Woe Unto The Writers

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
Hello there! I was just curious about some things. Everyone's different and everyone has a different writing process so I was just wondering what is something about writing that you either dislike or straight up hate?

I, personally, used to think the editing was the worst part of writing, but I have since seen the error of my ways and I realize that my least favorite part of writing is making query letters and synopsizes. It literally makes me want to kill myself and I'm pretty sure I'll have a psychotic break before I have an acceptable query letter.

Anyway, that's just me. What are your writing woes?

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like editing, I always feel like my story is so much better.

My one-ish attempt at a query was awful. I was worried people would think the MS I think is pretty good was horrible because my description was so bad.

But when it's back from the beta reader I will attempt that query again.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Querying. Hate, hate, hate it. I hate it so much most of the time I'm okay with my stuff never getting published as long as I don't have to query. Self-defeating and irrational, for sure, but that's how I feel.

ETA: I'll just say this, and keep in mind I mean no slight toward the wonderful people here at AW who only want to help. They've given their time and experiences freely with no expectation of even a "thanks" in most cases, and I really do appreciate it. But part of what gives me so much stress about querying is that so many people want to help: because everyone has their own ideas of what makes a good query I end up more confused than when I started. The microscope gets turned up to 11 and when half the people say "I love it!" and the other half say "I stopped reading the query three sentences in, you've got some work to do--if this approach can even be saved" I'm left holding the bag wondering what to do next. I read the successful examples, take the advice, and *think* I've done everything right, but . . . the stakes of a bad query seem so high it's best not to make the attempt sometimes. That's how it feels, anyway. [Okay--self-pity blaming others rant over]

Last edited:

Putputt

permanently suctioned to Buz's leg
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Every part. Every part is the worst. Plotting, drafting, editing, querying, being on sub... Writing is like exercising. I like the feeling of having written, but everything else about it is so...effort-y.

*whines endlessly and flops around the internet instead of writing*

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
Querying. Hate, hate, hate it. I hate it so much most of the time I'm okay with my stuff never getting published as long as I don't have to query. Self-defeating and irrational, for sure, but that's how I feel.

ETA: I'll just say this, and keep in mind I mean no slight toward the wonderful people here at AW who only want to help. They've given their time and experiences freely with no expectation of even a "thanks" in most cases, and I really do appreciate it. But part of what gives me so much stress about querying is that so many people want to help: because everyone has their own ideas of what makes a good query I end up more confused than when I started. The microscope gets turned up to 11 and when half the people say "I love it!" and the other half say "I stopped reading the query three sentences in, you've got some work to do--if this approach can even be saved" I'm left holding the bag wondering what to do next. I read the successful examples, take the advice, and *think* I've done everything right, but . . . the stakes of a bad query seem so high it's best not to make the attempt sometimes. That's how it feels, anyway. [Okay--self-pity blaming others rant over]

Maybe I'm horrible, but all the other people who hate querying too make me feel so much better. Writing things that are short are NOT my forte. There's so much crap I want to add and no matter what I feel like writing a query makes me hate my work. It's almost like when I'm writing a query letter I'm writing at the same level I was writing at 10 years ago and I hate it. I do appreciate getting help, but I also just...want to cry every time I start working on my query again, and I don't cry. Anyway, it's just nice to know I'm not the only one who hates query letters. Like Sisyphus, I am bound to the query letter of hell.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
*whines endlessly and flops around the internet instead of writing*

Literally me right now, But it's good to whine sometimes. Then it's like...out in the universe and out of your system. Writing is hard, man.

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
I've queried for songs but never for a novel. I'm guessing it's just as big a pain in the ass.

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
I like editing, I always feel like my story is so much better.

My one-ish attempt at a query was awful. I was worried people would think the MS I think is pretty good was horrible because my description was so bad.

But when it's back from the beta reader I will attempt that query again.

I like editing when I'm done, but in the process I'm not a fan. Now that I'm older and more patient I think it's not so bad.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Writing. Writing is the worst part of the writing process.

Squerying.

The 's' is silent.

:ROFL:

I'm a weirdo who actually doesn't mind writing queries, but I farking hate coming up with a single line version, as more and more agents seem to want now. *sets Query Manager on fire*

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing. Writing is the worst part of the writing process.

:ROFL:

I'm a weirdo who actually doesn't mind writing queries, but I farking hate coming up with a single line version, as more and more agents seem to want now. *sets Query Manager on fire*

Can I remind you how many times you complained about the query writing process?? :ROFL:

Putputt

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No you cannot.

*whispers* it was a lot. ;) F-bombs were deployed. But beef ended up with a brilliant query, so yanno, it’s all just part of the process.

If you don’t complain about every part of the writing process, are you even a writer?

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
If you don’t complain about every part of the writing process, are you even a writer?

Not at all. If you don't complain about writing then you're like...a god or something

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
The first draft. Not because I dislike writing, but because I'm so slow at that stage, and all around me first drafts are being spat out. That feeling of I'm going to be writing this forevvvvver .

abdall

trash mammal
Registered
Reaction score
The first draft. Not because I dislike writing, but because I'm so slow at that stage, and all around me first drafts are being spat out. That feeling of I'm going to be writing this forevvvvver .

First drafts are actually my favorite. It's funny how different people are sometimes. I, personally, don't really like outlining either. That's...why I don't really exactly do it. :e2zipped:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Queries--so much anxiety
Synopses--tell the story? If I tried to tell my stories around a campfire I'd be skewered and roasted
Middles--I suck, this sucks, why am I doing this, why do I ever do this
The 10,000 words before the last 3,000--this. will. never. end.

Basically, I like the feelings in the beginning. The new idea, the rush of oh! what if? and then she can...wouldn't that be fun... Yup, I love writing those first 20,000 words, especially the opening scene.

The Second Moon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
mimistromauthor.com

I love first drafts. I'm a pantser, so I have no idea what's going to happen next and I love it.

The part that I dislike the most would be showing my work to others. I enjoy it at first...before I get the feedback and when I daydream about all the wonderful things people will say. Then someone spots a problem and...well...the fun's over.

But being a part of AW has been so helpful!

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite part would have to be plotting. It gives you the feeling you wrote the book without actually doing anything.

My least favorite part would have to be, as The Second Moon said, getting feedback and realizing you're back at square one.

But there are days where I think my life would be so much easier and less stressful if I had never picked up writing in the first place. But then I'd be bored. So, onward I march.

Cosmering

Registered
Reaction score
I think the first draft is the hardest but editing is where I start to doubt myself more. When editing, I start to wonder if it's actually worth it, if this project could even go anywhere, etc. But getting that first draft down... finding the motivation is tough.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite part would have to be plotting. It gives you the feeling you wrote the book without actually doing anything.

I feel called out. :roll:

Least favorite part is writing the first draft. I have such a problem with scene order and structure.

Favorite part is expanding a story idea from the little seedling of an idea it starts out as. Adding subplots and important points until it's a whole story, not just a nebulous idea. :)