FBI Procedural Question

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is a procedural question about the FBI. A woman from a wealthy and politically connected family goes missing, and due to the circumstances, the FBI opens an investigation.

Who is the family's main contact at the FBI? Would it be the Special Agent in charge of the local FBI office, and would he take their calls personally? After the FBI decides that the woman left on her own, and that there is no missing person, but the family still wants answers, what then? Who ends up becoming their contact person at the FBI, the one who has to take their phone calls?

Thanks in advance.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
This is a procedural question about the FBI. A woman from a wealthy and politically connected family goes missing, and due to the circumstances, the FBI opens an investigation.

Who is the family's main contact at the FBI? Would it be the Special Agent in charge of the local FBI office, and would he take their calls personally? After the FBI decides that the woman left on her own, and that there is no missing person, but the family still wants answers, what then? Who ends up becoming their contact person at the FBI, the one who has to take their phone calls?

Thanks in advance.
When I had cause to have a contact with the local FBI offices; a Special Agent was sent to my home and assigned to my case. He gave me his card and he answered my calls directly. It wasn't a missing persons case but I can't see why it would be any different.

I hope that helps.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

Primary contact would be a Special Agent from the local office. SAC wouldn't take the calls personally...... at least not in my experience BUT this is fiction after all so you have some leeway. :) Of course if it's not a missing persons case (she left on her own), FBI isn't likely to remain involved.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
Even after the FBI has determined that no crime has taken place and administratively closed the case, they cannot prevent the family from continuing to call them (short of pressing charges for harassment). A rich, influential family would always need to be handled with kid gloves. The FBI is no different than any other government bureaucracy, they must answer to the citizens, no matter how big a PITA they are.

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for all of your helpful answers!