• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Fiction Editor Needed

• Thread starter EditingServices
  • Start date

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
dragonjax said:
If scammers need only a proofread, then they can get away with the two-page approach. But if they need a real edit, it won't help them at all. Editing is subjective, especially developmental editing--and even copy editing, to a degree, in terms of consistency of style.

True. I do copyediting and proofreading both (but not developmental editing). By sending two pages to a variety of editors, even for copyediting, a person could end up with some wild swings in style. But he or she could get a free proofreading, at least. However, when I consider the amount of work it would require to contact and send a sample to 100 or more different editors...I can't imagine anyone doing that.

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Eussie is also a member of other writing boards and getting tons of "advice".I think its a matter of time before she offers the edit contest on those.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe so, DragonJax; but I can tell a lot about a copyeditor from seeing two pages of their work. A quarter-page will tell me whether they've used an approved shade of colored pencil, rather than ink or graphite pencil. One page will tell me whether they know basic protocols, like how to mark chapter starts. Two pages should tell me whether they know their marks, and whether they're using proofreaders' marks on a copyedit. At that length I may be able to spot things like a nonfiction copyeditor who's tried fiction copyediting, and gone badly astray with it.

I can generally spot overall bad judgement from a small sample of work, but it takes a larger sample to verify that their judgement's good.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
What are the approved shades of colored pencils? And why do I always think it's not the ones I can find in the school supply section of the local discount store?

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
tinasamuels said:
Eussie is also a member of other writing boards and getting tons of "advice".I think its a matter of time before she offers the edit contest on those.

Feel free to provide links to the threads back here just as an FYI to the members of those boards.

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
XThe NavigatorX said:
This is a micro version of Victoria's theory, that all scammers get caught once they get greedy. The difference here is it all happened in a matter of hours. I'd almost think it was funny if she hadn't decided to throw the $5 fee in there. At that point it went from being stupid to being criminal. :crazy:

i'm with the others. . . how stupid can you be to post a scam on your own board? not smart . . . especially here. but i guess it takes all types.

but, i have a sadder theory. what if she posted her dubious scheme here to get the kinks out before moving it elsewhere? sounds probable.

and, it is copyright infringement for those dolls. not good. when it comes down i would hate to be her. companies are getting stricter and harsher with going after people hacking, copying, and pirating images, software, and any type of product. as we all should be aware of in this current age of computer techno gadgets.

A.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
HapiSofi said:
Maybe so, DragonJax; but I can tell a lot about a copyeditor from seeing two pages of their work. A quarter-page will tell me whether they've used an approved shade of colored pencil, rather than ink or graphite pencil. One page will tell me whether they know basic protocols, like how to mark chapter starts. Two pages should tell me whether they know their marks, and whether they're using proofreaders' marks on a copyedit. At that length I may be able to spot things like a nonfiction copyeditor who's tried fiction copyediting, and gone badly astray with it.

I can generally spot overall bad judgement from a small sample of work, but it takes a larger sample to verify that their judgement's good.
Hapi, you like to play by the rules, I can tell! ;)

For my journal, I have a more laid-back style. While we use some of the standard marks/signs, because my team is virtual, most of the corrections and suggestions are simply done in MS Word's revision mode, with parenthetical explanations/questions, when necessary. (I hate the "comments" function.) But yes, of course, there are different marks for copy editing than for proofreading. And while I'm not sure about the difference between a fiction and a non-fiction edit (the journal I work on is a business management journal, but we aim for a journalistic approach instead of, say, an academic style), I know when it's okay to bend and even break the rules to allow for artistic license. (But first, you gotta know the rules before you can break them.)

And dialing back to the scam, if Eussie needs a proofread, she'll probably get some poor slobs to do her work for her. But if she needs a thorough edit, as (I believe) her last legitimate post indicated (when she was inquiring about finding a book doctor), then she will be royally screwed.

sgtsdaughter

Nearing the end of an era
Registered
Reaction score
stuck between Wonder Woman and Lady Columbia
dragonjax said:
And dialing back to the scam, if Eussie needs a proofread, she'll probably get some poor slobs to do her work for her. But if she needs a thorough edit, as (I believe) her last legitimate post indicated (when she was inquiring about finding a book doctor), then she will be royally screwed.

that . . . and i still have a hunch that she was fishing before she put up the book doc crappola (which is the new san franscico treat ;) ). she's probally much more refined than what are thinking. most scammers are. by the time they get caught they are already on double digit scams.

but for legal sake--she could be a first timer. if so, learn your lesson dearie. scamming is evil. you will be caught. learn to "play by the game." that is how the rest of us legit writer's broke in, and you should do the same.

sorry, this scamming thing really gets me. she browsed other boards about scams too . . . i'll shut up now.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
when it comes down i would hate to be her.
I'm taking this out of context because for me, it's true out of context. I'd hate to be the kind of person who violates copyright and scams people who tried to help her.

Just pathetic.

Maryn, who isn't supposed to be here (thanks, Red Sox, for giving me a few minutes!)