Oklahoma City - tornado on the ground - jeebus.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Holy cats! What is up with the weather? (A: Global warming. Put more energy in a system, it gets more chaotic.)
It's called Climate Change now, since the last decade didn't live up to the hype. You've got to keep up. :)

Summonere

Registered
Reaction score
Weather guys say that these tornado outbreaks are typical of the La Niña weather pattern. Local news is showing lots of wreckage, reporting missing people. Sounds like Piedmont, Guthrie, Goldsby were hit. All I noticed here (north of OKC) was a black sky, torrential rain, tornado sirens, and big whoosh or two of wind.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad you're OK, OFG! Stay safe, everyone. We're under a tornado watch till 10pm here, but the rotation appears to be worse past us to the east. I hope the Raleigh area fares better than earlier this spring!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
two fatalities in a family of four from st. john. they were in a van on highway 281 driving between st. john and great bend. they pulled over because of the hail and high winds. they took shelter near a shelter belt--that is a band of trees planted in several parallel rows to break the wind. there just isn't a lot of cover out here so that is what we all do. only this time the wind blew a tree into the van. the father and daughter survived. the mother and 16 year old son were killed. in a town of 1,300 people in a county with less than 5,000, this one touches everyone.

when they dismissed school because of the storm i thought about going to great bend because the basement in my sisters house is much more comfortable than my little spidery fraidy hole. my poor dog was shaking so hard that i decided not to take her out. glad i didn't go. i would have pulled into that shelter belt too--s6

Last edited:

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Prayes to OFG and anyone else in the area. I just read about a teen boy who was sucked out of family car. He's missing now.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
two fatalities in a family of four from st. john. they were in a van on highway 281 driving between st. john and great bend. they pulled over because of the hail and high winds. they took shelter near a shelter belt--that is a band of trees planted in several parallel rows to break the wind. there just isn't a lot of cover out here so that is what we all do. only this time the wind blew a tree into the van. the father and daughter survived. the mother and 16 year old son were killed. in a town of 1,300 people in a county with less than 5,000, this one touches everyone.

when they dismissed school because of the storm i thought about going to great bend because the basement in my sisters house is much more comfortable than my little spidery fraidy hole. my poor dog was shaking so hard that i decided not to take her out. glad i didn't go. i would have pulled into that shelter belt too--s6

A good friend of mine live in Great Bend, her Mom in Pawnee Rock. I hate tornado season in KS. Left her a voice mail. She just called me back. She and her family are safe, but she says she's emotionally drained from all the news.

MM

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
We've lost 9 so far... one little three year old boy is still missing. His house took a direct hit out in Piedmont. One of his brothers is dead and his pregnant mother is in the hospital in critical condition. We certainly didn't get it as badly as Joplin did, for which we're supremely grateful, but this just breaks my heart... I hope they find him soon.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
no, nothing as bad as joplin. not in kansas, thank god. they were saying on the news that wichita hospitals have a couple of victim's from joplin and at least one is unidentified and in a coma. they are working on finding family. hope it turns out well for the family.

we had a covered dish just now at school. people were telling stories about their close calls. one of the teacher's husband's decided his field needed work more than he needed shelter. he tried to continue on his tractor. the wind blew the windows out of the cab and then sucked him out. luckily his pant leg caught on something in the window so he didn't take flight. it did suck his cell phone out of his pocket so he had to walk, all scratched and bloody, to the nearest farm house, which was damaged, too. he called his wife and then helped with their clean up until his wife came to pick him up. his head is stapled, like frankenstein, but he's still farming--s6

Last edited: