Who's chicken?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to come up with new ways to prepare chicken besides the same old way.

Anybody have any good chicken recipes?

sunna

Registered
Reaction score
My husband's fav, dunno if this counts as same old or not:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, lean as you can find
2 bottles of either Guinness or a good dark lager, depending on what you prefer beer-wise
2 tsp lemon juice
4 cloves fresh garlic
2 tbsp fresh rosemary
1 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper

mix the garlic, spices and oil with 1 bottle of beer, and marinate the chicken in it for at least an hour. then cook stovetop, using the other bottle to keep the chicken moist. I usually rub a little more rosemary and salt in, and have a side of stir fried peppers and onions.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Curried chicken with rice? That's kind of different, but still very easy to make.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
This one came from a caterer in Florida who just happened to be the aunt of my best friend in high school. It's quick - you can used a good quality canned chicken if you like; it's easy; and it's SO good, people will think you're a gourmet chef when you serve it to them.

Poach 6-8 large chicken breasts (or use an equivalent of that good canned white meat chicken) (be sure to season with salt, pepper, garlic, celery, onion... you know the drill...)

While that's cooking, cook enough broccoli, spears or cut, to cover a 9"X13" baking dish, one layer deep... fresh or frozen, but fresh is best.

For the sauce, you'll need:

1 can Campbell's condensed Cream of Chicken soup
8oz Sour Cream
¾ can milk
½ stick of butter
1 small can of mushroom slices
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine sauce ingredients and heat through - do not allow to boil. Just get it good and hot.

Spray your 9"X13" baking dish with non-stick spray. Tear your chicken into pieces or cut it - whatever you like best. Put the chicken in the bottom of the pan, covering it. Next, pour the sauce over all the chicken. Next, layer the broccoli on top. Dot with more butter. Put it into a 350 degree oven and bake until hot and bubbling. This is wonderful with a salad and served over either rice or noodles.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
I like to bake a whole chicken.

Wash inside and out and dry. Gently separate the skin from the breast meat, but don't remove it. Insert in the resulting space, some fresh thyme leaves (Or sage. Rosemary works too, but don't use very much--rosemary is strong.) Put the stems from the thyme inside the body cavity. Sometimes, I put in a small onion, quartered, but you don't want to stuff the cavity full--otherwise the bird won't cook evenly.

Put an inch or so of water in the bottom of a large kettle. Place the bird on a rack so that it held above the water. Put the kettle on high heat and steam the bird for 15 to 30 minutes. The idea here is to render out most of the chicken fat. Turn the oven to 350° F.

Remove the bird from the kettle (gently--it may be quite fragile after being steamed) and put on a rack in a baking pan.

Bake for 45-50 minutes (or until the internal temperature of the thigh meat is 150°F). Remove the chicken to a platter and let rest.

Put the baking pan on the stove top over medium-high heat. Deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup dry white wine and 1 cup water. Stirr constantly until the liquid has reduced to half.

Slice the chicken (if you can--mine usually just falls apart) and serve with a spoonful of the sauce.

To accompany the chicken, I like a steamed green vegetable (brocolli or asparagus) and either boiled red potatoes or roasted yellow ones.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I just cover the bird (local Safeway garlic chicken, usually, pre-prepared, shameful I know) with foil and throw it into a hot (190°C/374°F) oven for 3 hours. Comes out succulently perfect every time. There must be cleverer and more inventive ways to cook the darn thing but I just can't figure what. (Uh... until now... just reading the recipes in this thread...)

On Saturday nights we throw together a basic stir-fry for 2 hungry pigs: 1. cook a cup of long-grain rice. 2. dice 4 chicken breasts. 3. chop 1 red & 1 yellow peppers plus a half-dozen mushrooms. 4. drain can of processed peas. 5. break up a packet of noodles. 6. heat oil in frying pan and wok to smoking temp (we use sunflower oil, olive oil is just too darn pricey here). [From here on, stir-fry contents of frying pan and wok non-stop.] 7. chuck chicken cubes into frying pan; chuck chopped peppers and mushrooms into wok and salt 'em to bring water out. 8. after 1 minute, chuck reduced peppers and mushrooms into colander (in sink) to drain water, quickly wipe wok clean. 9. transfer chicken into wok together with oil/juice leaving some oil/juice in frying pan. 10. add cooked rice to wok and stir into chicken so rice takes flavor; throw noodles into frying pan and reduce frying pan heat. 11. return peppers and mushrooms to wok and chuck the peas in too. [Everything except noodles is in the wok, noodles are in frying pan.] 12. ignore the smoke alarm, can't stop now, keep stirring! 13. after 2 minutes, spoon piping hot food onto 2 plates, and consume with gusto while watching some crap Saturday night TV movie.

-Derek

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yummy ideas. I will have to try one of these.

Thanks!

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I do chicken cubed with a bunch of mushrooms and some very small diced onions - after browned, together with a bit of butter, I pour in chicken broth and simmer, make homemade egg noodles and drop them in. If you add a bit of sour cream of when you thicken it, it's a chicken stroganoff.

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
My mom used to make it, and my family loves it now. FWIW, I don't measure anything when I cook, so all measurements are approximations.
Lemon-Dill Chicken:
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (I also use the little strips)
1/2 stick of butter
1/4 cup of lemon juice. If I have fresh on hand I just do the juice on one whole lemon, and then thinly slice and layer it on top of chicken.
garlic (powder or fresh)
salt
pepper
LOTS of dill. lol. I prefer dried for this. Probably a teaspoon or so.
Saute/simmer in lemony butter over med-low heat for about 30-40 minutes. Longer for whole breasts, less for tenders or pre cut up.
Serve over white rice with a couple spoonfuls of sauce. MMMmmmm....guess I know what is for dinner.

L M Ashton

crazy spec fic writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lmashton.com
Sri Lankan Curried Chicken - the way my mother-in-law makes it

Put into a pot over med-high heat and fry for a minute:

2 T oil (we use virgin coconut oil, which gives Sri Lankan curries its distinctive flavour)
4-5 curry leaves (get at an Asian shop, but if you can't get 'em, omit)
1/4 cup onions, chopped

Then add and fry for another couple or three minutes:

3-4 cloves garlic, minced
2 green chillies (Thai chillies are close enough, possibly the same - don't know actual species :D) - you can split it lengthwise and chop in half or mince - either works fine

Then add and mix thoroughly:
2 T red chilli powder (I don't know if the stuff is sold in the US and Canada is called that or something else - it's basically like the red chilli pepper flakes but ground fine and no seeds - you can substitute cayenne)
1/4 t turmeric
1 1/2 t salt (or to taste)
1/2 roma tomato, chopped somewhat fine
1/4 c water
1 chicken, cut into small pieces. So, about 1kg, give or take.

Cook until a thick gravy remains, about 30 minutes. ish.

All amounts are approximate and subject to change based on personal taste buds (and besides, I don't measure anything - it's all eyeballed). If you can't handle spicy food, you'd likely want to omit or cut down on the green chillies and cut down on the red chilli powder. You can also serve this with a yoghurt- or curd-based sambol to help cut down the heat. I'll give you one example:

Curd Sambol

1/3 c curd (water buffalo curd that's similar to yoghurt - substitute yoghurt, plain unsweetened, since it's unlikely you can get water buffalo curd wherever you are :D)
1 c onions, sliced fine
1 green chilli (Thai green chilli will do, or something similar), chopped fine
salt to taste
pepper to taste (optional)

Mix. The end result is that the onion is coated by the curd.

I frequently add chopped tomatoes to it when my mother in law isn't around. :D I love it that way. You could also add chopped cucumber, green or red peppers, or other vegetables of choice.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I think this might count as the 'same old way', but it's delicious and simple and it's always been a hit when we've had friends round, so here goes:

Roast chicken:

Clean and dry a whole chicken. Rub a little salt into the cavity.

Very gently, pull up the skin at the top of the chicken breasts. Use your other hand to very gently separate the skin from the breast.

Sprinkle in some salt, then push in under the skin three finely chopped handfuls of fresh basil, parsley and marjoram. Drizzle in a little olive oil. You can also mix the herbs with 25g of butter first if you fancy it.

Stuff the chicken with two lemon halves, four torn bay leaves and two sprigs of fresh rosemary.

Pull the skin on the chicken breast forward so that the flesh is covered, tuck in the winglets and tie it up firmly.

Slash across each thigh three or four times and rub in some leftover herbs. Rub olive oil onto the skin of the chicken and season generously with salt and pepper.

Put a little oil in your baking tray and lay the chicken on one breast; cook for 5 minutes. Repeat for the other breast. Then place the chicken on its bottom and cook for 1 hour (225 degrees C).

The herbs really flavour the meat and the overall result is a moist, delicious roast with crispy skin. We're fortunate in that we planted a small herb garden so it's easy to grab a fresh handful whenever we need it, but if that's not practical then dried ones may work just as well.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
How about some fried chicken ala fish-boy? The way I make it, it's fairly easy and tastes darn good.

Put some flour in two separate bowls and add black pepper and a couple of pinches of white pepper for flavor. You could also throw in some onion and garlic powder and stir the contents with a fork. In a third bowl, add three or four eggs and a touch of half-and-half, then beat the mixture with a whisk.

Heat about a half-inch of cooking oil on medium in a deep sauce pan. Roll the chicken parts (I use legs and wings) in the first bowl of flour mixture, coat well in egg-wash mixture, then roll the parts in the second bowl of flour. Add the chicken to the pan. (Make sure the oil is well heated; you can check first by wetting your index finger slightly under the tap and flicking a few tiny drops of water into the pan to see if the oil responds.)

When the chicken is cooked, dab the excess oil away with paper towels, and you'll have crisp, tasty fried chicken.

Pretty simple, eh? :)

Lyra Jean

Two years old now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beyondtourism.wordpress.com
Ingredients:

1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast; cubed
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup chicken broth
1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
1 can (19 ounces) cannelli beans; undrained
Green onions (optional)
Monterrey Jack cheese (optional)

Southwest Spice Blend:
Ingredients:

1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1 teaspoon Ground Cumin
1/2 teaspoon Oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon Cilantro leaves
1/8 teaspoon Ground Red Pepper

Directions:
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium high heat. Add chicken and onions; cook 4-5 minutes. Stir in broth, green chilies and Spice Blend; simmer 15 minutes. Stir in beans. Simmer 5 minutes. Top with green onions. Garnish with Monterrey Jack cheese.

There are a couple of more chicken recipes on my blog. Just click on the word chicken in the ingredient list. *wink* *wink*

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about some fried chicken ala fish-boy? The way I make it, it's fairly easy and tastes darn good.

Pretty simple, eh? :)

Yup. Will you make it for me?

My husband likes the above recipe that's made with beer. I don't like beer though, so I guess we'll have to compromise.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely want a recipe that's EASY, since I really don't like to spend too much time in the kitchen.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Okay - here's one my mom borrowed (okay, stole) from Williams-Sonoma - it's easy with a capital E:

Apricot Chicken

Dipping sauce -
3/4 cup - apricot (or peach) preserves
3 tbs - soy sauce
3 tbs ketchup
1 1/2 tsp - worchestershire sauce

Combine in a small bowl and blend - set aside

Chicken (amounts vary depending on how much chicken you're cooking)
1 egg
milk
breadcrumbs
5-6 thin-sliced chicken breasts
olive oil

Preheat electric frying pan to about 325 degrees (can also use a skillet if you're making a smaller amount) - add enough olive oil to brown the chicken.

Beat egg and milk in one bowl
Breadcrumbs in another bowl

Dip chicken into egg and milk mixture, and then bread it. When the oil is hot, cook until chicken is no longer pink, turning once - about 4-5 min. per side.

Serve chicken with dipping sauce and enjoy!

My kids love it. My husband loves it. And it literally takes about 15 minutes to prepare and cook.

Just a note - don't use sugar-free preserves if you can avoid it. Gives the sauce a funky taste. :D

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Fast Patak's Chicken Vindaloo...

We do make Indian food from scratch too... but this vindaloo is absolutely fantastic and it takes about an hour. (half of this time just simmering.)

Ingredients

4 to 5 tablespoons Patak's Vindaloo Paste (Available in any grocery store-at least in Canada)
1 28oz can diced tomatoes (But only use just over half the can!)
4 medium potatoes
1 medium onion
4 chicken breasts
2 tblspns vegetable oil

Basmati Rice

Preparation:
dice chicken into cubes
dice potatoes into cubes and parboil
chop onion finely

Heat vegetable oil in large frying pan (Very large!). Add onions and brown for about 2 minutes. Add chicken cubes and brown on all sides (Approx. 3-4 minutes). Add Vindaloo Paste and cook for 4 minutes, stirring well. Add parboiled potatoes and the half can of tomatoes at the same time. Reduce heat and simmer for about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Prepare basmati rice according to directions, while waiting for the chicken vindaloo to be ready.

Serve the vindaloo on a bed of rice. Flatbread to help you from burning your face off. This is a hot dish!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I definitely want a recipe that's EASY, since I really don't like to spend too much time in the kitchen.
Please refer to post #12 in this thread. All you need is flour and eggs and chicken and a couple of spices. Unless I come over there and make it for you, it doesn't get any easier than that. And if I do, please remember I don't do dishes. Ever. That job is reserved for diners who love to eat but never cook. :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com

We make one that is extremely easy and extremely tasty.

-Brown chicken
-Put in a pan and cover with a bottle of salsa and put in the oven for 35 minutes.
-Make rice while chicken is baking.
-Serve the chicken on a bed of basmati and spoon salsa over both.

Salsa is a lovely topping for rice. Tastes amazing.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Please refer to post #12 in this thread. All you need is flour and eggs and chicken and a couple of spices. Unless I come over there and make it for you, it doesn't get any easier than that. And if I do, please remember I don't do dishes. Ever. That job is reserved for diners who love to eat but never cook. :)

You can cook it on my outside grill and I'll buy paper plates.

Now THAT would be even easier for me!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We make one that is extremely easy and extremely tasty.

-Brown chicken
-Put in a pan and cover with a bottle of salsa and put in the oven for 35 minutes.
-Make rice while chicken is baking.
-Serve the chicken on a bed of basmati and spoon salsa over both.

Salsa is a lovely topping for rice. Tastes amazing.

Sounds good. You can make this dish for me.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Sounds good. You can make this dish for me.

Pffft. Yep. Right on it. It's the dish we make when we want a meal... but quickly. Almost nothing to it. It's amazing how tasty salsa makes things. The nice thing is you can use inferno salsa or mild.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Chicken pesto roll-ups

This one's super easy:

-Pound 4 chicken breasts until flat
-On one side, spread with pesto (store bought or homemade) and layer mozarella cheese
-Roll up chicken breasts and secure them with toothpicks
-Brush the outside with olive oil (or eggs or milk or Dijon mustard) and sprinkle with bread crumbs
-Bake about 20-25 mins at 375 degrees, or until the chicken is cooked through

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
This one's super easy:

-Pound 4 chicken breasts until flat
-On one side, spread with pesto (store bought or homemade) and layer mozarella cheese
-Roll up chicken breasts and secure them with toothpicks
-Brush the outside with olive oil (or eggs or milk or Dijon mustard) and sprinkle with bread crumbs
-Bake about 20-25 mins at 375 degrees, or until the chicken is cooked through
That sounds like a great recipe! I'm going to try it later this week. :)

(Heck, even Kathy could handle this one...) :D