Description of broken bone - does this sound right?

Kalyke

Registered
Reaction score
Greenstick fracture of ulna. Green stick is more of a crack than a break completely through. About 2 weeks in most likely a soft cast/ split, or a hard cast with sling (this all depends on the doctor The injury requires protection. It is still a broken bone but it is a minor broken bone. Any bunging on a table will bring severe pain). She would do some physical therapy-- squeezing tennis ball, rotating (slowly) the injured arm. She would probably be at work after a day off
Some Hydrocodone for a few days. Ask doctor about meds. Hydrocodone seems to be the flavor of the month these days.

What happens at hosp? It would not be an "emergency emergency," so she'd probably have to wait in the waiting lobby till an opening. It is QUITE possible that they would X-ray, look at it, give her pain pills, put a soft cast (flexible bandages) on it, and tell her to go home and make an appointment with orthopedics for the next day. I has a friend who broke an arm and they did just this and his arm was a severe break. The point is, they don't cast until the area is not swollen. If you cast with swelling you have a loose cast.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Use Her Name, that is very helpful.

She_wulf

that's me
Registered
Reaction score
Website
CaliaWilde.com
Questions...
What would you call a simple break?

I'd say a hairline fracture would be the ticket. Here's why....

My daughter had a hairline fracture in the small bone of her forearm. She got it because she put her hands out to catch herself on the way down and most of her weight compressed the bone and cause a crack that ran from her wrist to about two and a half inches up the bone.

She will have a neighbor drive her to emergency room. What will take place once she arrives, specific to her broken arm? Xrays? Cast? Permanant cast? Temporary cast? How long does the "casting" take?

Will she be released to go home as soon as she is in the cast? I assume she will be on pain killers for a few days?

How long will she have to wear the cast?
She had to have a cast that immobilized her wrist. The hospital trip took about a half hour before a doctor/PA saw her, then X-rays which took another hour at least. There was a long wait between X-rays and the PA returning. It may even have been a different "doctor" (we never did see a "real" doctor). So about two hours after arriving we were told the extent of the break. She'd been given an ice pack that was completely melted/warm by that point so a nurse brought in another one. She was finally given Tylenol at that point. It really didn't have an effect because we'd been waiting so long and it wasn't strong enough to combat the pain.

About twenty minutes after being told what kind of break it was, seeing the fuzzy black and white pictures (where the young med student/intern pointed out the hairline) and after reading all the magazines in the room, plus the stupid posters (two or more years old) on the walls, the directions for how to use the blood pressure cuff...opening drawers (which my daughter yelled at me for doing. Sue me, I was curious and we were left to our own devices...) Where was I? Oh yeah...

Anyways...twenty minutes later a nurse came in and wrapped up her arm. ***I think they put her in a soft cast and then later put on the colorful cast, so it may have been two trips. Sorry, it was almost ten years ago. *** First they put a sock on her arm which is really a sleeve of stretchy cotton spandex. Then there was a cotton batting like material. When they put it on they began applying the quick set plaster strips. On top of that was another "colorful" coating made of something. I believe it may have fiberglass in it because it set up very hard. I didn't pay much attention to that part because I had been interrupted after finding a drawer with some funny looking metal pointing things in it...ooo shiny!

I remember the nurse asking her what color she wanted. There was a choice between navy, white, hot pink, green (neon), orange..um red? There's even "patterned" coverings. I think camouflage and flowered were two choices. Maybe a nurse could answer that. Morgan chose hot pink. We got to leave as soon as the paperwork was signed.

After about two weeks it didn't hurt her much and she stopped taking Tylenol/etc. for it. They never prescribed her pain medication either because she was a child, or because it wasn't necessary so I think you're MC could do without. However, doctors (perhaps) are a bit more lenient or ready to prescribe medication for adults because 1) they may sue, and 2) face it, adults are wusses and complain more about the pain.

She had to keep it on for six weeks. She only needed a sling for the first four days. After that, she just slung it around like a club. It came in handy on the playground. (She was eight.)

How would she feel immediately after it breaks? I've read through this post and the linked post, and see a wide range of feelings after various broken bones. Is there anything specific to a minor broken arm?
I don't know about how Morgan felt with her arm but I've broken two bones and here's my impressions of the pain.

Break #1
broken finger (hit a wall instead of a person and made the mistake of not checking where the stud was...) an ache-y sort of pain, but not much sharp pain except for when I moved it, then it felt exactly like it was supposed to...rough bone shifting around amidst tendons and muscle. It was as if someone put something inside my hand and was twisting it around but coming from the inside out not the outside in - does that make sense? It was also accompanied by a numb feeling, slight bruising and couldn't close my hand because it swelled slightly.

I went for X-rays a day later which confirmed it was broken. They put a cast on. (Plain white in those days) The pain and numbness continued until the cast came off. To this day the bone is bent and when it rains or gets cold it aches. I didn't get pain meds.

Break #2 my little toe
There was immediate pain. A sort of OMG I wanna curl up into a fetal ball and cry type pain. (I was an adult by this point and major wussing was going on) I could hobble on it, but was not comfortable putting shoes on. X-rays confirmed a hairline (less severe than green stick type) fracture but because it is primarily used for standing/walking etc. and balance it gave me problems for months.

The doctor prescribed medication, but I was allergic to it. Then she prescribed something else which I had a reaction to. Lucky me...can't take codeine or similar, can't take opiates (allergies) and the synthetics give me stomach problems...whoot! Not. I took Motrin chased by Tylenol four hours later. Then Motrin three hours after that.(A trick I learned when my girls were little and would spike fevers between doses)

I had a "boot" which is a Frankenstein shoe with canvas straps to make it adjustable. No cast. After I got the ok to stop wearing it I still hobbled for a long time. I had to "relearn" how to walk correctly because I spent so much time avoiding putting weight on that side of my foot it had changed my gait. In retrospect the fracture in my hand was much more severe, but the silly foot injury sidelined me more.

Hope that helps.

Amy

Last edited:

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Cut and paste. Cut and paste.
;) Kidding.
But, great information. That is going to help so much.
The incident takes place towards the end of the story and I needed something to stall my character temporarily. The broken arm works great.
I'd written the broken arm it in, but, I just wrote a bunch of jibber jabber about what I thought she would be going through. Thanks again for the help in turning my jibber jabber into a real life scenario.

Ashmash467

Registered
Reaction score
You hear the snap before the pain. Trust me I broke my tibia and fibula as a kid and sat there wondering what that snap was, then I shifted and felt like my leg was covered in acid. I thought I was dying. There was pain quite literally throbbing up my leg in waves that sent my onto my back. Depending on there the break is the pain reception can be different. Age can also change the way people receive the pain. But to me as a twelve year old, fire burning into my bones was what I felt. A broken finger will hurt like a bitch, but a broken leg or ribs is much more painful via movement of any kind.