Hihihi, I'm here to read your queer fiction :O

Ehlionney

Vickichuuuuuuuuu
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone ^_^

I'm Ehlionney, but you can also call me Vicki or Vickichu! I'm a super queer lowlife who writes dark fantasy with heavy steampunk/magitech influence (sometimes this genre is called "Dungeon punk" or "arcane punk") and a diverse cast. I'd love to meet other queer content creators and share inspiration with each other :)

I suppose the best way to describe myself as a writer:
Have you ever noticed that even when the Big Bad is planning to destroy the world and has the resources to do it, somehow a single insignificant hero and a band of misfits manages to interfere with EVERY one of BBEGs plans, on a global scale, by sheer coincidence? OR even worse, the BBEG somehow only does everything important in one single area that is easily accessible to the heroes? What's going on in the rest of the world? What happens in the places where there the BBEG is doing stuff that the heroes don't conveniently drop in to interrupt?

That's what I seek to write. In my series, the BBEG is everywhere. I write in a fully fleshed out world, where bad stuff is happening all over the place and there just plain aren't enough heroes to do anything about it. But really, what makes a hero? Someone in the wrong place, at the wrong time, who just makes shit happen because otherwise, people die.

In my writing, I seek to create a sense of grand scale: a dark and gritty world on the brink of ruin, and the people - both extraordinary and extra ordinary - struggling to survive in it. I attempt to build this sense of scale through a series that, rather than following a single hero/group of heroes, instead focuses on a different group in each book that overlap with each other to offer intersecting points of view.

The hero in one story carrying out the dying wish of a noble Paladin to protect his niece from assassins might appear as the antagonist in a different story about a young swordswoman trying to kill a dark summoner trying to unleash ancient demons on the world... and they might both be targeting the same girl. What you see is not always what you get; truth and justice are as gray as the steel your blade is made of.

Anyways! Fellow queer content creators and/or "dungeon/arcane punk" writers, please be my friends! ^_^

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Hi, Vicki. Goood to have you here. Welcome to AW. Why lowlife? :) :hi:

Ehlionney

Vickichuuuuuuuuu
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Urban Spaceman :)

I don't really ever think of genre personally, which is why I'm not personally attached to the terms "dungeon punk" etc, but it seems to be a big deal for a lot of folks. If I were to describe my work in my own terms, it would be "woo airships and magic and science-y stuff that's not really science it's MAGIC, yeah!" hahaha

Ehlionney

Vickichuuuuuuuuu
Registered
Reaction score
Why lowlife?

low·life
ˈlōlīf/
noun
people or activities characterized as being disreputable and often criminal.
"crackheads, loafers, and general nineties low life"

Because my gayness is borderline criminal, I'm an extinction-event level asteroid of gayness with a rainbow streaming off the back :p

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given each week.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
I too love to come in rainbows blazing, so, welcome from a lesbian fantasy novelist! I've never heard of dungeon punk or arcane punk but they sound like awesome genres. :hi:

Ehlionney

Vickichuuuuuuuuu
Registered
Reaction score
I too love to come in rainbows blazing, so, welcome from a lesbian fantasy novelist! I've never heard of dungeon punk or arcane punk but they sound like awesome genres. :hi:

Yessss, let the rainbows flow through you :e2grouphu

"Dungeon punk" and "arcane punk" aren't really terms that I embrace with any level of enthusiasm, but they're the only categories I've ever found that really come close.

Basically, picture a point somewhere between Steampunk and Cyberpunk, and then make everything that runs on "science" run on magic instead. It's most common in tabletop games, especially Eberron and Planescape which are direct inspirations for the style; Exalted and Shadowrun are pretty good examples of it too. In video games, there's also a lot of good examples, like Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, Final Fantasy Tactics (indirectly, the ancient civilization was a prime example but you only interact with remnants of it). Other video games include the Ar Tonelico series, the Tales Of series (especially Tales of Xillia 1 and 2), Lost Oddysey, Last Remnant, Legend of Heroes series (the Trails in the Sky, Trails of Cold Steel miniseries' and their associated works)

Phantasmagoria

Registered
Reaction score
Yessss, let the rainbows flow through you :e2grouphu

"Dungeon punk" and "arcane punk" aren't really terms that I embrace with any level of enthusiasm, but they're the only categories I've ever found that really come close.

Basically, picture a point somewhere between Steampunk and Cyberpunk, and then make everything that runs on "science" run on magic instead. It's most common in tabletop games, especially Eberron and Planescape which are direct inspirations for the style; Exalted and Shadowrun are pretty good examples of it too. In video games, there's also a lot of good examples, like Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 13, 14, Final Fantasy Tactics (indirectly, the ancient civilization was a prime example but you only interact with remnants of it). Other video games include the Ar Tonelico series, the Tales Of series (especially Tales of Xillia 1 and 2), Lost Oddysey, Last Remnant, Legend of Heroes series (the Trails in the Sky, Trails of Cold Steel miniseries' and their associated works)

See now you've brought in some of my favorite games (Final Fantasy, if you couldn't tell from my Fang/Vanille profile pic, hah). I see by your Edea pic you are also a fan :)

I always have been inspired by the storytelling in Final Fantasy games. FFX will forever be a huge inspiration to me in particular... If you have any authors to recommend in this genre, I'm all ears!

Ehlionney

Vickichuuuuuuuuu
Registered
Reaction score
See now you've brought in some of my favorite games (Final Fantasy, if you couldn't tell from my Fang/Vanille profile pic, hah). I see by your Edea pic you are also a fan :)

I always have been inspired by the storytelling in Final Fantasy games. FFX will forever be a huge inspiration to me in particular... If you have any authors to recommend in this genre, I'm all ears!

Unfortunately, "dungeon/arcane punk" and magitek itself aren't very common in literature yet. I've encountered plenty of novels that have a magic fantasy setting and they'll include something tech-ish run off of magic, but it will usually be written as an anachronism.

It's more common in Japanese and Korean light novels, webcomics, manga, etc. And especially in games as I'd pointed out earlier.