Score! Sold One!

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to writing, I do two things very well- screenwriting and parody songs. Well, I just signed the contract to do a parody song for a company... for 10 grand! For me, to write and produce the song will take all of three days (I have a ProTools studio in my basement; with Sennheiser Dynamic and M-Audio preamps). The company wants me to take a song and re-write it as a commercial; and the song they picked- Phil Collins, 'Take Me Home'.

I just got done programming the digital music track. The easy way to do it would be to use an existing Karaoke track; but I couldn't find one of quality that didn't have embedded back-up singing in it- which is a problem if you're changing the lyrics. I already wrote the lyrics (for me, that's really the easy part and took me all of an hour to do) so now I'm setting up the tracks to record my own version of Phil Collins.

My Youtube channel is full of parodies, and that fact helped me to sell this one. I'll admit- I've never tried to do a Phil Collins song. I'm a Heldentenor and hitting the notes he does is a stretch for me. But I'll get 'er done.

-Wild Bill

starrystorm

Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow! This is huge! Congratulations, WildBill. :partyguy:

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
Submitting the completed project tomorrow morning at 9AM. Reviewing it now... Yeah, I think they'll approve.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Belated congrats, and well done! No small change, that.

-Derek

Auteur

Redacted
Registered
Reaction score
When it comes to writing, I do two things very well- screenwriting and parody songs. Well, I just signed the contract to do a parody song for a company... for 10 grand! For me, to write and produce the song will take all of three days (I have a ProTools studio in my basement; with Sennheiser Dynamic and M-Audio preamps). The company wants me to take a song and re-write it as a commercial; and the song they picked- Phil Collins, 'Take Me Home'.

I just got done programming the digital music track. The easy way to do it would be to use an existing Karaoke track; but I couldn't find one of quality that didn't have embedded back-up singing in it- which is a problem if you're changing the lyrics. I already wrote the lyrics (for me, that's really the easy part and took me all of an hour to do) so now I'm setting up the tracks to record my own version of Phil Collins.

My Youtube channel is full of parodies, and that fact helped me to sell this one. I'll admit- I've never tried to do a Phil Collins song. I'm a Heldentenor and hitting the notes he does is a stretch for me. But I'll get 'er done.

-Wild Bill

You're probably engaging in a copyright violation, since the "parody" is being produced to be used to sell a product.

You can create a parody song, such as Weird Al did, to comment on the original work. That's considered free speech. But I don't think using it to sell a product is protected speech. Al always got permission from the original artist to parody the song, plus he gave them a percentage of the royalties.

Many artists don't want their music being used in commercials and they might get really pissed off at what you're doing. After all... you're making money from their work, and using it in a commercial could devalue their work and cost them sales.

Better check with a lawyer.

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
You're probably engaging in a copyright violation, since the "parody" is being produced to be used to sell a product.

You can create a parody song, such as Weird Al did, to comment on the original work. That's considered free speech. But I don't think using it to sell a product is protected speech. Al always got permission from the original artist to parody the song, plus he gave them a percentage of the royalties.

Many artists don't want their music being used in commercials and they might get really pissed off at what you're doing. After all... you're making money from their work, and using it in a commercial could devalue their work and cost them sales.

Better check with a lawyer.

You're concern is valid- I went through this with Maria Carey's lawyers a few years ago.

There is an established line between a parody and a derivative work; which has made it through the courts and precedent cases are already established. If what I was doing could be classified as a derivative work then yes, I could get the bejeebits sued out of me. However; in this use, all is well.

In Campbell VS Acuff-Rose Music (Supreme court case (510 U.S. 569- 1994) it was established in the United States that a parody can be used commercially under the fair use act of 1973. As long as the work qualifies as a parody and not derivative (and it does) all is well.

-Wild Bill

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
Just got back. Customer LOVED the parody- and I've got me a check. Boooo-Yaaaah!

-Wild Bill

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
The check cashed and boy, is there a party goin' on! Sorry if I offend anyone, but I'm drunk as hell right now. Being a Navy combat vet, I like my rum- and I chose Kraken. What say you? And anyone that mentions either Captain Morgan or Bacardi obviously knows NOTHING about real rum.

-Wild Bill

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
:Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap::Clap:

:hooray::snoopy::banana:

:partyguy: Party!

Wow! Post a link when you can. Can't wait to hear it.

I'd love too- but with the check went the rights to the song so it's now the property of Gutter Logic. here's a link to the company-

https://www.gutterlogic.com/?utm_so...MIxsjkxLDx4gIVyrXACh1brQkYEAAYASAAEgLxovD_BwE

Damn! that link is stupid long!

They will likely imbed the song into their website as well as produce a video to go along with the song. But that's on them- they didn't hire me to do that.

-Wild Bill

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
Here's the lyrics to the full song. Yes, I recorded this thing- though they won't likely use the whole thing in the future commercial- It's too long and they'll probably just use the chorus and bridge. But here it is-

(Parody of Phil Collins, 'Take Me Home')

I look up and worry
I am not a cleaning man
Up there things are growing
When it's cold the ice will dam
These old gutters are rotting
Right above my door
Someone needs to just fix it
My whole house looks old and worn
But I, I don't climb
No I, I don't climb
Makes no sense to keep waiting
They have got to go
No leaves are escaping
It gets worse with each downpour
My soffits are just rotting
Water comes in from outside
It seeps into my ceilings
But to go up there's a fright
So I, I don't climb
No I, I don't climb
Oh I, I don't climb
No I, I don't climb
I need, Gutter Dome
Real home protection, with Gutter Dome
Real home protection, with Gutter Dome
Oh Lord, Cleaning them is not worth risking my life
And I can say to you
Now I have no worry
Clean for the rest of my life
Raining in the daylight
Or storming through the night
I don't have any problems
Gutter Logic solved them all
If you want peace just listen
I will tell you who they are
'Cause I, I don't climb
No I, I don't climb
Oh I, I don't climb
No I, I don't climb
So Get, Gutter Dome
My home's protected, with Gutter Dome
...ETC...

Wild Bill

Last edited:

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
Go ahead. Compare the original lyrics to this. You will see that not only do the rhymes match but the meter is also exact to the original. Eat your heart out, Weird Al. Wild Bill in the Haus, Ya.

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
Can I sing Phil Collins? Here's a link to my Youtube channel where I did all of the singing to Pink Floyd. Yes, this is just me on all of the harmonies and lead. And yeah... the last bit was a mother to sing. Way out of my Heldontenor range. But I did it- out of 17 takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts05uhTGZAs

-Wild Bill

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can I sing Phil Collins? Here's a link to my Youtube channel where I did all of the singing to Pink Floyd. Yes, this is just me on all of the harmonies and lead. And yeah... the last bit was a mother to sing. Way out of my Heldontenor range. But I did it- out of 17 takes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts05uhTGZAs

-Wild Bill
That's hilarious, and well done.

But it makes me sad your cat disappeared.

TrapperViper

Registered
Reaction score
This was an incredibly enjoyable thread. Thank you Mr. Wild Bill. Congrats. Your grill is on fire video is hilarious...

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations!

Will check out your channel soon!

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
So... I've got a bit of a headache from last night but otherwise I'm alive and well. My wife would like a nice present- and after doing some searching online I may get her... a 2011 Hyundai Sonata. I found one for 7k in nice shape.

-Wild Bill

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
Wife happy. 2011 Sonata with only 41K miles. Paid cash. Score!

WildBill

Registered
Reaction score
Whelp, I scored some serious husband points today so I'm gonna cash some of them in. G'night, Y'all.

-Wild Bill