A unique, endearing thread title that somehow grabs your attention without irritating you

LucasHuntington

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My (forum) name is Lucas, and I'm a 24-year-old PhD student in literature who, lately, is questioning more and more his desire to finish a PhD program. I'll be entering year 3 of my program in the fall (out of 5 or 6, depending on how fast I finish), and the gulf between creative writing and academic literary "criticism" is proving to be wider than I hoped it to be.

I've been writing stories ever since I could write, although I guess I only knew for sure I wanted to be "a writer" in 9th or 10th grade. My goal is to write novels, although I've started a few--some realistic fiction, some more speculative/sci-fi--only to lose enthusiasm at the 30 or 40 page mark. My most recent novel attempt, a speculative fiction romance started at the beginning of this year, is my most promising one yet, I think, but I am putting the 40-45 pages I have away for a while to focus on writing a few short stories. I shared what I had in a graduate fiction writing workshop this spring, and feedback was mostly positive, but there were some consistent concerns about the narrator's voice that led me to think I should just rewrite everything at some point in the (hopefully near) future. A lot of my work, including the novel-in-interrupted-progress, focuses on animals and their potential to communicate their stories to us. I haven't published any of my short stories yet, mostly because I've found the rewriting process to be really daunting and exhausting. I'm definitely getting better at it, though, and I think joining a group like this forum will encourage me to have more discipline.

My reading tastes are very, very broad--too broad for me to enjoy writing a focused dissertation, I'm coming to suspect. I'm studying to take oral exams this fall, so I've been reading a lot of classics that I never got around to in high school or undergrad: for example, I just read Willa Cather's My Antonia and loved it. Older favorites of mine include modernists like Joyce, Woolf, Faulkner, Proust; Victorians like Hardy and the Brontes; and post-WWII/contemporary authors ranging from Salinger to McCarthy to Garcia-Marquez to Murakami to Foster Wallace to...I should probably wrap this up, I guess. Speculative fiction writers I enjoy include Le Guin, Dick, Butler.

I'm quite terrible at finding communities/networks to collaborate with in real life, so I hope this forum can give me some perspective on how my writing might fit into the massive and scary literary world...or something. Anyway, looking forward to meeting some cool and inspiring people.

Lucas

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Lucas. :welcome:

You seem like you read voraciously and possess wide areas of interest in terms of content. That is appluadable. I like many of the authors, or have branched out, with most of them. There's a lot out there, as I'm sure you are aware of, and it's great to explore, isn't it?

Anyway, welcome! Hope you settle in nicely. :)

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
My tough love response:

Finish it.

The third year is the hardest but the doors that open with a PhD are too valuable.

Stick it out. Commit to six more months. Then six months after that.

Finish it.

Sincerely, your future self (not really, but very glad I finished my program.)

Last edited:

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
And here is my friendlier answer.

:)

This is a great community, and you will definitely find your path in life whichever path you choose.

The authors you listed - I would love to read several of those (haven't as yet), and the ones I have read (Salinger, Le Guin, one or two others) are so, so very good. You have great taste!

It's super neat that you have a creative streak, and that it feeds your soul. It's one of the absolute best things about this crazy thing we call life. And, I love the idea that animals understand us, maybe havee cognition beyond what we think. Cool WIIP.

Welcome! Pull up a chair.

Last edited:

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don’t know you, Lucas, but I agree with Patty. Finish the program. Being older doesn’t always make you wiser, but after 4 decades and seeing people regret so many things, I gotta say you’ll probably be happy just finishing the PhD, which is *going* to be useful to you one day.

Also, welcome to AW!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

LucasHuntington

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Patty - I am thinking you’re right. My doubts have intensified over the last several months because of a relationship with someone who may or may not be able to continue living in the same city as me. I daydream about doing an MFA program on the other side of the country. I know that there’s probably too much to lose by leaving, though.

LucasHuntington

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome, Daniel. Yes, it’s great to explore: if only I could do it indefinitely!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Get your PhD, then specialize further at your leisure.

:welcome: and good luck. :greenie

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My (forum) name is Lucas, and I'm a 24-year-old PhD student in literature who, lately, is questioning more and more his desire to finish a PhD program. I'll be entering year 3 of my program in the fall (out of 5 or 6, depending on how fast I finish), and the gulf between creative writing and academic literary "criticism" is proving to be wider than I hoped it to be.

Finish. You might find it helpful to workshop seminar papers or dissertation drafts; critical theory and literary criticism are not the same as critting.

You can still benefit from and learn a lot from critting paper drafts, and you'll learn huge amounts from teaching comp and undergraduate lit classes. Honest.

The Ph.D. is half way done (are you pre- or post qualifying exams?); finish it. It makes you more employable even if you don't want to stay in academe.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Lucas,

Right now LitCrit is my bane for grad school. I find literary criticism INCREDIBLY pretentious and completely unhelpful. In fact, it's actually made reading (for school) much less enjoyable than when I just "read". But, I also admit, this is my own prejudice and others may (and do) have differing opinions.

Now, having said that, if you're pursuing a PhD, esp. with the intent to instruct, then absolutely, you're going to need to push through. However, I've come to the basic conclusion (as I stare at my thesis, which I have shelved since I have absolutely NO clue what the hell I want to write about where I wouldn't sound like a complete hypocrite for my MA in English), that while I have learned a lot from my Master's program and while it has unquestionably improved some of my writing skills and has certainly broadened my knowledge of other authors and genres, the literary criticism portion was a complete waste of my time as an author.

But, also note, I am in the minority here.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Lucas, nice to meet you. Best of luck.

LucasHuntington

Registered
Reaction score
Lucas,

Right now LitCrit is my bane for grad school. I find literary criticism INCREDIBLY pretentious and completely unhelpful. In fact, it's actually made reading (for school) much less enjoyable than when I just "read". But, I also admit, this is my own prejudice and others may (and do) have differing opinions.

Now, having said that, if you're pursuing a PhD, esp. with the intent to instruct, then absolutely, you're going to need to push through. However, I've come to the basic conclusion (as I stare at my thesis, which I have shelved since I have absolutely NO clue what the hell I want to write about where I wouldn't sound like a complete hypocrite for my MA in English), that while I have learned a lot from my Master's program and while it has unquestionably improved some of my writing skills and has certainly broadened my knowledge of other authors and genres, the literary criticism portion was a complete waste of my time as an author.

But, also note, I am in the minority here.

Thanks, Richard. I feel the same about literary criticism and its effect on my enjoyment of reading. May I ask what your plans are after the MA?