Budgeting (a.k.a. What I've Learned Recently)

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Very nice!

What I like most about having money in a savings account (or money market account or security GIC or whatever they call it) is that the money earns interest. There's something very satisfying about watching the total grow on its own without your having to add more. Though of course I do add more, because I like that total being big BIG BIG.

Then the government taxes my interest. And I am SAD.

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
How would I go about turning off my freezer while running the fridge? Would that help with energy efficiency? Do you think my electricity bill will decrease?

My freezer is empty, minus two popsicles and a ziploc baggie full of pecans. The popsicles can be eaten today, and the pecans will go to my pet mouse.

(My freezer is the upper half of my refrigerator, in case you were wondering. ;))

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How would I go about turning off my freezer while running the fridge? Would that help with energy efficiency? Do you think my electricity bill will decrease?

My freezer is empty, minus two popsicles and a ziploc baggie full of pecans. The popsicles can be eaten today, and the pecans will go to my pet mouse.

(My freezer is the upper half of my refrigerator, in case you were wondering. ;))
I don't know how to turn off the Freezer only, but it will run more efficiently if you fill it. Youc ould just put containers of water that'll freeze. Same goes for the fridge. I put water jugs when it starts to empty out.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
There's a great number of personal finance blogs out there - I read a bunch of them daily. They're all regular people who went from a financial catastrophe or downward spiral and turned around to conscientious saving and spending. Some are frugality experts, some are investors, some are freelancers just getting by.

I personally don't have a budget. I have a non-budget budget - budget for dummies. I direct deposit or auto-schedule all my payments and withdrawals (including savings). Everything that is left over is fair game, but it's not a lot because I force myself to save. I put misc. expenses on a cash back credit card, and I know to never go over a certain limit, then pay it off every month. Cash in hand is the enemy to me.

Pay yourself first if you can - make saving a priority, no matter how small, and then just don't touch it. Use an online account for better interest rates (3% and up).

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I agree with sass about the water jugs. I use store brand freezer bags, fill them with ice, then store them in the freezer. Helps fill the freezer up so it doesn't run as much. Also, in a power outage, you can put those bags of ice (or frozen water jug) in the fridge to keep the food cold.

Now here's something I noticed: If you have to go to Wal-Mart or whatever store, calculate the amount of gas you'd use and the cost, then go online and see if that store has the same thing (also use currentcodes.com for extra savings), check out the shipping and handling charge, and see if you'll save money by buying the items online.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
It does feel wonderful. I had an extra check this month (today's), and so the final payment was a little over that check, but the bill is completely gone.

Now I just need to save up some more money and get rid of a few more bills. But I very much have a happy feeling going on today.

Marian Perera

starting over
Registered
Reaction score
Heaven is a place on earth called Toronto.
Website
www.marianperera.com
Hope no one minds me bumping up this thread, but I've recently found a few ways to save money/earn more money that I'd like to add...

1. A co-worker asked if I wanted to go shopping after work, and I agreed more for the social aspect of it than for the shopping. We work in a medical laboratory network's call centre, so we hardly have any time to talk; we're always on the phones. I thought we would go to the mall and I could window-shop (clothes can be so pricey there) and maybe I'd buy some hot chocolate as a consolation prize.

Instead, she drove us to this huge factory outlet which had the same clothes I'd seen in Suzy Shier, Stitches and so on in the mall, except much cheaper. I like vests, so when a denim vest had gone on sale in the mall for $12 months ago, I'd bought it and thought it was a bargain. The same vest was in the factory outlet for $2.50.

I ended up buying three vests, three blouses, a scarf and a pair of shoes for just over $50 - all new, name-brand and in good condition. Early Christmas present for myself. :)

2. I happened to mention to my friend's brother that I used to write students' essays in the Middle East to earn extra money, and he said his fiancee needed someone to edit and proofread her papers. For the papers I've done this month, that should be about $55... which will cover the cost of the Christmas present.

This is something I'd love to do more often - use my writing skills and earn money for doing so.

3. I found a beauty college near my apartment where a shampoo, cut and style costs only $7.50. It's all done by students, but they're being graded, so they do a good job and take as much time as they need (there are always more students than customers). I tip the student $2, so I can get my hair done for less than $10.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
Hope no one minds me bumping up this thread, but I've recently found a few ways to save money/earn more money that I'd like to add...

...... I found a beauty college near my apartment where a shampoo, cut and style costs only $7.50. It's all done by students, but they're being graded, so they do a good job and take as much time as they need (there are always more students than customers). I tip the student $2, so I can get my hair done for less than $10.

I do this several times a year to keep myself neat and professional looking.

First of all at a regular salon, to walk in is $25.00 for a 'shampoo'. With a $25.00 'shampoo' you walk out with unconditioned wet hair.

When you add $5.00 for conditioner, $10.00 for long hair, $15.00 for trimming split ends, and an other $20.00 each for blow dry and flat iron with a tip it can be over $100.00

Not to mention some of the worst hair results I've ever had have been from 'upscale' salons.

At the Beauty schol they are working hard to pass their task, and get practice. The teachers are always there, hanging over the shoulder advising, correcting...

I get out spending less than $25.00.
I want to add, that the 'matron' of the beauty school advised her student ( and by default, me) as to what to do to reverse serious damage a salon had done almost a year earlier.

Oh, and for those of you who shop on line, I discovered this website called Mr. Rebates (MRREBATES.COM).

The website allows you to shop at your places and when you order through their links, you collect anywhere from 2% to 10% back on your purchase. At no charge to you.

In using this website I discovered that some of the things in 'brick and mortar' stores like Target and Circuit City are sometimes marked down by $10 to $30 as an on line purchase. and they offer free shipping in some cases. In other cases they ship it to your local store.

(So I can go into the store and buy it off the shelf for $149.00, but if I order on line and have them
ship it to my local store...I
pay $99.00 and I get a 5% rebate.....)

So you can see why I'm happy.
And it hasn't generated spam, which is a great and fine thing.

I wanted to pull this up because since I started using this, I've gotten close to $100.00 in rebates without any effort.

BTW: now that gas has gone back down, I keep the same gas budget of $50.00 per week. But I'm only using $23.00 a week. The difference is going into an auto repair fund.

I just bought tires.

Fraulein

Spooks? Where are you?...
Registered
Reaction score
If I were to tell you, then that would be cheating
I think hair schools are a good bargain, too. I would avoid them for coloring though. One of my friends ended up with grayish blonde hair, instead of a warm blonde, as a result.

I'm considering an Aveda training school for a loose wave and a trim. They charge $50 to perm long hair, which I think is a good deal. The trim is affordable, too, at $15. :e2file: