• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Trident Media Group

hraaja

I'm verrry new to the world of writing. Can anyone tell me anything, good bad or otherwise, about Trident Media Group in New York City? I got a very quick positive response to a query asking for a proposal and would like a little help on understanding who I am dealing with. Thanks!

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Trident Media Group in NYC

Trident Media Group (Robert Gottlieb's agency) is huge. Their agents range from junior level to the executives, including RG himself and John Silbersack. Completely legitimate agency. They do, however, require submitters to complete a fairly standard waiver (Wizards of the Coast had something similar) when they send in their proposal/partial/full. This is to protect the agency as opposed to hurt the writer. (I know that my first thought when I read the waiver was, "What if they steal my stuff?" Then I realized (A) this is a legitimate agency that doesn't steal ideas, (B) if it did steal ideas, Writer Beware and nearly every other watchdog agency would post about it in screamingly bright colors. I also had a lawyer review the waiver, and he gave it a thumbs up.)

My biggest complaint with TMG: s-l-o-w response time.

If you sign with an agent from TMG, you should do the happy dance. Best of luck!

Robert Walton

Landing an Agent from Trident Media Group is like hitting a Home Run in your first Major League game.

mommie4a

Mother of All Addictions
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jillmillerzimon.com
Ditto all the good stuff about Trident. I met someone from there at a conference a couple of years ago and it was big deal that he even came to the conference. Seemed very polished, straightforward, not snooty. Good luck.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
The best agents are generally very approachable because they have to be in order to deal with both writers and editors.

Reactions: byarvin

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
hraaja said:
Thanks for the feedback. How slow is slow?

One of the agents has had my full MS, by request, since November 14, 2004. I checked in at the end of January (because I had been told the RT would be 4 - 6 weeks). As of January 28, 2005, they were still considering it. So, let's see, quick count. Tomorrow will be 18 weeks that they've had the full MS.

Ed Williams

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.ed-williams.com
Trident has one of my manuscripts...

...as well, and Dave, you will be pleased to know that I researched them on P&E before submitting. They may be a tad slow, but I agree with the earlier assessment that landing an agent with them is like hitting a home run with the bases loaded.

Re the waiver, I had an attorney buddy look at it as well, no probs, at least from his perspective.

Kent Dorfman:
Excuse me, sir, is this the Delta House?
Bluto: Sure! Come on in.

Query Ninja

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to this site. WOW what a great resource. I had a bad experience with Trident. An agent there contacted ME because he'd read some of my poetry and asked if I was interested in writing a novel. In fact, I had just started one. Sent it to him; loved it. I sent the next installment- similar to the first- his reaction was over the top negative. Something didn't jive. When I completed the entire novel 2 years later, I sent it to him and responded right away, said he was happy to hear from me, would read it and call so we could discuss. I sent it to him on email. Did I ever hear back from him? I sent a follow-up email; same stone-cold silence.

It felt unprofessional and demoralizing to get treated like that.

The novel has passed thru some other top agencies in NY by now and they've all had really positive things to say (I started at the top and am working my way down).

If I ever run into him, Ima smack him upside the head.

:Hammer:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Query Ninja said:
Hello. I'm new to this site. WOW what a great resource. I had a bad experience with Trident. An agent there contacted ME because he'd read some of my poetry and asked if I was interested in writing a novel.
Query Ninja, it sounds like you dealt with the other Trident. What you've described is not the way a legit agency or agent behaves.

Query Ninja

Registered
Reaction score
Trident Media Group- 41 Madison, run by Gottlieb. It's the same one. That's why I'm posting a complaint here. I WISH it was another Trident but it wasn't. I would post the name of the agent but that's probably too much.

:mad:

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Wow, surprised to hear that.

Update on the "how slow is slow" question: Still nothing from the agent who's had my requested full MS since November 15, 2004. If November 2005 rolls around without any word, maybe I'll send an anniversary card...

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
How long is a typical wait with this agency?

Ed Williams said:
...as well, and Dave, you will be pleased to know that I researched them on P&E before submitting. They may be a tad slow, but I agree with the earlier assessment that landing an agent with them is like hitting a home run with the bases loaded.

Re the waiver, I had an attorney buddy look at it as well, no probs, at least from his perspective.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I'm still waiting, although I heard last week from the agent's assistant that my novel was "still under consideration." Which, of course, could mean that the agent hasn't cracked it open yet, or that it's currently being used as a booster seat for a toddler. But it sure as heck means that it hasn't been rejected at this point. So that makes me happy.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-07-2006, 04:35 PM
Puma
Board fanatic

Website Question

Has anyone besides me tried to access Trident Media New York recently and had it lock up their computer? I have not been able to get on their site. I was on it a couple months ago but no go this time. I've tried from P&E and via a Goggle search. Puma
06-07-2006, 05:08 PM
James D. Macdonald
Dawnolite Sparklecow
Absolute Sage

The have a bunch of absolutely useless Java animations all over their page. Try turning off Java and going back.
06-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Caro
Esteemed New Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Query Ninja
I had a bad experience with Trident. An agent there contacted ME because he'd read some of my poetry and asked if I was interested in writing a novel.
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience -- but even in an agency with the best of reputations, there's always the possibility of the bad/incompetent agent. Heck, the person who works on the other side of the cubicle wall from me trained with a huge agency out here in LA in their literary division and did spend some time as an assistant/associate agent (according to her).

Given how many of her messes I've had to clean up, how poor her follow-up is, and the generally sloppy level of her work, I'm not surprised she's no longer with them and the very idea of her being anywhere near a manuscript gives me the willies.

Oh, I'd smack 'em up one side the head too if I ran into this guy again.
06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
Puma
Board fanatic

Thanks, James, I'll try that. Puma

Scrawler

Bored fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm proud to have been rejected by Trident! And even prouder to admit I fully deserved that rejection! Ellen Levine was my first rejection and I could kick myself for sending her such crap -- this was long before I grasped the true concept of editing and revisions. Despite the outcome, my experience with them was professional and they responded in a timely manner.

writebynight

How soon is too soon?

I am brand new here. :) I am currently trying to get my husband's book published as a wedding anniversary gift...basically doing all the leg work! :) It's kind of fun.

I was wondering though when an agency says not to "submit a query to more than one agent at a time" e.g. Trident. How long should a person wait before sending a query to another agent in the same agency? Anyone?

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
writebynight said:
I am brand new here. :) I am currently trying to get my husband's book published as a wedding anniversary gift...basically doing all the leg work! :) It's kind of fun.

That's wonderful :D. But I should warn you that publishing works in geological ages, so it may a few anniversaries before the book gets published. And many books (most, really) never make it that far.

I was wondering though when an agency says not to "submit a query to more than one agent at a time" e.g. Trident. How long should a person wait before sending a query to another agent in the same agency? Anyone?

I'd wait until I received a firm yes or no before querying another agent there, rather than after a specific period of time has elapsed.

:welcome: and best of luck to you.

Last edited:

writebynight

Thanks

Thanks Tilly. And thanks for the warning. :) I did get asked for a partial (not by Trident) but whether or not it'll go anywhere is yet to be seen. It's not only been a week since the agent got it. From what I am reading here the response time can not only vary but the agent may never respond esp if it's negative. GEEEEEEES!!!

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
writebynight said:
Thanks Tilly. And thanks for the warning. :) I did get asked for a partial (not by Trident) but whether or not it'll go anywhere is yet to be seen. It's not only been a week since the agent got it. From what I am reading here the response time can not only vary but the agent may never respond esp if it's negative. GEEEEEEES!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you :).

And in my experience agents do send a rejection letter if they aren't interested. I think there may be a few agents out there who don't, but I don't think that's common.

I find a rejection gives you a writerly aura, and the sting is lessened by chocolate. :D

BarbJ

Registered
Reaction score
I find a rejection gives you a writerly aura, and the sting is lessened by chocolate. :D

If my aura gets any more writerly, it will write its own bloody novel. Chocolate, nectar of the gods, solace of the discomfited, focus of the insane.

How long to wait before submitting to another agent at the same house would, I think, depend on the house itself. As I understand it, some share the same first reader, who may have already read it, some share between agents, i.e., "Not for me but you might like this, Joe", some strictly forbid it on their site, and some recommend it. I'm willing to be corrected by the pros, but I feel there's no harm in trying after 4 to 6 months (unless they forbid it and you think you might want to try another novel there at some time) or immediately if they themselves suggest it on their site or have different offices. The worst that can happen is another rejection, which merely means more chocolate to gobble. :)

MaryKaye

My enthusiasm for submitting to them is spoiled completely by the web page. You need to find an individual agent to submit to, and the page makes that process excruciatingly slow, especially on Firefox. Some pages come out in 50 point type, some have all the text far off-screen, etc. I am willing to believe they are good agents but they should find a new site designer. My eyes hurt, and I have given up reading through the agent bios after about 15 minutes of frustration.

MaryKaye

Patty Collier

Registered
Reaction score
This is so cool. I have just started a journey that I have dreamed of for 40 years. I have been off and on writing chapters to my super novel. I was waiting to retire from my second career when I read about the proposal for an agent I drafted a summary and sent to Trident this Tuesday and I got a call back today, Friday, from the agents assistant. I know that doesn't mean anything but I feel like I am in a dream. She has emailed me a release form. I was concerned but after I read the above I will definitely sign and pray. Thanks for letting me eaves drop. The information is great.

clara bow

Li'l Rug Bug
Registered
Reaction score
good luck, Patty! I'm waiting for a reply from Trident, too, so let's keep our fingers crossed together!