• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Trees on a spaceship

Thomas_Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
SO I was just thinking aimlessly, and an idea occured to me. Aside from the fuel, a big restriction on space exploration is the problem of running out of oxygen. Why not just put a bunch of plants on the ship/station?

Trees convert CO2 into O2, right? And we convert it back, so it'd be a never ending cycle. This sounds a bit too easy, and there's got to be a reason why we haven't done this yet. So, who wants to poke holes in my theory?

Synonym

Registered
Reaction score
It's been done out the wahzoo in SF. I assume there are limitations because of the amount of room, water, power required and that is why it isn't possible yet.

MGraybosch

Lunch Break Novelist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewgraybosch.com
Why trees? Why not other plants grown hydroponically, or even cyanobacteria and algae? Also, in Hyperion by Dan Simmons, one faction made starships out of trees.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
The tree roots kept poking holes through the spaceship's hull? You can't grow trees in deep space because the sunlight is too weak?

I luv the classic sf movie SILENT RUNNING with its huge deepspace greenhouses. I luv the movie THE FOUNTAIN with its Tree of Knowledge in space.

Whatever problem they had in the BIODOME projects a few years ago may be your issue. It was supposed to be a totally self-contained, re-cycled, perfectly self-sustaining environment ... but it broke down, I think.

I forget what went wrong. You might research that though.

I think someone passed gas and ka-boom, it was like a row of dominoes going down.

One scientist oinks from the wrong end and all the sequoia trees die in outer space!

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Trees produce marginal oxygen surpluses because they consume oxygen during the night. You want blue algae.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
SO I was just thinking aimlessly, and an idea occured to me. Aside from the fuel, a big restriction on space exploration is the problem of running out of oxygen. Why not just put a bunch of plants on the ship/station?

Trees convert CO2 into O2, right? And we convert it back, so it'd be a never ending cycle. This sounds a bit too easy, and there's got to be a reason why we haven't done this yet. So, who wants to poke holes in my theory?
It's no doubt possible (not neccesarily with trees which are probably to big to grow in any current craft in space, but with other plants), but it doesn't appear to be practical yet. Even in the International Space Station, they take up supplies every few months, either in a Space Shuttle or a Soyuz capsule. I can imagine a not-much-larger station for people in space would have enough "space" inside to grow its own plants, both for food and to create oxygen. Such a station would be much closer to self-sustaining than the current ISS. But I haven't heard of any such thing, even on the drawing board. Maybe there's something to go along with this new "Orion" thing NASA is building.
Why trees? Why not other plants grown hydroponically, ...
Ben remembers the hydroponic garden in the "Lost In Space" TV series...

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Even if they are only marginally useful, though, it wouldn't surprise me if they became popular simply because people liked them.

You can wave around scientific papers showing how pot plants in an office don't actually help the atmosphere, but people still keep them because they like the look and feel of them.

Another point - once something becomes rarer and harder to do, it also becomes more valuable. So rich companies would start growing complete trees in the public areas of their spaceships just because it is hard - it would be a luxury item - just like rich companies now have ridiculously expensive artworks and carpet in their foyers for no apparent reason.

So I think once you start having a reasonably large area, people will start growing trees - whether it makes scientific sense or not.

Mac
(PS: Remember, too, that 'space' in a space-station might be reasonably cheap. Simply inflate a plastic bubble, spray it with a shell of epoxy and you've got the basics. You would put a wall of storage compartments on the outside as a bit of a radiation barrier, but it wouldn't be that much more expensive. Remember, making an area bigger in volume is reasonably cheap. The material costs goes up by the square of the size, but the volume goes up by the cube of the size)

Last edited:

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
Did you need trees in your WIP? Because I'd take a good old CO2 Scrubber any day over that. Just make the things hyper-efficient and you don't need to worry about running out of oxygen anytime soon.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
If trees are out of the question, how about some kind of plankton in the water supply which produces oxygen, perhaps?

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
Roots can be cut and sunlight can be synthesized.

The incessant tapping of the woodpeckers would drive the astronauts mad. :)

But seriously: the BioDome 2 project was designed to be just such a closed system, so whatever failed with that might be your key issue? I think it had greenhouses but I don't know about trees.

jhmcmullen

Registered
Reaction score
There are still problems with producing a closed system like that, but the idea has been around for a while. If you look at some of the plans for space habitats from the late seventies, early eighties, oxygen was often meant to be produced by plants. (Someone had not done the calculations on this, preferring to depict habitats as being like southern California, but the idea is fairly sound.) Figuring out what plants and how many there are and how many animals will be respiring and what the light source is...well, that part is tough. Making oxygen production equal oxygen consumption in a way that leaves you with the right oxygen level in the atmosphere and everyone (and everything) alive is hard.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
his sounds a bit too easy, and there's got to be a reason why we haven't done this yet.

When I took a trip to NASA two years ago they had a mock up of the base they want to have on the moon ( in prep for the one they want to put on Mars).

Lots of plants ( not trees, sorry) grown hydroponically to help out with oxygen. So they are doing / planning on doing it. Can't remember the details I'm afraid - my son dragged my off to look at the robotic probes...

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The tree roots kept poking holes through the spaceship's hull? You can't grow trees in deep space because the sunlight is too weak?
Roots can be cut and sunlight can be synthesized.
The Sunlight in space is as strong as on Earth's surface, and a lot stronger in some areas such as UV. The windows may need filters to keep the UV out.
The incessant tapping of the woodpeckers would drive the astronauts mad. :)

But seriously: the BioDome 2 project was designed to be just such a closed system, so whatever failed with that might be your key issue? I think it had greenhouses but I don't know about trees.
It looks like you mean BioSphere 2. They lost oxygen, I read it was being absorbed by the concrete structure.
There are still problems with producing a closed system like that, but the idea has been around for a while. If you look at some of the plans for space habitats from the late seventies, early eighties, oxygen was often meant to be produced by plants. (Someone had not done the calculations on this, preferring to depict habitats as being like southern California, but the idea is fairly sound.) Figuring out what plants and how many there are and how many animals will be respiring and what the light source is...well, that part is tough. Making oxygen production equal oxygen consumption in a way that leaves you with the right oxygen level in the atmosphere and everyone (and everything) alive is hard.
O'Neil's "The High Frontier" described large colonies. I've got an earlier printing with the original cover. It's shown here, but the pic doesn't do it justice:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_High_Frontier:_Human_Colonies_in_Space
It's a cylinder (rotating to make gravity) with a small city, trees and farmland on the inner surface.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like you mean BioSphere 2. They lost oxygen, I read it was being absorbed by the concrete structure.

You're right ... I must've been thinking of
"Mad Max's Beyond THUNDER Dome!"

And that would be a bad design for a sustainable environment, since we'll recall that the law of ThunderDome is:

"Two men enter, one man leave!" :)

Good Lord: the spaceship lands, and the trees are all fine ... but the crew had to eat each other to survive!

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
The big difference between a project such as BioSphere and a spaceship is that the spaceship just needs a design that makes it self-sufficient somehow. The goal isn't to have a completely self-sustained biological microcosmos.
Point in case: recycling oxygen and water (as well as other simple chemicals) is trivially easy, and not very costly energy-wise. So, there's no problem with using solar power and a technological solution to getting oxygen, instead of creating a whole biosphere. Plants would mostly be grown for food (or decoration) not for oxygen.

Sarpedon

Banned
Reaction score
ben said:
They lost oxygen, I read it was being absorbed by the concrete structure.

Yup, concrete absorbs water and oxygen in the curing process, which continues long after its 'solid.' They didn't factor that in? Hahaha.

And wouldn't a large plant like a tree require gravity for its internal processes? Or would capillary action alone be enough for its circulation? I seem to recall that phloem tissues rely on gravity to transfer nutrients back down to the roots. Maybe I'm wrong.

And how would the tree know which way to grow? Doesn't gravity factor into that as well?

mercs

Registered
Reaction score
I'm amazed they never featured a bio-deck in star trek for example. Somewhere where this could be mentioned. It wouldn't have a widescale use as trees don't produce anywhere near enough oxygen to justify the vast space required, but could reduce marginally the overall supply...

efkelley

ow
Registered
Reaction score
I'm amazed they never featured a bio-deck in star trek for example. Somewhere where this could be mentioned. It wouldn't have a widescale use as trees don't produce anywhere near enough oxygen to justify the vast space required, but could reduce marginally the overall supply...

They make mentions of arboretums more than once, although I believe Next Generation was the only series to actually place scenes there.

In another aside, the title of this thread is the title of the next Samuel L. Jackson movie. Or rather should be. ;-)

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
You're right ... I must've been thinking of
"Mad Max's Beyond THUNDER Dome!"

And that would be a bad design for a sustainable environment, since we'll recall that the law of ThunderDome is:

"Two men enter, one man leave!" :)

Good Lord: the spaceship lands, and the trees are all fine ... but the crew had to eat each other to survive!

Several space video games use the term "biodome". It's not like you invented a new term. You probably heard it somewhere and got confused. Happens to me all the time.

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
...there's no problem with using solar power and a technological solution to getting oxygen...
Indeed. In fact, at the distance Earth is to the Sun, a space habitat will likely have more problem getting rid of excess energy than running out of it.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Indeed. In fact, at the distance Earth is to the Sun, a space habitat will likely have more problem getting rid of excess energy than running out of it.

Just think... You could play computer games all day long and not have to worry about the power cutting out. I could actually think of ways to use up that much excess energy, and I wouldn't have to worry about annoying Friends Of The Earth types bitching at me about having my Xbox360, PS3, DVD player, Freeview box, computer, laptop and radio all running pretty much constantly.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
The Sunlight in space is as strong as on Earth's surface, and a lot stronger in some areas such as UV.

Okay, I admit, I'm utterly in need of help on that one: How can there be enough sunlight farther away from the Sun to grow trees?

Do you just mean, at the same distance from the Sun, outer space and earth get as much sunlight?
(Because admittedly I was just picturing spaceships traveling out into deeper space, growing trees for breathing air ... )

I thought the main reason the outer planets are cold is because of their distance from the Sun, the energy of light falling off at ... well, I'm ignorant of that equation too without looking it up, but it falls off FAST.

Heck, my Grandma used to say if you tilt your gardens towards the Sun, the angle that sunlight hits the ground can vastly inhance the amount of growing rays available to plants; a garden tilted up a few degrees in Indiana lets as much sunlight hit them as if they were growing in Florida etc.