Adam Sandler

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I liked him in 'Little Nicky' and 'The Wedding Singer' but that's about it although 'Happy Gilmore' did have its moments. He appeals to the baser instincts in us all and some people out there obviously like him. Me, not my thing.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What about him appeals even to 13-year-old fart joke addicts?

Well, I think this particular question answers itself.

As to his career, Jack and Jill was even more outlandishly awful than the usual awful Sandler fare. Some stuff of his counts as a "guilty" pleasure that doesn't even need the "guilty" qualifier. I like The Water Boy. I particularly think it's funny that they took the idea of a violent football player psyching himself up by imagining that his opponent said or did something especially offensive to him, which I was first introduced to in the dead-serious football flick The Program, and making a big joke out of it to be hilarious. Also, bone-crushing football hits as slapstick works for some folks, particularly when it's delivered pretty realistically.

Happy Gilmore, not bad either, but that's more about the guy who played Shooter, and I think there's some pretty good wit employed in some areas, such as the Subway product placement that's so blatant and ridiculous that it basically becomes deliberate self-parody.

In summary; humor is subjective, he appeals to a certain audience, Jack and Jill is indeed a travesty but what're ya gonna do, etc. etc.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How in the goram 'verse has this guy become a big movie star? He just set a razzies record:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=715166

I never thought he was funny back in his SNL days. I don't get it. What about him appeals even to 13-year-old fart joke addicts? Somebody please explain this to me before my head explodes.

caw

Can't. I've always wondered the same thing myself.

MKrys

Quietly obsessing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michelle-krys.blogspot.com
I'm so glad this thread exists. I don't get it either, and I'm not even opposed to fart jokes and slapstick comedy. I'm just opposed to bad jokes.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thought he was funny on SNL and loved him in The Water Boy and Punch Drunk Love. :D

You couldn't pay me enuf money to watch Jack and Jill.

(Oh, and I absolutely hate fart jokes) :(

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Happy Gilmore has some stupid funny stuff. On the whole, though, I think he's not a good actor, and when he tries to go for the emotional stuff, it's a big fail. As Lavern said, you couldn't pay me enough to sit through Jack and Jill. (Ugh.)

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I liked Big Daddy. I read The Wedding Singer, and I liked that. He's like Eddie Murphy. Once upon a time, they were funny. Now? Eh, no.

They need to follow Jim Carrey. Do weird movies that no one would predict you'd do, and actually try your hand at acting -- not making an ass out of yourself on screen.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After someone figures this one out, they can explain how Will Ferrell won the 2011 Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize . . .

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Can't stand Will Ferrell as an actor for the most part, but as a voice actor (Megamind) he's great.

Gilroy Cullen

Handsome servant of a redhead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
swordsvspens.blogspot.com
After someone figures this one out, they can explain how Will Ferrell won the 2011 Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize . . .

Wait. The Kennedy Center has class and style and pinache. What are they doing associating with Ferrell?

As for Sandler, the only decent thing I saw him in was Happy Gimore. The rest of his stuff was horrible. Even the SNL skits.

"The Price is Wrong, Bob." - Great line, just before Bob Barker beats the crap out of Sandler.

I've not really wanted to attempt his recent movies. (Well, correction, I considered seeing Click. I'm told to be glad I didn't.)

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
After someone figures this one out, they can explain how Will Ferrell won the 2011 Kennedy Center Mark Twain Prize [for American Humor]. . .
Through talent and sweat, establishing a body of work. The value of a given comedian or humorist's style and material is entirely subjective, of course. This particular prize (starting in 1998) has gone to a decent variety of writers and performers, and we all might argue about whether they deserved it, given the spirit of its namesake. George Carlin? Absolutely. Neil Simon? Not sure.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I liked him in The Wedding Singer, but that's it. I don't have an interest in seeing him in films as they tend to turn out awful. Plus, he seems to be a one trick pony--actually, a lot of these comedians only have one trickjoke.

1swollen1

Where I do all of my reading.
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody mentioned You Don't Mess with the Zohan (2008) and that's a good thing..............probably one of the worst movies of all time...........tried to make it through and gave up in the first 10 mins.