I have an agent! And a question about cover letters to magazines.

A. J. Luxton

Wibbly-Wobbly. Timey-Wimey.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ajluxton.com
So I now have an agent for my completed novel! She's nifty, a good communicator; been on the scene for a relatively short time, has sold books to the big guys, is part of an established agency with a good record. She wasn't sure on the first read; I offered a revision (there were some weaknesses in the plot when I first sent it, but by the time I heard back from her I'd come somewhat further as a writer and realized where the problems lay) and she said yes, by email, on the day before my birthday. That was one of the best moments of my life. :)

My question: submission etiquette. I don't have any fiction sales. I have a couple of poetry sales, but I went through a period of depression in which I wasn't sending things out, so the most recent is about a year old.
I'm inclined to send out a blitz of fiction and poetry and try to get it sold now that I'm feeling validated (and my neurochemistry is back in whack) but I have no idea what to do with the "I have an agent, but we just signed a week ago so she hasn't sold my book yet" bit.

How do I say it? ("My novel XXXX is being represented by So-And-So of the Such-And-Such agency as of (date)"?)

DO I say it or just shut up and stick to "i made a shtory. you can haz."?

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
"i made a shtory. you can haz."?

I love that. I wish I had the nerve to use it some time.

Why not ask her? Your agent, I mean. See what she thinks. I probably wouldn't say anything about having an agent until you have the book sold, but that's just me.

But, what I really want to say is congrats on landing an agent. :D

A. J. Luxton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ajluxton.com
"i made a shtory. you can haz."?

I love that. I wish I had the nerve to use it some time.

Why not ask her? Your agent, I mean. See what she thinks. I probably wouldn't say anything about having an agent until you have the book sold, but that's just me.

But, what I really want to say is congrats on landing an agent. :D

Thanks you and ACEnders for the congratulations.

I would really use the line -- IF I knew the editor had a penchant for lolcats.

Yeah, I probably will ask her next time she contacts me; but since this is magazine cover letter etiquette, on things too small for her to be representing them, I'm not sure it's worth bothering her about. Our contract *does* provide an option for her to represent my short fiction to larger venues. Some of it is good enough (and I'll be consulting her about that later), but some of it isn't -- stuff I think is still publishable, just not top-of-the-line -- and I still want to toss it out there *somewhere*...

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats & way2go. That's super, A.J. I would just say positive things about publishing credits. Mention your poetry credits, but don't menton you don't have any fiction credits. You can mention you have an agent, but you don't have to mention how long you have had one. Hope that helps.

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
DO I say it or just shut up and stick to "i made a shtory. you can haz."?

Congrats for the agent.

What does ..."you can haz." mean. That will drive me crazy all day.

thanks

Mel...

Karen Duvall

Chalice the Hatchet Knight
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.karenduvall.blogspot.com
Fabulous news! Congratulations!

On the magazine front, I'm not positive, but I've been told that magazines buy stories based on the quality of the work and not on whether or not a writer is agented.

Good luck selling your stories!

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
congrats on the agent!!!!!!

wish i could help with the short story
question. hope you figure out the best way
to handle it!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations. I hope your agent can sell your book.

My agent does not handle my short fiction submissions, I don't mention the fact that I am agented for a novel in my short fiction subs. I would hope that the quality of my writing speaks for itself......but the rejections still come.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I'd ask this question in the "Short Fiction" studio, because I know there are a couple of editors there.

However, if you want to send anything to The New Yorker, definitely have your agent do that.

A. J. Luxton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ajluxton.com
Oh, certainly if I have something that I think would be appropriate for the New Yorker or even smaller "big guys" that's the agent's business.

waylander, your response pretty much tells me what I need to know. Thanks!

dgiharris, the Wikipedia entry on lolcats pretty much says it all:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lolcats

A. J. Luxton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ajluxton.com
Congratz! Now comes the hard part! (just kidding!)
:hooray:

Naw, not so kidding. I'm well aware that getting the book actually published, and having some others out to join it, will not be a walk in the park.

But I did have this great "first day of the rest of my life" feeling when the news hit. :)

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on getting an agent! You can haz pardee now!

It can take a while to find the right publisher for your book even when you have a good agent. I'd recommend submitting your work in the usual way until your book has found a home.

Now go haz pardee!