Plagiarism on the net

Status
Not open for further replies.

icenine

Registered
Reaction score
Recently I came across a story on the net published by an author of more than ten books, a linked series (can't say more than that); she's not well known. The story she published on her site this month (claiming it's new) is identical in plot structure to a story I've been submitting to magazines and ezines since last year. Now I know there are no new plots in the world and my plot in fact was based on a legend, but the story she claims she wrote follows an identical pattern to mine, and more, it copies the voice and style of mine. The way I'd written mine was unique (I mean very unique). Whoever this woman is, there is no doubt she copied that style and voice, too. I've no doubt she's come across my story as a slush reader. I can't imagine how else she might have seen it. Here's the thing: I used that unique voice and style in two linked stories I published two years ago. Therefore I can prove that I'd been writing in that style/voice long before this woman came and ripped off the story, plot, and voice, and then claimed it as her own. What to do?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Was the magazine that published it one that you sent it to? If so, I would contact the mag and point it out. Perhaps they will retract the story and apologize, and someone could get in trouble. I believe these matters must be exposed.
But before that, I would ask someone you know and believe will be honest to read her version and yours and tell you how similar the two are. I once pitched a news story, and six months later saw something similar in the same publication that turned it down. My first thought was they took my story or at least my idea. But something had happened to add some timeliness to the story. I ended up selling mine to a better magazine anyway.
You can also try to contact the writer and confront her.
I am sorry this happened to you. I don't think it happens often, but it does suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.