Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/15/paris-notre-dame-cathedral-on-fire-reuters.html

• A major fire broke out at the medieval Notre-Dame Cathedral in central Paris on Monday afternoon, leading firefighters to clear the area around one of the city’s most visited landmarks.
  • It was not immediately clear what had caused the fire. France 2 television reported that police were treating the incident as an accident.
  • Notre-Dame was in the midst of renovations, with some sections under scaffolding, while bronze statues were removed last week for works.

Un terrible incendie est en cours à la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris. Les @PompiersParis sont en train de tenter de maîtriser les flammes. Nous sommes mobilisés sur place en lien étroit avec le @dioceseParis. J'invite chacune et chacun à respecter le périmètre de sécurité.

This looks pretty bad.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
It's horrifying.

In the time I've been watching a feed it's gotten visibly larger and the smoke is much thicker and darker. This is depressing.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
One of the most haunting tourist attractions I've been to is the half-collapsed ruin of Christchurch Cathedral. That was a beautiful church, but Notre Dame is on another level completely. I hope they can save the rose window.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
I had to stop watching because this is too heartbreaking. I was on the phone with my mum and I could hear the tears in her voice, she used to play as a kid in the park at the back of the cathedral and one of my uncles had his confirmation day at the cathedral. It's pretty much part of her childhood going up in flames.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no. Oh no.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
It's being reported as an accident tied to the renovation construction.

That's what I figured. You can see the scaffolding around it. Looks like somebody totally f***ed up.

My wife and I were in Paris last year. That's a beautiful cathedral. I'm not religious or anything. Actually, I'm an atheist, but it's a shame to lose a piece of history like that.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Holy shit. I'm watching the news now.

ETA: A professor living in Paris is talking on the news. He said where he lives in on the 6th floor and he can see into the Cathedral and the roof and interior structure is gone

Last edited:

soulrodeo

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
God, this is horrendous. If this was caused (accidentally) by any one single person, I can't imagine how that person is feeling right now.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I'm an atheist, but it's a shame to lose a piece of history like that.

Agreed. I'm an atheist, too, but you don't have to be religious to recognize that Notre Dame was a spectacular, unparalleled work of art. Not only that, but the sheer age of the place was overwhelming. I was lucky enough to visit once, and it seemed to extend both back and forward in time. When I stepped inside, all I could think about were the generations of people who had passed there before and... as I thought then, the generations that would visit long after I was long gone.

It felt immortal.

I don't cry easily, but I'm tearing up now.

Last edited:

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
It's still not contained. Pictures suggest the stained glass is gone.

At least no injuries have been reported so far. It looks like everybody got out.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
The firefighter spokesperson just mentioned on the French news that they don't think they will be able to save it. The fire is getting to the towers and if they do and the bells fall then it's over. It's absolutely devastating.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
The firefighter spokesperson just mentioned on the French news that they don't think they will be able to save it. The fire is getting to the towers and if they do and the bells fall then it's over. It's absolutely devastating.

What about the surrounding buildings? I checked and it's not terribly windy in Paris right now (6 MPH), so that's good, but a fire that size... if they can't save Notre Dame, I hope it at least doesn't spread.

LittlePinto

Perpetually confused
Registered
Reaction score
The newest report is that they've saved the main structure. Hopefully that's true and future surveys don't show irreparable damage to the stonework.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
What about the surrounding buildings? I checked and it's not terribly windy in Paris right now (6 MPH), so that's good, but a fire that size... if they can't save Notre Dame, I hope it at least doesn't spread.

As far as I'm aware none of the surrounding buildings are affected. They are only on the left side. The front has the big paved square and the back as a park and the right is the river.

They might be able to save the structure unfortunately the 2 beautiful stained-glass rose windows from the 13th century have exploded.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The towers have been saved. Major efforts going to save the artworks stored in rear of building during renovation. Possibly because of that, more will have been saved than would otherwise have been possible.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am not a man of religion, but my deepest sympathies and sincere respect for all of those who are amongst the Faithful. I grieve for and with you.
Meanwhile, Donald J. Trump sends his sympathies. And face plants doing so. :e2thud: