• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Mental Health Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Natalia

Hiya all

I am writing a short story that takes place in a Psychiatric Ward and need a bit of guidance as far as nurse lingo, responsibilites and limitations as well as info on documentation etc. I want this to have an authentic feel.

Any takers, feel free to answer here or email me :)

Cheers,

Natalia

wurdwise

If you don't get a response soon, go the freelance forum. There is a thread called Profnet, it's all about a free site with information from every kind of professional.

tfdswift

Re: :)

What exactly do you want to know. When you say nurse lingo, it is different depending on the illness, the nurse and the situation. For instance, if someone were to get out of control, a nurse might say page Dr. so & so. Or There is a standing order for ativan or halidal.

If you are talking about just general conversation between nurses when there is no "excitement" going on, they talk about their personal lives. You may want to add that a psych tech does a patient check every 15 minutes. There is also the fact that everybody is woke up at 6:45 to get their vitals checked every morning.

There is usually a group meeting at the end of the day where the nurse asks these questions...
On a scale of 1-10 ten being great and 1 being miserable, how do you feel or how did you feel for most of the day.
Do you hear voices? or Are you hearing voices right now?
Do you feel like hurting yourself or some one else?
How is your appetite?
How is your sleeping pattern?

I won't tell how I know most of this because it would break a confidence. But you can email me at my personal email [email protected] if you want to ask some specific questions.

~~Tammy

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Do you still need that nurse? If so, I can help. I have 15yrs experience.

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Status
Not open for further replies.