The Blog Support Group (for AW Peers)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the Web Log (Blog) Group

Purpose: This thread, first requested by a member of AbsoluteWrite, is where to participate if you want to share your blog and help others improve their blogs as they help improve your blog. Here is a direct quote, from DimelioraL, regarding the initial request: "Okay, so, like many other writers, I also have a blog which I have been sporadically posting in for about six months or more. Recently I've figured out a theme for it, have rejuvenated it and am now looking for fellow writer-bloggers, whose blogs I can read and keep up with. I wondered if there were any writers with blogs out there interested in a group for us, where we could talk/review latest posts, guest-post for one another and just generally be supportive in that field."

Although AW has a subforum on Blog Reviews, the intent of this group is to provide anything from a one-time review to on-going support for bloggers. We can bounce ideas off one another. We can post our goals, for our blogs, and peers can offer suggestions as to how to work towards those goals (based on knowledge and/or experience). The possibilities are endless.

Participation: To participate, you can do so in one of two ways. 1) If you do not have a blog, or do not want feedback on it but want to participate, feel free to offer feedback on other members' blogs. 2) If you have a blog, and want feedback, post the blog link, what goals you have for the blog, and what they would like others to comment on (or maybe include specific questions you would like answered).

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
I'll just introduce myself :D

Hi I'm Lol (also known as Lola or Dimeliora, I will answer to all). I've been blogging for a couple of years now and am super-excited to have found a group of writer-bloggers :D I blog over at https://loladeelay.wordpress.com. Currently I'm focusing on 'light' posts, aka posts that are optimistic and hopeful, and 'dark' posts, aka posts that have a more negative tune to them. I also stick the occasional writing update there or maybe a thought I'm having. My latest post is about writers being their own cheerleaders, but I'll stick that one up in the 'Have You Updated Your Blog' thread.

From this group I am hoping to;
1) Make friends. Seriously, I've been trying to make writing buddies for over a year now, I am SPECTACULARLY bad at making friends, so it seems.
2) Follow other blogs! I like reading other people's work and following their progress.
3) Receive feedback on my own blog. What I'm primarily looking for is whether or not my work is emotive. I like to make people 'feel' and so it's nice to know if its worked, or why it didn't! Like, if it was too predictable or tacky....you get the idea.

Anyway, I am so pleased to meet you all and I can't wait for this to really get going :D

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Hey. :) Not really looking to join the group (my blog is not a writing blog, I occasionally blather about writing, and infrequently post a bit of fiction, but it isn't a writing blog), but happy to pop in and offer thoughts from time to time. I've been blogging for about 5 years, and do all right for an unknown who takes long and unscheduled breaks with no real focus to the blog, lol.

Hi I'm Lol (also known as Lola or Dimeliora, I will answer to all). I've been blogging for a couple of years now and am super-excited to have found a group of writer-bloggers :D I blog over at https://loladeelay.wordpress.com. Currently I'm focusing on 'light' posts, aka posts that are optimistic and hopeful, and 'dark' posts, aka posts that have a more negative tune to them. I also stick the occasional writing update there or maybe a thought I'm having. My latest post is about writers being their own cheerleaders, but I'll stick that one up in the 'Have You Updated Your Blog' thread.

1) Make friends. Seriously, I've been trying to make writing buddies for over a year now, I am SPECTACULARLY bad at making friends, so it seems.
2) Follow other blogs! I like reading other people's work and following their progress.
3) Receive feedback on my own blog. What I'm primarily looking for is whether or not my work is emotive. I like to make people 'feel' and so it's nice to know if its worked, or why it didn't! Like, if it was too predictable or tacky....you get the idea.

Anyway, I am so pleased to meet you all and I can't wait for this to really get going :D

Hi Lola, a couple of thoughts: I'm much less likely to stay long enough to get to know a blog/blogger if I have to keep clicking to reach each individual post. There are a million blogs out there, and a large percentage are writer's blogs--make it as easy as possible for casual readers to take a few minutes with your words. I didn't see any pics with the posts I clicked on, and often followers like to see pics, even if it's just one at the top or bottom. I clicked on one post where someone left you a comment, but didn't see a response from you. Other bloggers feel differently, but I feel strongly that if someone takes the time to post a comment, I should answer--especially if I'm not one of the bloggers with a large (and I mean large) well established platform, where people are going to come back just bc of my name, kwim? Also, for me that's half the fun, the feedback/conversations that happen in the comments--and WP is excellent at filtering out nonsense.

Sekkori36

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sekkorisbooks.com
Hello All, I'm Sekkori and it's my first time writing a blog. It feels a little weird to me, to leave my footprint on the internet somewhere, but I am also excited to do what I like to do, which is to write. I'm still working on getting my website up and running, hopefully by the end of the week. I will definitely want feedback and suggestions as a first time blogger. I love to read diferent blogs and hear people's opinion on different topics, and its true what AP123 said, I like to read the comments and the replies by bloggers about their posts.

Sekkori36

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sekkorisbooks.com

Lola, I like your post about being your own cheerleader. I like you website, and the fact that you have a page on the menu to describe yourself. Feels like I get to know you a little better before even reading one of your blog posts

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
Hey. :) Not really looking to join the group (my blog is not a writing blog, I occasionally blather about writing, and infrequently post a bit of fiction, but it isn't a writing blog), but happy to pop in and offer thoughts from time to time. I've been blogging for about 5 years, and do all right for an unknown who takes long and unscheduled breaks with no real focus to the blog, lol.

Hi Lola, a couple of thoughts: I'm much less likely to stay long enough to get to know a blog/blogger if I have to keep clicking to reach each individual post. There are a million blogs out there, and a large percentage are writer's blogs--make it as easy as possible for casual readers to take a few minutes with your words. I didn't see any pics with the posts I clicked on, and often followers like to see pics, even if it's just one at the top or bottom. I clicked on one post where someone left you a comment, but didn't see a response from you. Other bloggers feel differently, but I feel strongly that if someone takes the time to post a comment, I should answer--especially if I'm not one of the bloggers with a large (and I mean large) well established platform, where people are going to come back just bc of my name, kwim? Also, for me that's half the fun, the feedback/conversations that happen in the comments--and WP is excellent at filtering out nonsense.

Thank you for your reply! I did put photos up in the beginning, then took them down, so I'll have another look through and perhaps start putting them back up again. As for the comments, I am surprised! I do try to acknowledge every comment I receive, but one must have slipped through the net. I am having a bit of trouble with Wordpress (or my internet, could be either) as we speak, but I will go and have a look for that one. I too am a big believer in responding when people make an effort and don't want people to think I can't be asked!

Also, I didn't quite understand what you meant about reaching each individual post. Could you explain again, please?

Thank you to everyone else who looked at my blog :D It's still a work in progress, so I'm always eager to hear what people think :D

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I didn't quite understand what you meant about reaching each individual post. Could you explain again, please?

I think it's a question of the template you chose. When I go to your blog, there's a title and first couple of sentences for several posts. If I want to read an entire post, I have to click on "more" to read it. While that can seem to give you more clicks, if I'm not totally grabbed by that first sentence, I'm not going to click.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score

Great layout; it's gender neutral, easy on the eyes, easy to navigate, and so forth. I think more pictures would draw more interest.

Free to use images (Google): Start here. Scroll down to "usage rights." Select one to your liking. Run searches in the top section.

I'd like to see more about you on the About page, have the WIPs on a separate tab, and see less of multi-posting (same content in multiple tabs) when you get more content built. Will you seek traditional publishing or self-publishing? There are important things for the WIP section that potential viewers might want to know, such as: what genres of literature do you write in and what types of writing (e.g. novels, short stories, other)? On the About page, I'd like to know more about the "tea maker" element. Is this a joke or something serious? Explain it either way. Things like this make a reader's experience a more personal one. Your May 22nd post poses a question to the reader: should you do updates on your work? I would, but that is your call. Add it to the WIPs section. It shows your level of commitment to producing new work.

What are you doing to build hype/buzz for your WIPs? Do you plan on selling your work, or is it just something for yourself, family, and friends? If you are looking to sell the works, look into generating buzz (and a following for your blog): Buzz 1; Buzz 2; Buzz 3; Buzz 4. Self-Pub buzz: One; Two. Indie's guide to free book reviews.

I think a nice, follow-up post to your last blog entry would be something on what viewers might do to stave off peoples attempts to take the wind out of their sails.

Overall, just some organizational stuff and content additions to consider. One criticism I have is added author thoughts to your individual writing samples. Should these be put at the bottom of each of these, so the reader is not influenced by your thoughts before reading the content?

Other than that, I think it is a nice Blog. Research ways to build a following; this is easy to do on Google. I am not sure what your goals are, so I can only suggest these, for now.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
ap123: I have a question. On the about page, of your blog, what does "reefing" mean? It's a sailing term, but it might be construed as slang. In American slang, reefer is something else. I do not want to make any assumptions!

I like the layout; easy to read and no issues with not wanting to read more. I like the extensive writing samples. Is there a way to couple all the Fiction I-IV (and Astonishing) sections on one tab (called Writing Samples or something similar)? Maybe this is not the feel you are after. I like organization; just my thought.

Overall, great site and it is well-established. Excellent.

Last edited:

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
Great layout; it's gender neutral, easy on the eyes, easy to navigate, and so forth. I think more pictures would draw more interest.

Free to use images (Google): Start here. Scroll down to "usage rights." Select one to your liking. Run searches in the top section.

I'd like to see more about you on the About page, have the WIPs on a separate tab, and see less of multi-posting (same content in multiple tabs) when you get more content built. Will you seek traditional publishing or self-publishing? There are important things for the WIP section that potential viewers might want to know, such as: what genres of literature do you write in and what types of writing (e.g. novels, short stories, other)? On the About page, I'd like to know more about the "tea maker" element. Is this a joke or something serious? Explain it either way. Things like this make a reader's experience a more personal one. Your May 22nd post poses a question to the reader: should you do updates on your work? I would, but that is your call. Add it to the WIPs section. It shows your level of commitment to producing new work.

What are you doing to build hype/buzz for your WIPs? Do you plan on selling your work, or is it just something for yourself, family, and friends? If you are looking to sell the works, look into generating buzz (and a following for your blog): Buzz 1; Buzz 2; Buzz 3; Buzz 4. Self-Pub buzz: One; Two. Indie's guide to free book reviews.

I think a nice, follow-up post to your last blog entry would be something on what viewers might do to stave off peoples attempts to take the wind out of their sails.

Overall, just some organizational stuff and content additions to consider. One criticism I have is added author thoughts to your individual writing samples. Should these be put at the bottom of each of these, so the reader is not influenced by your thoughts before reading the content?

Other than that, I think it is a nice Blog. Research ways to build a following; this is easy to do on Google. I am not sure what your goals are, so I can only suggest these, for now.

Cheers!

Wow, thank you for taking the time to put so much thought into your suggestions! I have already started implementing some of them.

and see less of multi-posting (same content in multiple tabs) when you get more content built.
Can you explain that one again in complete simpleton terms? :D

I like your ides about the WIPs section and putting its updates there. One question I have for everyone is this; in regards to current WIPs, how much information should I/we put? Like a blurb or brief description or excerpts? I want people to be interested but also don't want to accidentally publish myself (I'm terrified of that!)

I'll research those buzz ideas, have a look at the author thoughts in the current posts and carry on tweaking it!

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
ap123: I have a question. On the about page, of your blog, what does "reefing" mean? It's a sailing term, but it might be construed as slang. In American slang, reefer is something else. I do not want to make any assumptions!

I like the layout; easy to read and no issues with not wanting to read more. I like the extensive writing samples. Is there a way to couple all the Fiction I-IV (and Astonishing) sections on one tab (called Writing Samples or something similar)? Maybe this is not the feel you are after. I like organization; just my thought.

Overall, great site and it is well-established. Excellent.

:) Thanks, Enlightened.

Reefing the term used by coral reef hobbyists, referring to ourselves as reefers.

(The fiction samples could be consolidated on one page, but I prefer it this way, so each piece is showcased individually, and those pages are static. While I do talk about writing (sometimes more, sometimes less) that isn't the focus of the blog.)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Can you explain that one again in complete simpleton terms? :D

I like your ides about the WIPs section and putting its updates there. One question I have for everyone is this; in regards to current WIPs, how much information should I/we put? Like a blurb or brief description or excerpts? I want people to be interested but also don't want to accidentally publish myself (I'm terrified of that!)

When I looked at the Blog earlier, I thought I saw the same Blog posts in multiple tabs. Not there anymore! I like the addition of the images. Not every post needs a picture, or it could have one, but I think it makes the Blog look FAR more interesting with them. Great selections!

With WIPs, have a description, log line, or something that tells what you are working on. Maybe add some details, but nothing too telling. Create buzz. Maybe do a piece of short fiction as an MC (telling a joke or something). This can tell readers, who may be potential buyers of your works, what kind of cast you can create, jokes you can tell, and so forth.

I'd get opinions of others, if this might be of interest. I do not know if this is practiced or welcome, but something off the top of my head that may have impact.

- - - Updated - - -

:) Thanks, Enlightened.

Reefing the term used by coral reef hobbyists, referring to ourselves as reefers.

(The fiction samples could be consolidated on one page, but I prefer it this way, so each piece is showcased individually, and those pages are static. While I do talk about writing (sometimes more, sometimes less) that isn't the focus of the blog.)

Thanks for clarifying! Ah, very good. Nice site!

mselephant2015

Registered
Reaction score
With WIPs, have a description, log line, or something that tells what you are working on. Maybe add some details, but nothing too telling. Create buzz.

I've been thinking about this all day and left it until last to do, but now the time has come and I have to admit; I SUCK at things like this. Absolutely. I haven't posted these onto the blog yet because I KNOW they suck but I'd like people's opinions please <3

Amy had it all. Last year she was a successful model, one of the most sought-after in the country, and was living with her boyfriend in their own flat. Now she’s back in her parents’ home, with no boyfriend, no career and no prospects. What the hell happened?

Chris has it all. Brought up with wealth and love, he’s been lined up for promotion, has a devoted girlfriend and hasn’t a worry in his head. So why is he thinking about chucking it all in?
The love of a hobby brings these two conflicting personalities together but do they actually have what it takes to be friends and help one another towards their goals, even if they don’t feel it’s in their best interests?

Chris,

Sorry to drop this on you now. I know we’re supposed to be meeting at the mural in half an hour, but I can’t face it. What’s the point? Art isn’t my purpose in my life. I know what my purpose in life was and I’ve lost it.

You, on the other hand, have it all going for you. Forget the mural, it can paint itself. Why let the opportunity of the job of a lifetime get away from you? I did and I can tell you, it’s no fun on the other side. Take what life is offering you, Chris, and stop resisting it. I have been covering my ears to what has been obvious all along and now I am listening. You should listen, too.

See you soon, pal.
Amy

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this all day and left it until last to do, but now the time has come and I have to admit; I SUCK at things like this. Absolutely. I haven't posted these onto the blog yet because I KNOW they suck but I'd like people's opinions please <3

Amy had it all. Last year she was a successful model, one of the most sought-after in the country, and was living with her boyfriend in their own flat. Now she’s back in her parents’ home, with no boyfriend, no career and no prospects. What the hell happened?

Chris has it all. Brought up with wealth and love, he’s been lined up for promotion, has a devoted girlfriend and hasn’t a worry in his head. So why is he thinking about chucking it all in?
The love of a hobby brings these two conflicting personalities together but do they actually have what it takes to be friends and help one another towards their goals, even if they don’t feel it’s in their best interests?

Chris,

Sorry to drop this on you now. I know we’re supposed to be meeting at the mural in half an hour, but I can’t face it. What’s the point? Art isn’t my purpose in my life. I know what my purpose in life was and I’ve lost it.

You, on the other hand, have it all going for you. Forget the mural, it can paint itself. Why let the opportunity of the job of a lifetime get away from you? I did and I can tell you, it’s no fun on the other side. Take what life is offering you, Chris, and stop resisting it. I have been covering my ears to what has been obvious all along and now I am listening. You should listen, too.

See you soon, pal.
Amy

I'm not that good with these type crits, but here is some things I noticed.

I'd refrain from words like "hell," if you want to attract the largest demographic to your Blog (e.g. kids included or prudes).

There are some minor grammar issues (check those). For example, second example, last sentence, knew is correct with "was."

Your Blog looks very different from when you first posted. I like the changes A LOT! Well done.

I thought more people wanted to join this group (from the last thread). Maybe they are on summer vacation.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Helix is correct. No secondary site to join; all done here.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Helix is correct. No secondary site to join; all done here.

At this point I'm still not sure how this is functionally different from posting in the AW Blog Review subforum and asking for a review, other than being a mite more confusing.

That's not a reason to not do it this way; just a comment.