Supreme court may decide with Trump on DACA

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
With all the focus on impeachment hearings, much else is flying under our collective radar.

The U.S. Supreme Court's conservative majority signaled Tuesday that it may let the Trump administration shut down the Obama-era program that granted temporary protection from deportation to roughly 700,000 young people, commonly known as DREAMers.

It will be a sad day if this happens. These are young people who grew up here and have no place to go in their parent's home country. They are going to school, working, and starting families. Some of them are undoubtedly in the classes I teach at our local community college. If the government is allowed to pull the plug on this program, it will be devastating.

https://www.npr.org/2019/11/13/778545559/supreme-court-may-side-with-trump-on-dreamers

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I wish I could say I had hope on this one, but as far as I can see it's probably a done deal save the official verdict. And it's absolutely nauseating...

All those people smiling and saying,"well, we can just undo whatever this administration does" are ignoring the real and lasting damage rulings like this will do.

And the stacking of the courts.

And the erosion of checks and balances and general social norms that would even begin to undo the damage...

Last edited:

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
If all of those DACA children have to go back, what is the appropriate response for those of us who disagree with that decision? The US is richer for having them here.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Even if Trump isn't re-elected, a great deal of damage will be done to people who lose the opportunity to go to school and hold down good jobs until a new, better law can be enacted. Assuming it can be. And some likely will be arrested and/or deported to countries they don't even know.