Status
Not open for further replies.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Okay, may I do a bit of whining please? This isn't exactly a traditional rejection, but in some ways it's worse. I sold an article to a mag. that bought it as an evergreen, but the editor said it would appear at some point between May and July. Fast forward a few weeks and I get a notice that the editor is leaving! She said they were still going to use it, but I haven't heard a word and have seen the "Coming up next issue" for July already, and my piece is not there. Granted, in the worst case I'll still get a kill fee but for some reason it's really bugging me. I had hoped to turn this into a regular market, and my style really clicked with the former editor, but apparently not with the new one.

I know writing's all a matter of yin and yang. Ironically, one of their sister publications called me because they'd had an article fall through; they liked a query they had on file from me and bought the piece to fill the gap, so it will be in their July issue. Prospects look good for future sales too, as they've already asked to see another article. I know I should focus on the good stuff like that, but dang! I just hate it when you're so close and then the floor drops out. This business is like balancing on quicksand sometimes.

soleary

Registered
Reaction score
Unless I have it wrong, you don't know for sure yet what they are going to do with your piece. If that's right, I would suggest you keep the faith, and wash it down with a pint of Ben and Jerry's cookie dough for good measure.
Good luck!
soleary

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I've had that happen to me with short stories. I think something is sold and then something happens. It is so deflating.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
DId you happen to find out where said editor went?
Remember the writer's mantra, "The glass is half empty...the glass is half empty...the glass is..."
Hmmmm, interesting question! She didn't say where in her email, but I'll have to do a little googling. Another market perhaps...that would be cool...

Status
Not open for further replies.