The Dice Man [by Luke Rhinehart]

Jupie

Registered
Reaction score
Who's read this book?

I was thinking about it today while at work. I read this book for the first time ten years ago, after my brother-in-law mentioned it over dinner. It was nothing like I expected but I ended up really enjoying it, mainly because it's one of the funniest books I've ever read. Granted, mostly it's dark humour, but if that's your bag this might be right down your street.

From my experience people are quite ambivalent towards this book. They either 'get' it or they think it's weird or wrong or worse. It certainly touches upon some sensitive points and breaks social conventions. But I wasn't offended by it or outraged, I found it entertaining and also quite insightful into the human condition. While flawed, the 'Dice' idea is a very unique concept and really intriguing. Imagine if we could destroy the 'self' and become random instead. Of course, there's nothing really desirable about this and I'm not about to start practising in my own time. Luke Rhinehart nevertheless drew me as a character and I found his obsession with following the way of the dice very interesting.

In some ways it's a story of gradual descent into insanity unless you see his story as a 'victory' (he certainly might.) I won't go into detail but he becomes more and more extreme until he really can't control his life anymore and everyone around him is affected. I would say this is well worth reading for the humour and controversial content as well as witnessing someone's life fall into shambles while escaping everyday humdrum and boredom for something a little more spontaneous (or a lot!)

Be interested to see if anyone read this book and what their opinions are on it.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I remember reading this in the 70s as a teenager. Can't recall much about it, other than it annoyed me. That doesn't contribute much to the convo. Sorry.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It was the first Rude Book I ever read - but I suspect it wouldn't rate today. I loved the dice philosophy though - I remember spending at least a week living my life by it. Then someone pinched my dice and I moved onto another book and probably a whole different lifestyle.

It was all a very long time ago, though - I was only 14 or so. I'm not 14 anymore. Still - might buy some dice...

Last edited:

Jupie

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I did think about trying out the lifestyle. It attracts the inquisitive-minded I think.

To be fair I read this when I was 17 and I really enjoyed it. That was back in 2007. It does seem to divide people but then again I think it did then. Some of the culture surrounding psychology has changed now but I could sit down and read this and it'd still hold up for me hopefully.