Books! Books! My Sock For Some Books!

Omniregency

A Rouge
Registered
Reaction score
This took me by surprise but I have actually almost run out of books to read on my Tablet. So now I need, desperately need some good books to re-stock on and if anyone has any ideas - please, please send their titles my way!

What I want is - (List Edited)

*Fantasy or Sci-fi

*No YA, Grimdark, Supernatural, Urban, post-apocalyptic, horror, sad, end of life, slice of life, dark novels or anthologies, (not really my thing)

*No vampires, werewolves, other were-creatures, nothing with things with too many eyeballs or zombies.

*I would like something nice and filled with magic, fun sci-fi things, mythical creatures, nice characters (a must), cool spaceships, adventure, dragons, elves, magical swords...

*Nothing that is like The Magicians (Like the tv show, hate the books), Malazan, Prince of Thorns or Game of Thrones.

*Something like Discworld or The Deed of Paksenarrion or Pip and Flinx would be nice. Or something like Anne McCaffrey, Epic Fantasy, Sword and Sorcery, Riyria Revelations, Roger Zelazny, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Mercedes Lackey... Love all of these so something similar in feel would do nicely.

*Completed series - I don't like waiting for a new book!

Thank you all a bunch!

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
If you're exceptionally bored, click through the link in my signature (and just read Descriptions if you don't want my opinions - I try to keep those spoiler-free.)

Otherwise, a few quick suggestions, as I have to get out the door soon for work.

Have you looked at Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories? They're a bit dated, but they're classic sword and sorcery, with more of a sense of fun (and some sly digs at the genre). Shorts, but they read fast and are adventurous, plus they tend to build on each other.

Another older series would be Jennifer Roberson's Sword-Dancer saga.

If you're good with alt-history, consider Naomi Novik's Temeraire series; alternate Napoleonic wars with sapient dragons.

For fun SF, try Scott Meyer. His Magic 2.0 series, about modern programmers discovering the data files behind reality and using it to become "wizards," has a Douglas Adams Lite feel to it. Also Dennis E. Taylor's Bobiverse books, about a modern programmer/sci-fi nerd resurrected as the AI of a future space probe; a fun, throwback feel, like when Star Trek was about exploration and a sense of wonder.

For epic fantasy that isn't as grim or tedious as GRRM, try Tad Williams or Kristen Britain.

Gotta get going... I know I have more, and I'll try to get back after work.

Last edited:

Omniregency

A Rouge
Registered
Reaction score
How do you feel about Brandon Sanderson's books?

Well... if I say that if I never hear his name again I would be happy would that give you enough information as to how I feel? :)

Have you looked at Fritz Lieber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories? They're a bit dated, but they're classic sword and sorcery, with more of a sense of fun (and some sly digs at the genre). Shorts, but they read fast and are adventurous, plus they tend to build on each other.

Another older series would be Jennifer Roberson's Sword-Dancer saga.

If you're good with alt-history, consider Naomi Novik's Temeraire series; alternate Napoleonic wars with sapient dragons.

For fun SF, try Scott Meyer. His Magic 2.0 series, about modern programmers discovering the data files behind reality and using it to become "wizards," has a Douglas Adams Lite feel to it. Also Dennis E. Taylor's Bobiverse books, about a modern programmer/sci-fi nerd resurrected as the AI of a future space probe; a fun, throwback feel, like when Star Trek was about exploration and a sense of wonder.

For epic fantasy that isn't as grim or tedious as GRRM, try Tad Williams or Kristen Britain.

Gotta get going... I know I have more, and I'll try to get back after work.

I have read Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser and Tad Williams and Kristen Britain. Dated is fine! I like completed series which does put them back a bit.

I do not like Novik's works they are just awful, between how the dragons are treated and the MC not having any sort of spine.

I will have a look at the other suggestions though...