teenage emotions/dialogue/worries, etc.

Gramps

Endless imagination brings limitless nightmares
Registered
Reaction score
1. They're people. And like people of anhy other age, they don't all think the same way of like the same things, even if it sometimes seems like they do. (Check the "What were you reading as a teen" thread for corroboration.
Great advice! As a YA writer, I try to incorporate the things you have touched on.

storywriter24

Registered
Reaction score
should i keep writing my story ? im 34-40 now and feel that cant pull it off any one have any advice to give me?

Bing Z

illiterate primate
Registered
Reaction score
should i keep writing my story ? im 34-40 now and feel that cant pull it off any one have any advice to give me?
John Green is 45. You age is not a factor. But (at least a couple years ago) Green frequently interacted with teens. I bet he knows teens pretty well. Do you?

Reactions: Elenitsa

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
John Green is 45. You age is not a factor. But (at least a couple years ago) Green frequently interacted with teens. I bet he knows teens pretty well. Do you?
What Bing Z said...

Do you remember what it was like to be the age you're writing about? You're qualified to write YA.

Do you still read YA, and interact with today's teens, in a way that doesn't involve broad-brush "kids these days..." dismissals or over-generalizations? You're qualified to write YA.

Are you going to write a story that will appeal to teens, and not sit them down and lecture them about the follies of their generation with a condescending Message? You're qualified to write YA.

Many older YA books still resonate with YA readers for a reason, and that reason is not that an author correctly uses the latest internet slang or references a band that was popular last week on TikTok: there are universal truths and themes about being that age, the challenges inherent in stepping into adulthood, that transcend specifics. Get those right, and you'll have a readership.

(Of course, if you are going to write in a contemporary setting and use contemporary "teen terms", be sure to use them right. Even if you're setting it in another decade, even the one you lived through as a genuine young adult, research it thoroughly. Don't just rely on your own memories, because not only does memory tend to blur and fade over time, your specific experiences might not reflect those of your characters. Plus there are things you can appreciate and learn as an adult that will lend weight and verisimilitude to your depiction of the time that teen-you probably didn't consciously tune into; even if your teen characters don't deal with it and you don't mention it in the story, the knowledge will help. Sort of like when Mom and Dad are going through a rough patch and a kid only knows that everyone's angry, but looking back you can pick up that, oh, dang, that's when Dad's company downsized and Mom was feeling trapped and almost skipped out, or Grandpa had a murky diagnosis they didn't share with the kids but which made everything that much worse, and oh I guess that's why they yelled at me when I said I wanted to go to Harvard Law right when they weren't sure they could make the next car payment, let alone tuition... The more you understand the overall "scene", the better you can write it.)

MJTennant

Registered
Reaction score
What things would you say you need to remember when writing YA? I personally do not write YA, but I want to give it a try, and know little about YA. Any suggestions?
My main suggestion would be to read LOADS of YA books and get a feel for how to write in a format that will appeal to a younger audience.

How exciting to be embarking on a new project! Good luck!

I am going to try my hand at writing something else next year (maybe a sci-fi). I write YA (Dark) Romance at the moment.

I think trying new things keeps your writing fresh!

M J x

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just a note that this thread was started in 2008, so folks aren’t directly responding to the OP. New questions or general advice is good here.