Do you ever tell an agent how much you care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
If you received a request from a really top, super agent, would it hurt to to let them know they are your top choice? I have had some big agents request my stuff in the past, but this one is so right on every level. Should I just play it cool or can I say I love you (in other words, of course)? And if I should say something, how do I say it without sounding stupid? I have had so many close calls, but this time I really, really want it, need it. Help. Or do I just play it cool and send everything off like it is nothing. Why does trying to get an agent feel so much like dating?

MoonWriter

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I would remain distant and professional until he/she agrees to represent you. Then, I'd propose.

VGrossack

bored fan with a tic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tapestryofbronze.com
I think you should play it cool - unless - you have information that you can share that will help the agent realize that you would be a good author to represent. Hopefully, however, you have done this already. At this point you should focus on meeting the agent's needs and desires and not emphasize your own.

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
Why does trying to get an agent feel so much like dating?
Gettyby, I have no great advice for you but I just wanted you to know, I feel the same way! Everytime the phone rings I think is it the agent?? then feel that disappointment when its someone else.

This waiting is killing me! You are not alone!

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Its a business relationship. To take you on they must believe they can make money out of you - that is all that matters. It helps if you get on - it helps a lot, but it is still a business relationship.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
If you can congratulate the agent on a recent sale, I'd say that's about as personal as you should get. The last thing you want is to look like you'll be calling everyday and murmuring "Play Misty for me."

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Ditto to all of the above--you really have no choice but to remain professional. That's what the agent expects from you and everyone else s/he represents.

Exir

Out of the cradle endlessly rocking
Registered
Reaction score
Literary agents are no different from ANY middlemen or agency in other markets. If you are seeking a house and walk up to a real-estate agent, will you go and say, "oh agent, I love you, you are the one I have been seeking all along"?

I hope not.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
If you received a request from a really top, super agent, would it hurt to to let them know they are your top choice? I have had some big agents request my stuff in the past, but this one is so right on every level. Should I just play it cool or can I say I love you (in other words, of course)? And if I should say something, how do I say it without sounding stupid? I have had so many close calls, but this time I really, really want it, need it. Help. Or do I just play it cool and send everything off like it is nothing. Why does trying to get an agent feel so much like dating?

Man, I'd pay cash money to watch somsone tell an agent "I love you." That would be so awesome. Just the image made me smile!

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
The question made me smile too. Except that seekingan agent is worse than dating, because in dating, at least there's a chance you'll have a good time, whether or not you find love.

But as for answering the question, put it this way. If you got a letter professing love from someone you'd never met--worse, based entirely on a service you could provide--what would you think?

I'd suggest saving your declaration until said agent has done something to justify it. I suspect both of you will be happier that way.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Man, I'd pay cash money to watch somsone tell an agent "I love you." That would be so awesome. Just the image made me smile!

If I'm paying cash to watch, I want something more than "I love you". That'd get a funny look, but we could do better.

Such as:

"I love you so much! You're my soul mate, my one true love! I want to be with you forever and ever, and get married and have your babies (even though we're both women). I'm never letting you out of my sight again!"

Something like that would cause blind panic. Probably some fleeing too. It might also get the person arrested for being a crazy stalker, but you can't win them all.

Anyway, tangent over. Back to the thread...

brainstrains

4-8-8-4
Registered
Reaction score
I was so excited when my agent called to offer representation that I blurted out, "I don't need to think! You're my first choice! Here's my firstborn."

Or something like that.

There was this uncomfortable silence, after which she said, "Wow, thanks" but really meant, "Wow, I just offered to rep a freak."

Still, it worked out. I probably should have waited. I think she was happy to have someone who was so enthusiastic about her on her list. So many authors try so hard to play it cool because that's what we're SUPPOSED to do, but I don't think any agent would fault you for being genuinely excited and appreciative for the opportunity to work with them.

Oh, and now my agent and I tell each other "I love you" all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.