76275,332. And what was YOUR CompuServe ID?

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I went from FidoNet to Bitnet and skipped compu$erver / aol completely.

-cb

ETA: That's not true. We had a compu$erver account at work for Win2.x SDK / DDK support. Our Microsoft customer number was 000000017. That was when M$oft cared about its developers.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Don't remember my compuserve number, but I remember the old monitored AOL writing groups. What a diaster...

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tried to get out of a Compuserve session by simply clicking the X in the upper-right corner. Compuserve then came after me for not correctly signing out (some process I've forgotten now), claiming that I owed them a gazillion dollars for staying on Compuserve for several days. They threatened to send a collection agency after me.

I laughed :roll:, and never had anything else to do with them. :D

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
Mine was 73312, something....

I remember when CS went flat-rate, and the invasion of n00bs, teenagers, and AOLers was the cause of much grousing.

Now real old-timers will remember GEnie...

amichan

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm that age, but I was never on CompuServe. I started out on WebTV, where I learned a lot about web site design. Because we had no software, we had to learn how to make our own online word processors, using raw code. Fun times!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about Dow Jones? :)

I've been on them all at one point or another since 1977. Managed to connect a Bally Arcade running Bally Basic to Arpanet with a 110 BPS modem. Could have been a model for Wargames, except I know how to swim.

Had a cool chat with Orson Scott Card in the 1980's on CompuServe. We discussed programming the Commodore 64. Never thought to discuss writing.

Jeff

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I tried to get out of a Compuserve session by simply clicking the X in the upper-right corner. Compuserve then came after me for not correctly signing out (some process I've forgotten now), claiming that I owed them a gazillion dollars for staying on Compuserve for several days. They threatened to send a collection agency after me.

I laughed :roll:, and never had anything else to do with them. :D
That was probably not Compuserve. That was and probably is a huge dialup scam, still perpetrated by redirect scripts.

Had a Compuserve account, no clue what it is. I hope no one steals it. :ROFL:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Finally found it, I was 71477,134. I had to Google myself and eventually found a level (WAD) I posted for the original DOOM. (It's still out there)

By the way, I ran Fidonet node 1:371/26. Carried the Fidonet writing echo. :)

Before it all, I was a member of the WELL. If you remember that, which is actually still running, you're older than the internet too.

Anyone need a copy of the Wildcat BBS system?

Jeff

RickN

Registered
Reaction score
Mine was 73312, something....

I remember when CS went flat-rate, and the invasion of n00bs, teenagers, and AOLers was the cause of much grousing.

Now real old-timers will remember GEnie...

I joined Genie when I bought an Atari ST in 1986. Dialed in on my 2400/9600 baud modems and played a lot of AirWarrior and Battletech, hung out in several Roundtables.

Then I moved to Compuserve.

I feel old.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Would be nice if I could remember. Though it's my old Demon Internet address that I wish I still had.