What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I'm previewing Jane by April Lindner on Kindle. I haven't heard anyone say whether they liked it or not, even though it was out in front at Borders for a while, so I'm previewing it for now.

Finished The Cardturner by Louis Sachar, which was good but took me forever to read. I also read The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler (not YA), but I think I liked the movie more because some storylines were better told there and the ones that I didn't like as much were more evenly spaced with others (and my favorite was pretty heavily featured in the film). Also a greater percentage of the movie was spent talking about Jane Austen books, lol.

bertrigby

Dysfunctional dystopian
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Generation Dead by Daniel Waters. Didn't enjoy it very much - didn't feel very original, and was quite long and rambling without a lot happening.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
Just finished Generation Dead by Daniel Waters. Didn't enjoy it very much - didn't feel very original, and was quite long and rambling without a lot happening.

Agreed. I felt it was way too preachy. I don't mind my books with messages but I don't like being slapped in the face with them repeatedly.

adktd2bks

addicted to books
Registered
Reaction score
I finished The Summer of Skinny Dipping. Wasn't too impressed. I felt like the themes that were brought out in the beginning of the book were never really closed up in the end - things just kind of drift off into a different direction. Plus I knew the ending was coming and yet it felt really wrong to me. It doesn't fit the definition of romance or a light summer read as the title implies.

Not sure what I'll be reading next. Need something slow so I don't get too distracted from my writing.

DrummerGirl

Capturing the Castle
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkcrush.blogspot.com
I finished The Summer of Skinny Dipping. Wasn't too impressed. I felt like the themes that were brought out in the beginning of the book were never really closed up in the end - things just kind of drift off into a different direction. Plus I knew the ending was coming and yet it felt really wrong to me. It doesn't fit the definition of romance or a light summer read as the title implies.

Not sure what I'll be reading next. Need something slow so I don't get too distracted from my writing.

Nice summing up there. I agree :)

I just finished Anna and The French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins.

Le sigh. It was completely awesome. lovelovelove :D

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished I Am Number Four. It wasn't as great as I had hoped--most of the plot points hinged on making stupid reckless decisions for no good reason that they had previously discussed and decided to be bad ideas. The plot only worked because of the MCs' random bouts of stupidity. Besides that, it was very infodumpy, would work better as a comic book due to silliness of worldbuilding, and was basically only a YA novel because of the MC's endless moaning about not getting to spend enough time with his girlfriend.

Then attempted to read Passing Strange. I got 30 pages in, but it made no sense and seemed to glorify suicide. And come on, a really hot girl wearing too much eye makeup who can heal from all her wounds is not any type of proper zombie!

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read I Am Number Four and liked it? I've heard nothing but negative things about it.

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading No and Me by Delphine de Vigan. It's completely awesome so far. I'm loving the writing.

SillyMom25

Registered
Reaction score
I read Beautiful by Amy Reed in one sitting. It reminded me very much of the movie Thirteen. The writing was kind of stream-of-consciousness and sometimes that annoyed me, but for the most part it was beautifully written. My only problem was that I found it hard to believe that the parents were that clueless.

I have an almost 13yo, so it scared the hell out of me.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Brendan Halpin's Donorboy. It's about a 14-year-old girl whose two mothers were killed in an accident, and who then goes to live with the sperm donor. It's told all in IMs, email, and other documents, and is very voice-y. You hear from the girl and her father (both of whom are struggling) and some of their friends too. It's un-preachy and both sad and funny.

Opal

The Designated No-Stress Friend
Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading The Perks of Being a Wallflower. I was surprised to find that I actually liked it.

I'm about to start reading this book called Shadow Hills. I'm really excited to start reading it, so hopefully I won't be disappointed.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finished Paranormalcy today. Entertaining read. Great cover. It's not one of those books that's so good I'll have to read it over and over again, but it was a definitely a good way to spend a Sunday.

There's no foul language or sex, either, so I think it'd be appropriate for upper MG/lower YA readers.

Rebecca_Rogers

Registered
Reaction score
Finished an ARC of The Lying Game by Sara Shepard earlier today. Left me wanting to know more. Can't wait for the next book.

DonnaDuck

My Worlds Are Building
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.imaginewrite.net
I'm reading Sources of Light by Margaret McMullan. It's about a white girl living in 1962 Jackson, MS having just moved from Pittsburgh. I'm not sure how I'm liking it. It's kind of slow-moving.

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've borrowed Melina Marchetta's Jellicoe Road and Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan. So excited to get into reading them. My local library is a treasure trove of books. I feel like bringing over a sleeping bag and camping out there for a week.

I just finished N.K. Jemisin's Hundred Thousand Kingdoms yesterday (two times!) but that's not YA. so....

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I'm just finished Melbin Burgess's Sara's Face. Interesting, but never really engaged me. I don't think Burgess carried off his rather distanced narrative - the premise is that a journalist (who is explicitly identified with Burgess near the end) is telling the story after the fact, but it left the story somewhat at arm's length. That's clearly intentional as certain principal characters do remain semi-mysterious, but it didn't work from me. Also, there's a subplot involving a ghost which over-egged the novel and gave it too much to deal with in too short a space (65k words).

lulzy

thinking
Registered
Reaction score
Starting to read Swati Avashti's (pretty positive I spelled her name wrong) novel, Split. Heard good things about it.

moorockmomma

Registered
Reaction score
Georgia by way of Brooklyn by way of Trinidad
eyeblink-- I read Melvin Burgess's Doing It two weeks ago and I'm planning to read Sara's Face at the end of this week. I've been putting off reading it for a while now. Not sure why. Very interesting to hear your take on it, though.

As for right now, I'm about to start John Green's An Abundance of Katherines. I read Looking for Alaska late last month, so I look forward to seeing what else JG has to offer.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
eyeblink-- I read Melvin Burgess's Doing It two weeks ago and I'm planning to read Sara's Face at the end of this week. I've been putting off reading it for a while now. Not sure why. Very interesting to hear your take on it, though.

As for right now, I'm about to start John Green's An Abundance of Katherines. I read Looking for Alaska late last month, so I look forward to seeing what else JG has to offer.

An Abundance of Katherines may be my favorite John Green novel, but it's so hard to choose. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.