The Liberty Amendments

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Frankly, I haven't seen any efforts to convene anything even remotely resembling a Constitutional Congress to enact anything from this book. Nothing's been presented anywhere and the only discussions I've seen (this was the first I'd heard of this book, by the way) regarding it are online reviews, magazine/newspaper articles, and blog posts linked in the Wikipedia article. And from what I can tell, it's nothing that hasn't been said before by other talk show hosts or bloggers; there mustn't be that much interest on Capitol Hill.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
:Wha:

Well those are... batshit crazy.

Alvah

Life is what you make of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Article 5 says that two thirds of state legislatures can agree to call a Constitutional convention. Already 28 of the necessary 34 have agreed, according to Robert Reich (link below) Once a convention is convened, they can change anything. For example they could restrict free speech and freedom of the press, they could allow a president to serve as many terms as he or she wanted, they could declare a state approved religion, and so on.

Granted, changes would have to be approved by 3/4ths of the states, but that may be possible, given the power of money to influence politics.

Here is a link to a talk by Robert Reich: the Biggest Threat to Our Democracy that No One Has Heard Of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhC6kIA0EM8

Calling something "batshit crazy" does nothing to help protect our country. It's just venting.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Article 5 says that two thirds of state legislatures can agree to call a Constitutional convention. Already 28 of the necessary 34 have agreed, according to Robert Reich (link below) Once a convention is convened, they can change anything. For example they could restrict free speech and freedom of the press, they could allow a president to serve as many terms as he or she wanted, they could declare a state approved religion, and so on.

Granted, changes would have to be approved by 3/4ths of the states, but that may be possible, given the power of money to influence politics.

Here is a link to a talk by Robert Reich: the Biggest Threat to Our Democracy that No One Has Heard Of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhC6kIA0EM8

Calling something "batshit crazy" does nothing to help protect our country. It's just venting.

What would you like me to do about it?

I'm pro secession.

If the U.S. actually amended the Constitution in ways antithetical to the point of the Constitution, not to mention batshit crazy, stupid, and short-sighted, they deserve what they get. Hopefully, if it got anywhere close to that, Justin Trudeau would take us in.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm pro secession.

If the U.S. actually amended the Constitution in ways antithetical to the point of the Constitution, not to mention batshit crazy, stupid, and short-sighted, they deserve what they get. Hopefully, if it got anywhere close to that, Justin Trudeau would take us in.

That would mean a war between the US and Canada. It's not going to happen. Much like the allegedly proposed Constitution Convention.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
That would mean a war between the US and Canada. It's not going to happen. Much like the allegedly proposed Constitution Convention.

Why would it mean a war? You think Trump (or the people actually in charge) would want to go to war to stop heavily-democratic states from seceding? The base would kill them for it. Nevermind I don't know how that'd even work --

'NY voted to secede? Canada says it'll subsume NY? We'll.... use tanks!'

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score

I really don't want any of this, but wouldn't it be a scream if the right wing removed the term limit on behalf of 45, only for Obama to run again and become a 21st century FDR?

MS KIKI

Banned
Reaction score

I'm pro secession.

Don't count on Trudeau necessarily taking care of you.

https://www.theindychannel.com/newsy/is-meritbased-immigration-our-solution-lets-ask-canada

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score

I don't understand the relevance of the link. It's just talking about rules for individual immigration to Canada, which are similar to most western nations,' and mentions how Canadians are pro-immigration.

I'm pro secession. I want him to take my entire state. The large number of new citizens would increase costs for Canada, but we bring great economic benefit and huge tourist draws. I think it'd be a win-win.

If someone actually attempted enacting idiotic amendments like the ones dreamt up by a screaming loony from the radio, I would happily apply for citizenship or asylum personally though.

MS KIKI

Banned
Reaction score
I'm pro secession. I want him to take my entire state. The large number of new citizens would increase costs for Canada, but we bring great economic benefit and huge tourist draws. I think it'd be a win-win.

Go for it!

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I dunno...considering Canada has oil, I'd be worried about a convenient war.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Why would it mean a war? You think Trump (or the people actually in charge) would want to go to war to stop heavily-democratic states from seceding? The base would kill them for it. Nevermind I don't know how that'd even work --

'NY voted to secede? Canada says it'll subsume NY? We'll.... use tanks!'
See, I think Michigan would have a better chance than NY.
Detroit is kind of on the ropes, used to playing second-fiddle to Chicago and New York and it's on the edge of the Great Lakes, so it's useful and not a threat.

New York State has New York City, with is so going to outshine Toronto and Ottawa. How long before people start thinking of New York City as the capital of Canada? Population-wise, it would be the tail that wags the dog.

On the other hand, we'd gladly welcome Alaska back into the fold.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
And here I was imagining Trump and his boys would go to war with Canada over the 'mistreatment' of their allies in Saudi Arabia. After all, if tensions there continue to escalate, we know which side Trump will be on.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Liberty Amendments?

Back to the OT:
I am only a foreigner, and not very political, but if there have only been 27 amendments passed in the past 200+ years, do you really need 11 more, all at once? It seems more disruptive than anything else.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Back to the OT:
I am only a foreigner, and not very political, but if there have only been 27 amendments passed in the past 200+ years, do you really need 11 more, all at once? It seems more disruptive than anything else.

The trick is: if you want to change the ethical and legislative tone of the entire country, you have to jam in as much as you can when the door is open.

I mean, we've never been able to open the thing in my lifetime to have women merely proclaimed equal-and-valid citizens.

To permanently destroy a Democratic Republic, adjustments have to be sweeping. Best to accomplish it on a rare occasion that enough states agree to consider it, and enough special interest money exists to push it all through.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
The trick is: if you want to change the ethical and legislative tone of the entire country, you have to jam in as much as you can when the door is open.

I mean, we've never been able to open the thing in my lifetime to have women merely proclaimed equal-and-valid citizens.

To permanently destroy a Democratic Republic, adjustments have to be sweeping. Best to accomplish it on a rare occasion that enough states agree to consider it, and enough special interest money exists to push it all through.

Not to mention ensuring women will never officially be equal and valid citizens.

Oh, social progress, I miss you already.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
True. I remember the latest push for the ERA. May the Liberty Amendments also go fail, only harder and faster.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Get in line. I am 87.35% sure Washington is first in line for absorption. We're practically Canadian already. :e2tongue:

Well, the Western bit, anyway... not so sure about the Eastern chunk of the state.

I'm in Minnesota. Canada could finally have the North Manitoba and South Manitoba like they'd always dreamed of.