Setting/Genre issue

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
I am currently preparing research for a set of novellas set in Perry County, Pennsylvania. But I was wondering whether or not a story set in (very) rural Pennsylvania between the Mexican-American and Civil War could be called a Western, if other genre elements were present-- namely, a sense of lawlessness, and interaction with Native Americans. In addition, there are 'independent' male figures and the story is a moral allegory.

Other things to note: the language is more literary; violence occurs infrequently but - when it occurs - it is brutal and unglorified; there is a strong religious element; there is more than one first person narrator.

Any help on this topic is appreciated.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think I would call that historical fiction rather than a western.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
I second the historical fiction. I think there's been too much stretching on the definition for locale and time period for westerns, and, in my opinion, Pennsylvania between the Mexican War and the Civil War is way beyond what I've already seen stretched. Puma

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, you're probably better off with historical, at least market wise - not a bad thing. Puma

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
What Puma said, in spades. Historical's doing fine...Old West? More of a stretch, as my agent tells me daily. (*sigh* Hey, my novel set in the Old West is at the 3rd publisher...3rd time's the charm right? No one say, "Or 3 strikes and you're out," okay? LOL)

I could be wrong, but you're pretty well safe saying historical for any locale, but if you're doing any related to the Old West, figure most of the action needs to take place West of the Mississippi.