Live or die: Which would you choose?

cethklein

Registered
Reaction score
Say you committed a completely heinous crime (Doesn't matter what, say something horrible like serial murder, high treason, or burning down a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup factory.)

Assume then you would either get life in prison or you could be executed. Which would you prefer? Would you rather live out the rest of your life holed up in a small cell with no possiblity of parole, or would you rather be put on death row.

Explain your answer.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
I would choose to live. Because then there would be a chance - no matter how slim or unrealistic that I might one day get out of jail.

Besides, I've seen and read Stephen King's "Shawshank Redemption". I would then get a poster and begin tunneling out a little bit at a time. It would take years, yes, but it worked for Andy Dufrense.;)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would live in my small cell and write a book and go on the Oprah Show.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm capable of living a decent life largely inside my mind, whether my body's in a cell or this house, so I'll take the life sentence, please. And I'm going to win over my cellmate, too, so I ain't nobody's bitch but hers.

Maryn, considering prison tats

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm with Maryn--but no cell mate, please.

(Spoken like a true sociopath...)

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
Give me the needle. I couldn't live inside that cell without totally going nuts. I'm way too claustrophobic for something like that.

~Kristie, who doesn't even like hotel rooms for too long.

Mandy-Jane

venturing ever further into the unknown
Registered
Reaction score
I will complete a play this year! I will!
I'd take the cell. I don't want to run the risk of being injected by unqualified people and suffer an anagonising death that lasts for hours. As long as they gave me books, writing paper and the occasional glass of wine, I'd be okay. I could also live quite happily not having to make decisions and just do what I'm told when I'm told.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some other things that would affect my decision: How does find peace with oneself with all that time to brood upon the guilt? There are ways, but that would be a frightening prospect.

And are there books?

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Say you committed a completely heinous crime (Doesn't matter what, say something horrible like serial murder, high treason, or burning down a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup factory.)

Assume then you would either get life in prison or you could be executed. Which would you prefer? Would you rather live out the rest of your life holed up in a small cell with no possiblity of parole, or would you rather be put on death row.

Explain your answer.

WOW whoever burns down a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup factory should be dipped in boiling chocolate. :)

Not really faced with the problem, I would have to say life... You could write, read, and communicate with family... if you are dead you can't.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Four square meals each day plus all the sex I could ever want. Doesn't seem much of a choice to me.

-Derek

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
Four square meals each day plus all the sex I could ever want. Doesn't seem much of a choice to me.

-Derek

LOL.... but four square meals????

I hope you like bologna.... according to my daughter who served time for drugs.... that was all she ate...

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
give me death. Since I believe in reincarnation, I'm coming back again soon anyway.

on the other hand, I could live with the jail sentence as long as I had books to read (but I think I'll pass on the man-rape)

Joycecwilliams

Registered
Reaction score
give me death. Since I believe in reincarnation, I'm coming back again soon anyway.

on the other hand, I could live with the jail sentence as long as I had books to read (but I think I'll pass on the man-rape)

What if you came back as a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup? :)

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
I choose life, too. At least that way, I could still see my family, and like someone said above, there is always a chance I would get out.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Life. If I had done such horrible things (except Reeses factory - I hate peanut butter), I should spend my life reflecting on it. Death is a cop out. Besides, I don't believe in the death sentence. Plus I've heard prison sex is hot.

Last edited:

DWSTXS

Mr Mojo Risin...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pbase.com
Life. If I had done such horrible things (except Reeses factory - I hate peanut butter), I should spend my life reflecting on it. Death is a cop out. Besides, I don't believe in the life sentence. Plus I've heard prison sex is hot.

The only way that prison sex is hot, is if you're accidentally thrown into the women's prison.
Now that, I'd take a life sentence of, no problem.

(it wasn't wine that I'd had too much of, it was a, double-shot of my baby's love...)

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some other things that would affect my decision: How does find peace with oneself with all that time to brood upon the guilt? There are ways, but that would be a frightening prospect.

And are there books?

A lifetime of brooding would never bring the needed peace from guilt. The only thing left is redemption...and that could lead to at least one book (maybe the one you'd write after you found that redemption/peace?).

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I echo that guilt is useless. One must find peace some other way -- enlightenment, redemption, acceptance, etc. To know you've done wrong and how you can be a better person. Guilt and reparation don't benefit anyone.

Last edited:

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clean house all day, work, make food for the ungreatful, ref fights and drive the ungreatful around all day or a quiet cell with food and tv?

Let me think.