Chip shrapnel

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Okay, ya bunch o' chefs - what's a body to do when it buys a bag of chips (tortilla, potato, cheese-coated nonsense, whatever) in good faith and finds to great dismay that it's largely ant-spoils-of-war-sized crumbs?

Are there any clever, tasty uses for chip shrapnel?

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I call that 'krunkles' and it's only good for topping tuna casserole.

Wait... didn't someone make cookies of some kind out of potato chips?

::zips off to Google::

POTATO CHIP COOKIES

1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 c. butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. potato chips, crushed (1 twin pack bag)
2 tsp. vanilla
3 c. flour
2 c. nuts, chopped

Cream sugar, butter, and eggs. Add rest of ingredients and mix well. Form into balls, place on cookie sheet. Flatten with fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Makes 5 dozen cookies.

Sarita

carpe noctem
Registered
Reaction score
Food processor. Make bread/tortilla crumbs. I do it with the left over wraps that I'm not going to get around to eating. Toast them, whiz around in the processor. Shazam. Tortilla crumbs. Great on fish.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd never heard those little bits referred to as "chip shrapnel" before. Now I know what to call them. :D

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Much food processor. Milk or egg dip. Coat chicken or fish. Fry. Yum.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feed the birds. Tuppence a bag. Tuppence, tuppence, tuppence a bag.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
One of our favorite snacks around our house is chocolate covered potato chips. They're easy to make and the combination of crunch, salt, and sweet chocolate is addicting. When I've used up and coated all of the whole chips, I make 'haystacks' out of the shrapnel and drizzle the chocolate over them.

1 bag of milk chocolate morsels*
1 bag of Ruffles potato chips

Melt the morsels in your microwave. Using a pastry brush, coat each side of a potato chip with the melted chocolate. Place on a wire rack or waxed paper to harden and dry. Continue until you use up all whole chips, then make 'haystacks' using the broken chips and drizzle melted chocolate over each stack until the top is coated. Allow chips to harden and dry completely. Store in plastic bags hidden from other members of your household. Relocate your chip stash regularly or your family members will devour them in less than one hour. :D

*If you prefer, you can use semi-sweet or dark chocolate morsels.

Last edited:

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Stephanie beat me to my suggestion. I use the "crumblies" for encrusting fish. Good stuff.

Brianm-- Thank you so much. Now I have to go to the store. This I gotta try.

CBumpkin

I can do this...
Registered
Reaction score
:Lecture: Ok, I'll be the wet blanket. Don't feed that stuff to the birds! You'll clog their little arteries. Seriously. Not good for the birds.

brianm

Brian Boru
Registered
Reaction score
The desert of S. California and the coast of N. Ir
Brianm-- Thank you so much. Now I have to go to the store. This I gotta try.

The first time I had them was when I was visiting friends in Florida. We went to her favorite candy store and after I tasted one I bought five pounds.

I was ordering them online @$20.00 per pound plus shipping. Wee bit expensive, no? So, I bought a bag of Ruffles and milk chocolate morsels and made them myself. Frankly, there is no difference, except the price.

By the by, I prefer them made with milk chocolate. My better half prefers semi-sweet.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Reporting in -

Heat a third of an inch of oil in a skillet.

Take small sections of clean, patted-dry, orange roughy and powder them heavily in cornstarch. Then goop them good with a mixture of beaten egg and seasoned salt. Then roll the mess in a shallow bowl full of finely crushed tortilla chip shrapnel.

Fry in oil, approx three minutes each side. Serve with tabasco and mango salsa.

'Tis very, very good.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I mix crushed potato chips with a little thyme, sage and garlic and use it to coat chicken before baking it.

Crushed corn chips get mixed with some dill. This is also great with cornflakes BTW. Don't forget cereal shrapnel. For extra nutrition, I'll buy something like Total whole wheat and crush them with dill to cook my chicken in. Gotta sneak healthy stuff in when the kids aren't looking.

For sweet treats, I'll roll peanut butter cookies in crushed cereal and then bake.

Kitrianna

Official Bad Cat's Prez
Registered
Reaction score
In one of THOSE moods. Look out people, no one is
I never worry about shrapnel of any sort...Kthrok will just tip up the bag against his mouth and eat them. That and we don't usually have chips in the house cause I don't eat them. Come to think of it, I hardly eat anything...