BEAR CAM is back!

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
This makes for such a pleasant background feed on the TV while writing. Highly therapeutic.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
That's a pretty cool link, actually. I enjoyed watching the bear who was fishing during my visit. He didn't go away hungry - and the sound of the rushing river and waterfall was pretty neat, too.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I did look at it and watched the bear catching some fish.

It was actually better than it sounds! :D

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's fantastic. Grazer's three cubs are grown and evicted but there's a new mom, (403 I think, she needs a name), with the cutest 3 blonde cubs.

I'll dig the video up but a while back Grazer's cubs went over the falls one at a time. It sounds bad but it was really cute. She sees one and knows the other two are still at the top of the falls, then the second one goes over and she takes off after them. Then the third is over the falls to join them. :roll:

Cosmering

Registered
Reaction score
I love this, and will waste hours on it.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Grazer's cubs go over the falls, the full version.

Mama bear comes out nervously to fish the lip of the falls. She keeps looking back because she left her cubs on the edge of the river. After a couple minutes one of the cubs can be seen trying to swim against the current. Grazer keeps looking back and forth. Baby bear loses the battle and goes over the falls. The second baby is fighting the current. All three of them tried to reach their mother. Grazer is torn between going to the one struggling or to the one that went over. Problem solved, the second one goes over the falls. Mom takes off after them. Eventually Peanut, the smallest cub comes over the falls. Grazer gathers the three of them safely on the little island.

beautiful_land

Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to having this on in the background while I write.

Thank you.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, every single time I've looked in and it's daylight, I have seen at least one bear, often two.

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
FWIW, every single time I've looked in and it's daylight, I have seen at least one bear, often two.

Right? I did a double take once when I pulled up the stream late at night and the bears were still fishing in broad daylight. Had to remind myself “Oooooh, right, Alaska. It does that there.”

Last edited:

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I love this - thanks for sharing @Pharm

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Bears are still there. Same spots.

And a seagull.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The bears will be there for another month. I think some of them go off eating berries for a while. In Aug there will be lots of bears back.

There's been a ton of action at the puffin cam, if you don't mind the tough realities of life on the puffin boulder berm. Baby Puffin, Bucky is doing fine as is Baby Guillemot, Friday. And at the Snowy Owl nest the five little owlets are growing fast.

I miss the Great Grays though. That was my favorite nest ever but after four owlets fledged last year, they haven't been back to the dead tree nest since. Apparently that might be normal behavior.