July 2019 Challenge - Write Every Day!

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
This is a thread open to anyone who wants to start, maintain, or reinforce a writing habit. (It can also be about revision, editing, research -- all writing habits welcome!)

The basic idea is that repeating something daily, even if only for a short time, will build a habit that becomes stronger over time.

It's entirely up to you how much and in what way you participate. Post your goals if you like, or just check in when you can!

Here are some tips:

• Set achievable goals – I can't stress enough how important this is. To build a habit, doing something is more important than quantity or quality.
  • Keep up the habit as many days in the week as possible – even if it's just a few sentences or a bit of editing. It reinforces the habit and makes it easier to get started.
  • Mix it up – Try different types of goals, different times of the day, different tricks to reward or motivate yourself. A good habit is what works for you, not someone else.
  • Be patient – It takes a long time to build a strong habit and you'll always be facing new challenges. Get used to constantly adapting and you'll be better prepared for whatever problem comes up next.
  • Don't give up because you didn't hit your goal – When you fail to hit your target, your job is figuring out why it happened. That way, you can find ways to get around your roadblocks (and don't be scared of lowering the bar - doing something is better than doing nothing). If you share your stumbles in the thread, others might be able to help out with tips, tricks, and support! And sometimes, it's okay to just take a break for a day or two, or have scheduled days "off". Whatever works for you!

Good luck, and see you on July 1st!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Hay Magnus!

Thanks as always & ever for starting these threads -

I'm in for my usual three -

1) Add words to my WIP
2) at least one action of self-care/responsibility
3) at least one action to bring in more money

Allowing myself one skip day per category each week, if I feel like it.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I solemnly swear that I will do something worthwhile

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Hae Thar! :hooray:

1. Write or do something every day, toward WIPs, inspiration be damned.
2. Revise, revise, revise
3 Word count whatever
4. Publish the historical, already.
5. Don't beat myself up if I fall below my targets.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
I'm baaa-aaack. After floundering around for two months, I think I've got my act together. I'm back on the one book and thinking real hard about getting back to the other one. Plus I've got a M/M story partway written but need to research traveling Wild West shows. (Hope they still have those, or I'm screwed.)

This time I'm giving myself deadlines. I want to finish at least one book by the end of July, and sub Book 1 in the series by the end of August. We're talking e-book romance here, where average word count is around 45K words or less per "book," so it's definitely doable. Unless one tends to screw off, the way I've been doing. I'm hoping a set deadline will keep me focused. If I make deadline, I get pizza. The good stuff, not that reheated crap they sell by the slice at the mall.

I may not report in every day, but I will be keeping track of word counts. Any good news you'll hear about.

By the way, that romance series is set to run for 8 books, and picked up a follow-up trilogy because Hawaiian Girl demanded her own story. At least I won't have to worry about what to write about.

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be pushing on with the third draft, and maybe even racing through a fourth.

Writing wise, the dreaded cover letter and synopsis should keep me busy.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in again.

Words every day, no matter how many/few.

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for starting the thread, Magnus!

July goals:
1) Finish WIP
2) Start revising Book III of The Saga
3) Read more, less TV

Glad to see you back, Pterofan!

Good luck, everybody!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I'm still mulling over the 5 characters not 3 conundrum.

If have the extra two, I need to give them arcs and personalities and desires. Is wanting no change and a quiet life a want? I think so. The character won't get it.
The other new character wants freedom.

Mull mull mull

In other news, I joined a gym. I need a lie down.

Keep swimming or sailing...

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I punted on this challenge well over a year ago but now I am thinking maybe I will try again. I liked ap123’s formulation:

Words every day, no matter how many/few.

I’m ... not going to achieve this, I know. But I am going to aim for it. I’m working through a revision of a promising short story, about which I am feeling wisps of despair, despite generally positive feedback on the excerpt I put in SYW the other day). I’m going to focus on finishing that for now.

After that, I really must revive my stalled-out novel, and my eye this month is toward developing good habits in preparation for the pain of that.

:e2coffee:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I punted on this challenge well over a year ago but now I am thinking maybe I will try again. I liked ap123’s formulation:

I’m ... not going to achieve this, I know. But I am going to aim for it. I’m working through a revision of a promising short story, about which I am feeling wisps of despair, despite generally positive feedback on the excerpt I put in SYW the other day). I’m going to focus on finishing that for now.

After that, I really must revive my stalled-out novel, and my eye this month is toward developing good habits in preparation for the pain of that.

Welcome back, Lakey. :Hug2:

For me, keeping my goal/expectations vague and small helps, bc I'm not beating myself up for low word count days, getting caught in well, I didn't make my WC goal for the past week, why bother, etc. I don't meet this goal every day either, but it's still helpful and keeps me going, especially combined with a supportive group where everyone truly is working at their own pace.

Pterofan

Trust me, I'm a writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pterosnest.blogspot.com
Day 1 - close to 900 words (so far)

Okay, at least half of that was rewriting the opening of the latest chapter, plus I had a pre-written background paragraph waiting in another file for exactly this spot. But there were new words in there, and I hope to add more new words later today. I'm this close to 1000 words, I can't just let it slide.

An auspicious beginning. Now, if I can just keep it up for the next 30 days ...

Keithy - if you lie down at the gym, they'll still make you exercise. There are too many muscles you can strengthen while on your back. Lying down will not save you.

WGough - thanks! It's good to be back. I desperately need some form of structure. And accountability. :whip:

Magnus

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be running a timer whenever I'm actively working on my writing. If I stray as it runs I'll stop it and won't start until I've well and truly caught up, as only proper work time is allowed to be registered. I'll report my time here, with little other information. I know what I have to do and I'm equipped to do it, so it's all about building a habit of running that timer higher and higher.

Day 1
2 hours 12 minutes.

Welcome everyone to the challenge! May your words run like the wind.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Lakey! Pterofan! Good to see you both :)

Anyway, sorry, I'm kicking off the month with a drive-by. Life delivered something horrible so I'm a bit out of sorts. Still, I wrote a page and a bit when I was feeling a bit better, and messed around in GIMP. GIMP is hard.

I don't have a set goal either--just show up every weekday and get stuff done--but I would really like to get this book close to publication by the end of the month.

Day 1: Wee bit; 5 miles; sad face

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Day 1
Drafted 2024 words.

Lakey! Glad you're here.

Pterofan: Yes to auspicious beginnings!

Magnus: Interesting plan! Look forward to watching your progress.

April: Hope all works out well soon. Way to work through it.

Have a great month, everybody!

laynecalry

Registered
Reaction score
My first reply i deleted it somehow. I apologize.

1. Edit at least one page a day of book two in my trilogy.

2. Draft a query letter for book one by the end of the month.

onceuponatime

Learning and growing
Registered
Reaction score
1. 25k for Camp nanowrimo :eek: I think of it as a half-marathon to train for November!

2. Pull together the threads - I have a lot of scenes on paper, but they need to be developed into a narrative. I want the end result to be part of a draft, not just writing.

3. Tying in to that, I'm going to try to work on the quieter interludes so that my world starts feeling lived-in: I've created a world with a really interesting (to me) premise and a lot of political action, but schemers still gotta eat :Shrug:

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Day 1: 212 words

Pterofan--excellent start to the month for you!

Magnus--well done :)

April--I'm sorry for the rough day, good job on pushing through and getting a wee bit done!

Wgough--wow, great day!!!

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
Magnus - that sounds like a good idea. But time seems to fly when I'm writing.
WGough - oh that is a mountain of words! Wow! Serious hat doffings for you.

I sat down and did some work on the Mila character. She's a robot and has some interesting data on various conversations. If I can get this right I can integrate her into the main plot better.

I feel like I am beginning to cruise.

Keep on swimming swimming :)

aurora borealis

Registered
Reaction score
I'm back in for this month!

July goals:
1) Spend 30 minutes a day plotting.
2) Write 200 words a day.
3) Read a book a week.

I've trunked the WIP from June so I'll be predominantly writing short fiction this month while I plan my next novel.

Today I didn't do any writing, but spent an hour plotting and read 80 pages of my current book (A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James).

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Day 1

Draft - 759

Revisions - 1 section

Polish - several scenes

Research - Metallic fabric fashions of 1985, sailing yachts and sports cars.

Ptero - Welcome back! Terrific start!

ap - Great start!

Gough - Super start!

I fiddle-farted around on my gallery and almost took today off, but I didn’t want to miss the starting line.

My first article for August is going to be Rats I Have Known or Rats! about funny run-ins I’ve had with wharf rats, including the time one charged me in the parking lot at work.

Last edited:

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Day 1

Edited 11 pages

well done on all the great starts!

April - I hope you're ok :Hug2:

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I worked on revising my short-story last night - I don't have a metric of either word-count or time (I wasn't paying attention to the clock), and I can't even say I revised N pages because I was working on revisions in a couple different places in the piece. But I did something, which is really all I'm going for.

And I have to say that signing up for this challenge really made it happen. I might not have pushed myself to it otherwise.

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
WGough: Woo, 2k!

laynecalry, onceupon, aurora: Welcome and good luck!

ap123: Nice way to kick off the month. I need to get better at letting myself off the hook on rough days .. .

Keithy: Yay cruise control!

Cindyt: Ah, 80s fashion. Gotta love it.

pingle: Thank you :) I’m fine. Just … urgh, Life (and people) can be really cruel and frustrating sometimes. Great work! Wanna come revise some of my pages? :p

Lakey: Sometimes focusing on the metric can be detrimental. You spent time moving the work forward, and that’s awesome.

I finally got to the end of Chap 2 (draft 3), and … I think it’s alright. The end might need a bit of jazzing up. Anyway, now I need to map Chap 3, which is going to be completely written from scratch with no old material, so, yeah, gotta tough one coming up.

Day 2: Wee bit; 2.5 miles; Picard pain-relief