"complete links" vs one-way

nancy sv

30 months on a bicycle...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.familyonbikes.com
Someone just told me today the Google looks more favorably upon "complete links" - links that go back and forth, as opposed to only one-way. So - if I link to a website and they link back, Google thinks that's a better link than someone linking to me and I don't return it. I thought linking back was just a matter of courtesy, but I'm the first to admit that I"m totally ignorant about this blogging stuff.

So - are complete links better?

Deleted member 42

Yes, you get a bit more juice for returned links, but that's really more true for static pages than blog /dynamic pages.

But honestly, if you want to rank well, the key is to write well, and write interestingly so that people will link to a post and page and comment on it, and you then get more readers, who will find something interesting and will link and post about it . . .

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Usually people say it the other way around, as all your links being reciprocal implies you might be doing link exchanges to try and boost your ranking. Google gets a bit antsy at people trying to fool it. No one really knows for sure though (like most Google stuff).

A good rule of thumb is to design your site for humans. Google gets better all the time at telling apart natural sites from ones trying to game the system. If someone suggests a change to up your ranking, and that change would be bad for your human visitors, don't do it. Removing useful links because they haven't linked back is bad for your human visitors.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
"So - are complete links better?"

No.

I agree with what Polenth said.

Btw, Polenth. Congrats on winning Nathan's contest. I voted for you. :)