Did you read any positive news lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I prefer reading uplifting stuff, but it doesn't seem to happen much anymore. As we all know, the world is do[SUP]o[/SUP]o[SUP]o[/SUP]o[SUP]o[/SUP]o[SUP]o[/SUP]o[SUP]o[/SUP]o[SUP]o[/SUP]med.

So, what good stuff happened lately? Did a big wig personally donate a bunch of money to save a poor person's home? Did a forest ranger rescue a goat who wandered up to the top of a tree and got stuck? Did a dog row across a river to save a drowning pig, the same pig who later ended up running into a prospective home invader's ass, scaring him off and saving a family's life?

What happened? Tell me!

Last edited:

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
hahahaha, quiet around here. I was going to mention Mark Zuckerberg, but did some digging around and it seems that many are skeptical.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Carrie Fisher's interview on Good Morning America was hilarious and gave me good feelings. Her dog is adorable too.

Gregg

Life is good
Registered
Reaction score
"The highlight of these brothers’ hunting trip was the animal they rescued. They even got a selfie with the bald eagle before setting it free.

Neil and Michael Fletcher were hiking through the woods outside Sudbury, Ontario when they spotted the giant bird of prey caught in a trap.............."

the rest of the story, and much more good news here:

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Finland plans to give every citizen a national basic income of 800 Euros a month.

It may sound counterintuitive, but the proposal is meant to tackleunemployment. Finland’s unemployment rate is at a 15-year high, at 9.53% and a basic income would allow people to take on low-paying jobs without personal cost. At the moment, a temporary job results in lower welfare benefits, which can lead to an overall drop in income.

Will it work? I'm not an economist, so "dunno". But it is positive news because they are trying.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on what you mean by positive. Some of these horrible news stories are really positive because the perpetrators have been caught. If they weren't caught, it wouldn't be news. I think the story I posted about Stoya and James Deen is positive, because it's a serious issue that people are finally talking about.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's very small (local paper) news, but the family I volunteer with who have had a very tough few years have just had one child made Primary School Captain - and three of their others have brought home academic medals.

This is a huge, huge achievement, and I couldn't be happier for them. And they certainly couldn't be :)

Those parents! Some people have so much quiet strength and love and courage.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We hear a lot about all the fighting and contention around the Temple Mount in Jerusalem, a site revered by the three Abrahamic religions and held sacred by each in different ways.

But here is a site where tolerance and working harmoniously together is a focus. The site, near the Sea of Galilee in northern Israel, was going to be the location of a resort and center for Christian pilgrims. But it turned out, upon investigation by archeologists, to be the presumed hometown of Mary Magdalen.

Further, in 2009, a carved stone block was discovered there, known as the Magdala Stone, which depicts Judaic symbology in ways surprising to Jewish scholars as some of the symbols' meaning has been believed to do with events that the stone pre-dates significantly. Which is fascinating if you're into that sort of thing, but the reason I post about it here is this:

In contrast to the current tensions over the contested site in Jerusalem that is revered by Jews as the Temple Mount, where the ancient temples once stood, and by Muslims as the Noble Sanctuary, the Magdala project has emphasized religious harmony. The land belongs to a Roman Catholic religious order, the Legionaries of Christ, and the archaeologists who are managing the dig and who found the stone are Dina Avshalom-Gorni, an Israeli Jew, and Arfan Najar, a Muslim.
I suspect that kind of unremarkable working-together is far more common and ordinary than news reports would seem to imply, since good relations and getting along don't really make for exciting stories. But I like to point these things out when I can, when I find them.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/09/world/middleeast/magdala-stone-israel-judaism.html?_r=0

Last edited:

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Spread A Little Holiday Joy for A Child

Safyre Terry, is an 8-year-old girl who lost her family in a fire caused by arson and was severely burned over 75% of her body losing her right hand and left foot. Safyre has a Christmas wish anyone can help come true for a very small price.

She wants you to send her a Christmas Card.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoren...burns-is-asking-for-christmas-card#.lxGbx2A4d

I confess I couldn't get through the article without tearing up. Now I have to go buy and send a Christmas card to a little girl.

BoF

Cautious Daredevil
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to make your own good news.

I'll start with the bad. Over Thanksgiving my 13-year-old Siamese mix named Giga-bite had to be put to sleep.

The good news is I adopted two adult cats from a rescue facility. One is a 2 to 3 year old male gray Tabby. I named him Hunkpapa after Sitting Bull's Sioux tribe. He spent about an hour grooming himself in my lap this morning.

The other cat is a female Siamese mix, who is about 5 to 6 years old. I named her Alleybaba. Alley spent several hours getting acquainted yesterday. Today she's keeping to herself.

The need for animal rescue is great. The city euthanizes animals if they are not adopted in 72 hours. Purrs and Piddy Paws, where i got the two, takes animals who are about to euthanize and keeps them indefiniitely. The adoption fee for the two was advertised at $175, but Corey, who founded the orgsnization, cut the fee to $100 because I was adopting two.

Here's some more good news that will never be published. Corey said my adoptions gave her room to take in two more cats.

Last edited:

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Safyre Terry, is an 8-year-old girl who lost her family in a fire caused by arson and was severely burned over 75% of her body losing her right hand and left foot. Safyre has a Christmas wish anyone can help come true for a very small price.

She wants you to send her a Christmas Card.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/javiermoren...burns-is-asking-for-christmas-card#.lxGbx2A4d

I confess I couldn't get through the article without tearing up. Now I have to go buy and send a Christmas card to a little girl.

If you want to go even further than that, reddit got a hold of the story yesterday. It was discovered they also have a donation fund toward ongoing medical expenses and in just 24 hours, it went from $10k ($5k under their goal) to almost $120k and still going.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to go even further than that, reddit got a hold of the story yesterday. It was discovered they also have a donation fund toward ongoing medical expenses and in just 24 hours, it went from $10k ($5k under their goal) to almost $120k and still going.

...Tis the season. Usually to be greedy and buy a lot of crap you can't afford for people you don't really like, but dammit if this doesn't hit me in middle of my tiny Grinch-sized heart and make it grow, then declare me clinically dead because there's no hope for me.

If in this world of savagery, sin and sorrow, a little girl can tough it through all the pain and loss she's suffered and still find a reason to the season, I can too, dammit.

There are thousands upon thousands of stories just like Safyre's in my community and yours. This Christmas I'm going to look outward to helping others however I can instead inward and only helping myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.