Unexpected Lessons

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
I like to draw lines to connect ideas in my head. It helps me understand the way things work a little better. I saw this line while watching different artists' how-to-paint videos (they relax me... I know it's weird), which helped to ease my mind about my own writing process. I thought it might ease someone else's mind too. So I'll share.

Every painter has a different method. Some "start with the bones" as my father always taught me. Some start with the flesh and add the bones later. They use all kinds of different brushes, paints and tools. Many of them swear by the way they choose to paint, but I look at the finished projects and they're beautiful, no matter how they began.

So I think maybe painting is like writing that way. Whether you write linear or scattered, whether you write every day or in passionate spurts, what matters is the finished product. The trick is to find what works for you.

Anyway, that's what I thought as I watched those painters be their amazing selves. And I'm wondering if anyone else has drawn connections like that. What do other, seemingly unrelated things teach you about writing?

Too cheesy? It could be fun though. :)

Last edited:

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Photography -- the idea of focusing and centering on the most important point in a scene.

Music -- starting with a good theme and building on it, deeper and deeper. Building intensity vs. quiet moments. Music and writing go together, both evoke mental images and stir the emotions. A piece of music doesn't have to be written all in order, neither does a novel. The ear gets tired and needs to rest in order to hear as if the music were new. Listening in a different place changes everything. Same with writing; quieting your thoughts lets the words come through as they really are, without old associations to overwrite them in your mind.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Acting. Many moons ago, I learned about blocking a scene and structuring to give focus to what's important. It's helped me tremendously over the years as a trial lawyer and as a writer. I've learned to direct the audience's attention.

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
I paint and sculpt and draw. I really see the parallels in the creative arts.

TrickyFiction

Who?
Registered
Reaction score
Music -- starting with a good theme and building on it, deeper and deeper. Building intensity vs. quiet moments. Music and writing go together, both evoke mental images and stir the emotions. A piece of music doesn't have to be written all in order, neither does a novel. The ear gets tired and needs to rest in order to hear as if the music were new. Listening in a different place changes everything. Same with writing; quieting your thoughts lets the words come through as they really are, without old associations to overwrite them in your mind.

I love when music parallels writing. My husband is a musician (orchestral) and he dabbles in composition too. It's so much fun to find things we have in common even though he never writes and I can't even read music.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Painting/drawing helps me with my descriptions -- colors, texture, composition, structure, etc.

Acting helps me with my dialogue, action, and characterization.

Music helps me with my pacing, timing, cadence, texture, layers, movements, etc. -- I wrote in a blog about the parallels between music and writing.

aka eraser

Fish Whisperer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.frankbaron.com
Interesting thread.

All the arts are interconnected. We're all trying to interpret and communicate our version of reality, using different media. It makes sense that some might borrow a technique from one discipline to apply to another.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Painting/drawing & cooking parallel writing for me. You need the basics and grab 'em at the end with something the audience wants to come back for.

Status
Not open for further replies.