Age Ranges - Advice Needed

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkinganimaladdicts.com
This is something I'm never really sure of. I've read many books and articles on what determines your story's potential audience, and still I'm uncertain in which age category some of my projects fall.

For example, in the MG novel I'm working on, I believe it's for ages 8-12 for the way I've written it, and how complex the writing is. But I've heard everything from it working for ages 7-10, to some who think it could make a nice picture book (If I cut it to ribbons, which I don't want to do).

Of course, I've read many books in the age group I'm writing for (8-12), and I'm finding the prose in some books are fairly simple, but powerful nonetheless.

But others are reasonably complex, and have an old-fashioned yet contemporary feel, which I'm finding is my style.

But this seems to have its problems because I end up wondering if I'm writing too far above my potential reader's comprehension.

On the one hand, I refuse to talk down to my readers, that'll naturally spell disaster. But I also don’t want my potential readers to throw my book at the wall because they don't understand what I wrote.

I'm concerned that if I make the story a chapter book, I'll have to sacrifice parts of the story, thus losing the richness and reasonable amount of complexity I want to convey.

I'm also petrified that I go for the YA set, that nagging suspension of disbelief will be too strong to overcome…

Any Ideas?

HeronW

Down Under Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Adults have books in chapters all the time. Gives a visual break, the cliff-hanger ending gets you amped for the next chapter, the opening of that keeps you reading through. In older sci-fi books: 50ies, 60ies paperbacks I've seen a small b&w drawing beginning each story.

Beta test with kids of the age you want to sell too. If a kid loves to read they'll ask what a word is if it's not explained. If they have to read something for a bookreport and they hate reading, it could be a 1st grade Dick and Jane and they'd be clueless.

ascribe

I...love...rejections
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure how making it a chapter book would make it lose richness. I'd have thought it would have the opposite effect but maybe we're thinking of different things.
The plot more than anything seems to determine the age range. I wouldn't worry too much about the difference between 8-12 or 7-10 but I think you can rule out the other two extremes.
What I wouldn't do is try to change to suit what you think is your readership. You're lucky to have found a voice - some of us are still searching. ;)

Dreamer3702

a real life cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
This is what I go by.

Don't get wrapped up in age groups. The best way to distinguish if its MG or a CB is length and complexity.

Chapter Books
45-60 manuscript pages (1" margins, double spaced, Times Roman)
3-4 chapters
paragrahs 2-4 sentances
chapters end in page turners
contains a lot of action
no sub-plots
focus on one character
EX: Ramona by Beverly Cleary
EX: Spiderwick Chronicles

MG
100-150 manu pages
secondary characters
sub-plots
story is complex
EX: Walk Two Moons by Creech
EX: A Little Princess by Burnette

Last edited:

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
My books have a pretty rich language, so much so that I often get asked by adults why I use such big words for a middle grade book. Of course it is only adults who ask me this, the kids just write and tell me they like the book. I wouldn't worry about the language, especially if you can easily compare it to some of the MG books you've been reading. What I don't quite get is why you then think it should be aged down? Just because younger kids or older kids might like a book, doesn't change the genre it is. However if you WANT to age it down, there is nothing wrong with that, nor as ascribe said, would it lose any richness in another form. Each book form has its own unique qualities.

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Don't get wrapped up in age groups. The best way to distinguish if it's MG or a CB is length and complexity.

Chapter Books
45-60 manuscript pages (1" margins, double spaced, Times Roman)
3-4 chapters
paragraphs 2-4 sentences
chapters end in page turners
contains a lot of action
no sub-plots
focus on one character
EX: Ramona by Beverly Cleary
EX: Spiderwick Chronicles

MG
100-150 manuscript pages
secondary characters
sub-plots
story is complex
EX: Walk Two Moons by Creech
EX: A Little Princess by Burnette

I agree Dreamer3702.

I guess with the varying feedback I've received, I was starting to get confused as to who my story's right for.

My books have a pretty rich language, so much so that I often get asked by adults why I use such big words for a middle grade book. Of course it is only adults who ask me this, the kids just write and tell me they like the book. I wouldn't worry about the language, especially if you can easily compare it to some of the MG books you've been reading. What I don't quite get is why you then think it should be aged down? Just because younger kids or older kids might like a book, doesn't change the genre it is. However if you WANT to age it down, there is nothing wrong with that, nor as ascribe said, would it lose any richness in another form. Each book form has its own unique qualities.

You're right Toothpaste, I guess I'm overthinking things again.:tongue

Awhile ago I'd received feedback that the story might work as a picture book, and that threw me for a loop as I'm nowhere near ready to attempt one.:roll:

I'm happy with the way I've written it, and Dreamer3702's post reminded me who my true audience is. Since my story has the following-

100-150 manuscript pages (Possibly More)
Secondary characters (Oh yes, a few)
Sub-plots (Yep)
Story is complex (You get the idea)

It's a novel all right. :Sun:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
And kids of one age will read a wide range of books. I remember in 5th grade my son read Spiderwick right after he finished Eragon. Loved them both.

I think it's best to try to write the story as well as you possibly can, and trust it will find its audience. There are two reasons to try to simplify, I think.

One is because it would make the story better. The other is because you love the younger kids best and want to write stories they can sink their (baby) teeth into.

Those are the reasons I follow. After struggling for a couple of years to try and learn how to write subplots and longer stories, I had a well, duh! moment when I realized I was trying to write for the wrong audience. For twenty years, I've taught kids 6-8 years old. I love that age and I know it well. Why would I write for older kids I don't know as well? Plus I have a short attention span and all my stories end up being under 20K words. So it's a natural fit--for me.

Kids come in all shapes and sizes. Maybe your language is too hard for some 8-year-olds. But it won't be for all of them. So don't simplify UNLESS IT WOULD MAKE YOUR STORY BETTER.

C.J. Rockwell

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think it's best to try to write the story as well as you possibly can, and trust it will find its audience.

I agree JSK. But since you do have to list a specific age range for when you start querying your project, I want to make sure that even if my future agent/editor thinks we can go older or younger, I'm not too far off the mark.

There are certainly advanced readers out there, and I'm seeing how keeping it simple makes things flow really well.

But there's a difference between simplifying and dumbing a story down, and I want to take care I'm doing the former rather than the latter. That's probably why my edits are often tediously slow.:D

I went to my local Borders awhile back and while I was shopping I observed what kids were gravitating to. Junie B. seems to be more popular than I realized, and not just with their target audience, but I saw girls definitely older than 5-7 picking it up. It was both interesting, and made me feel less awkward when I go shopping in the children's section.

I'd heard of this on another thread, but it was quite another thing to see it for myself.

I'm finding the more I observe what kids gravitate to, and what they're reading as well as reading some of it myself, the more it positively informs my writing.

Looks like I'll have to stop by the library and check out a couple Junie B. books, including the one I didn't finish the last time…

Still, I wonder how Barbra Park writes books so short and compact that you can slip them through a door, (At least the paperback editions;)).

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finding the more I observe what kids gravitate to, and what they're reading as well as reading some of it myself, the more it positively informs my writing.

Yes, yes, yes. And the more you know about the kid, the more the info helps. I have two sons, and watching their different reading personalities unfold has been so interesting! The books that please them both are the real winners.

And the most important quality that those books have in common: humor.

Sci-fi, fantasy, realistic fiction, they'll read it all. But they won't touch a serious book of any kind.

zeppelin123

Registered
Reaction score
I would put your book as one that would interest readers ages 8-10 (middle grade) from reading it. Junie B. is for a younger audience (usually read aloud) than what I would see your book being for.