Do You Judge a Book by its Cover?

Alice.S

just ate all your candy
Registered
Reaction score
About two years ago, I was looking for a book to read and I found a tattered old book, its cover was a plain beige colour with no writing. The expression "Don't judge a book by its cover" entered my head. So I sat down and started to read...I couldn’t put it down..it was so good!!..I spent the whole day just reading this book...it made me laugh, cry and think about the world around me...it's my all time favourite book...all because I didn't judge it by its cover. :D

The Book: Ethel Turner's Seven Little Australians

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't ignore a book just because of its cover, but an intriguing book cover and/or title can sometimes make me pick up and book to see what it's about when ordinarily I might not.

I'm glad you found a great book you enjoy. It's always fun when you stumble upon a discovery like that. I've done that with several authors.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm book shopping, titles and covers have always gotten me to pick up and examine a book. The small bit that's usually on the back cover describing the plot is next, and then reading a few pages follows that.

I go to Goodwill often and browse their books. Many of them are hardback books that have lost the glossy book cover. Unless the title really calls to me, I rarely even pick them up.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
I just read a paperback I got from Goodwill several years ago, Erich Segal's Love Story. It had been sitting in my parents' basement for awhile. Black mold. Good thing it was short.

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I don't go by the pix so much, most fantasy cover is a rehash of MTH and KAH (mightily thewed hero and kick-ass heroine) though I do miss the old Vallejo covers. I go for the author then whittle down by the blurb.

Captshady

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
I just read a paperback I got from Goodwill several years ago, Erich Segal's Love Story. It had been sitting in my parents' basement for awhile. Black mold. Good thing it was short.

ROFL! I'd only be more impressed if you had to get medical treatment after reading it.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When the cover says "DANIEL STEEL," I tend to judge very harshly.

EriRae

:P
Registered
Reaction score
When the cover says "DANIEL STEEL," I tend to judge very harshly.

I actually picked up a Danielle Steel book this year, after a hiatus since junior high. (I'm trying to read a quota of books this year and didn't have something to read one night, and a friend offered.) I had several moments when I was jarred out of the story by sentence structure or ending with a preposition--she should know better than that, right?--but once I was into the story, it didn't bother me. She can definitely tell a story.

Of course, if you're referring to a typo of her name, I would also judge that harshly. How can you judge a book by its cover if the name is misspelled?

ETA...I suppose there could be an author out there named Daniel Steel, whom I have most likely offended. I am sorry.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I really like the covers for Penguin classics that have reproductions of old paintings on them. Dead Souls, for instance, has one by Chagall on it.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I don't go by the pix so much, most fantasy cover is a rehash of MTH and KAH (mightily thewed hero and kick-ass heroine) though I do miss the old Vallejo covers. I go for the author then whittle down by the blurb.
MTH? KAH? Wha?

And I'm old school, I still miss Frazetta. Frazetta on a book cover guaranteed I'd buy it.
Recommendation.

Most of the books I read, I read because someone whose judgement I trust has recommended them to me.
I do the same with music and films.
I don't trust anyone's judgement. My tastes are so bizarro eclectic that even if two authors are similar and I like one, odds are good that I won't like the other.

Buying new books is a frustrating experience for me. Like hunting for easter eggs in a mine field.

Angelinity

absent
Registered
Reaction score
My criteria for buying a book, in this order: Genre (I don't buy Romance, apologies to Romance writers... oh, unless it's a gift for someone who prefers the genre), Author, Reviews (whose and for what reason(s)), Preview (I always read a few pages before deciding if it's for me).

If the author is unknown, it always comes down to the quality of the writing. Unless it's a non-fiction book on a topic I am really interested in.

The cover has little to do with my decision to buy.

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
Almost always. The exception would be if I'm already aware of the book beforehand because of a friend's recommendation or a review.

As someone in marketing, I know how important the title and the cover is to the sell. Freakonomics, for example, was huge in large part because of the title's power to get consumers' interest.

Unless you're a known entity and people are going to buy your book regardless, the title and cover art are very important indeed.

chewysweet

Registered
Reaction score
I am a person who judge a book by its covers. There are so many books out there;it's so difficult to choose. I like covers which are not too old with pretty graphics. Catchy titles will catch my attention too!

Darzian

To-to-to-ron-to
Registered
Reaction score
Due to my limited budget, I generally buy books that are screaming in the news, eg. The Wheel of Time, Farseer trilogy, Elantris, Mistborn, A Song of Ice and Fire, etc....

When I DO buy a book by myself with no recommendation from anywhere, title and cover do play a role. First of all, I dislike carrying about a book with a corny cover that may make my friends laugh at me, regardless of the content. I know at least one person who strips off their cover and replaces it with cardboard.

Catchy covers are always a plus. I also get intrigued when there is nothing on the cover other than the title and author.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Although I definitely don't judge a book by its cover, when browsing in a bookstore I will definitely pick up and look at a book with what I consider to be a great cover.