Do your coworkers show interest in your writing?

Tchaikovsky

Registered
Reaction score
I’m not a full time author yet, so I still have a 9-5 day job in a corporate office. I’ve only told a few coworkers about my writing pursuits. (I’m normally a reserved person)

The thing I’ve noticed is, when I tell them the good news about getting an agent or landing a publisher, the most they’d say is a polite “Congratulations!” then ask no further questions. Absolutely zero questions on what my book is about, or who the agent/publisher is, etc.

This is true for both the coworkers I’m close with, and those on my team.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I’m not expecting pats on the back, but I’ve been a little surprised none of them proceeded to ask more. Especially because if someone were to tell me they’re writing a novel, at the very LEAST I’d ask what it’s about. But that could just be because writing is my life!

Girlsgottawrite

I write at work...
Registered
Reaction score
They will usually ask me what kind of book it is, but that's about it. My closest coworkers offered to read it, but only one did. That's typical of most people though, in my experience. I'm sure though, that if I told my coworkers I got an agent they would be really excited for me, but we are also VERY close and they know how much I've struggled. What I've gotten a bit of is the "when are you going to publish you book?" crap from people, because they think it's just a matter of putting it out there. They have no idea how hard it is to get published.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do they ask more questions if you mention you've bought a new plant for the garden? Or finished your next model aircraft?

When do they ask more questions?

Last edited:

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Some of my coworkers are very interested in the fact that I write, and depending on the story, what it is I'm writing. They do not understand things like searching for an agent or how exciting a full request is.

Tchaikovsky

Registered
Reaction score
...because they think it's just a matter of putting it out there. They have no idea how hard it is to get published.

Yes to this. Or even the accomplishment of completing a novel, which is definitely a milestone in and of itself.

When do they ask more questions?

They like asking about where the next happy hour is located. Just kidding...(a little bit) :tongue

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Why would I tell them I write?

Seriously, I show up, I work, I leave. Aside from the odd benign conversation, I'm not there to be a social butterfly, and even if I were, these guys wouldn't care. Nobody will ever care as much about my writing dream as I myself do.

I still have dreams/delusions of seeing my own work go through the library someday. Aside from that, I see no reason to involve them in my journey.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
I think only one current coworker even knows I write, and she's one of those who has only ever read Twilight and 50 Shades of her own free will and is proud of the fact she doesn't read, so she doesn't care a whit. That's if she even remembers. It's been years since we talked about it.

On the flipside, the former coworker who knows and I still hang out with won't stop asking. XD It's sweet she's interested in what's going on with me, but I'm one of those people who internally screams in panic when someone asks "So what are you working on with your writing thing?" Aaaand that's why I don't tell my coworkers I write.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
they don't have any interest because approximately 80% of americans like the idea of writing a book. but only about .04% (I think) are officially authors... and of the many books published, very few sell more than handful of copies (relatively).

so lots of people are interested but most people don't succeed. people are usually reluctant to commit emotionally, and probably uncertain how they should respond.

it would be similar to someone telling me they're thinking of converting to Buddhism; highly personal, very opaque and detached from me; a bit of a "oh, um, okay" type reaction. I have no idea if they're serious, committed, a fruitloop, or "really" into it; whether it'll pan out or fall apart. It could be if I'm very gung ho about their conversion and three months down the line, they've lost interest, I'll be the one left looking foolish.

Last edited:

ReadWriteRachel

Probably drinking coffee.
Registered
Reaction score
My coworkers know that I write, and they think it's cool, but they don't really offer to read or ask probing questions about my novel -- and that's fine with me. Like others have said, I'm here to work, not promote my writing. One thinks it's cool I'm seeking publication, but that's about it. :) I think it's hard for people to understand the work that goes into writing, editing, polishing, querying, and submitting unless they're in the thick of it themselves, or are close to someone who is. That's why forums like this one are so handy!

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It's hard to get other people as interested in your stuff as you are. All you have in common with your coworkers is that you work in the same place. They (in general) won't have any interest in (or idea about the process of) writing. Occasionally, perhaps, one will; most won't. Or someone will take a polite interest in you and engage in a light conversation, but that will be the end of it.

If you want to talk about your writing, a better bet than looking to get your coworkers interested in it is to find a community - whether local friends, or a community like this one, or both - of like-minded people who love to talk about writing. I will confess: I joined AW precisely because I was dying to talk about process and technique, and had a limited pool of real-life contacts for such conversations. I was working those contacts as much as I dared, but I didn't want to wear them out. So, I came here - and it's been exactly what I wanted.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It's worth pointing out that different work environments lead to different levels of interest in your coworkers' lives outside work. Some people sit in a cubicle all day and only chat at the "water cooler" or over a shared lunch break. Some people work closely with others all day long and have more opportunity to fill that day with conversation.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Most of my closer co-workers (ie the ones from my unit and the ones I felt a connection with) knew that I was writing. Some of them helped me with concrete details (the ones who were professional police officers who had worked before actually on the field, some helped me with fight scenes, others with details on drugs and other details important for certain plots. Most for fight scenes, though). I was asked how I found my inspiration, why I chose those settings, how I write, etc.

When I published my books, they came to the launching events or, the ones who couldn't because of having little children or commuting to outside the city, asked for the novel with autograph.

I wouldn't understand about agents and so either, even if I keep reading about them here, because there aren't any in my country. The publisher and the author together do what agents usually do elsewhere, I understood. And there are other countries where no agents too, mine isn't the only one. Greece, Russia, are the one I know, but maybe Italy and France too (as I guessed from some interviews with writers and publishers from those countries).

Last edited:

shortstorymachinist

The score is still Q to 12!
Registered
Reaction score
My co-workers are all Japanese, and the weird thing I've noticed about being here is that when I say I'm a writer, I get full marks right off the bat. There's no awkward, "So, like, are you a REAL writer whose sold books?" It's just gasps and, "Wow that's so cool!" I think it's because chasing a dream job is sort of rare in the tiny rural town where I live, so they think it's great that I'm even trying. They rarely ask follow up questions, which is fine by me.

porlock

Registered
Reaction score
What everyone is saying is pretty much true - little or no interest I've found; however, when i was writing my first novel (mid-1980's), a friend (who happened to be African-American) helped me flesh out my black characters. He showed me around his old 'hood and told me stories of growing up there.

A funny story - during my retirement party one of the bosses asked me my hobby - I told them I was working on my next novel - a murder mystery. He had a funny look on his face, I told him, don't worry. you're not in it.:evil

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
They could care less and it's not something I label myself as, but somehow I still have the stink of it about me.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
No.

Other than proofing their bloody emails at times. "You know the grammar."

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I told a supervisor way back when I was starting to write. He never let up about it! Exceedingly curious.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
The thing I’ve noticed is, when I tell them the good news about getting an agent or landing a publisher, the most they’d say is a polite “Congratulations!” then ask no further questions. Absolutely zero questions on what my book is about, or who the agent/publisher is, etc.

This is true for both the coworkers I’m close with, and those on my team.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing? I’m not expecting pats on the back, but I’ve been a little surprised none of them proceeded to ask more. Especially because if someone were to tell me they’re writing a novel, at the very LEAST I’d ask what it’s about. But that could just be because writing is my life!

Some people are, by nature, remarkably incurious about other people, even people they're friendly with. It may also be that books are not important to them. Or maybe they don't actually know what questions to ask.

Me, I'd vastly prefer it if people would stop asking what I do with myself all day. Because then it often leads to..."You're a writer? What are you writing?" (a novel), "Have you published anything" (only a story), and worst of all, "What do you write?" (fantasy). "Oh. Ah. Hmmm." Then I get the glazed, polite look that says they're frantically looking for something else to talk about.

Last edited:

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Some people are, by nature, remarkably incurious about other people, even people they're friendly with. It may also be that books are not important to them. Or maybe they don't actually know what questions to ask.

Me, I'd vastly prefer it if people would stop asking what I do with myself all day. Because then it often leads to..."You're a writer? What are you writing?" (a novel), "Have you published anything" (only a story), and worst of all, "What do you write?" (fantasy). "Oh. Ah. Hmmm." Then I get the glazed, polite look that says they're frantically looking for something else to talk about.

"Now you know what I do. And what do you do with your day, apart from asking boring questions." :snoopy:

ReadWriteRachel

Probably drinking coffee.
Registered
Reaction score
"What do you write?" (fantasy). "Oh. Ah. Hmmm." Then I get the glazed, polite look that says they're frantically looking for something else to talk about.

THIS. Trying to explain to people that I write young adult fantasy is torture. No, not like Twilight or The Hunger Games. Yes, I'm not a teenager and still like writing teen books. Yes, we can talk about something else now.

:flag:

Larry M

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I'm an elementary school teacher - an academic setting.

When I published my first book on Amazon, I let everyone in the building know. I wasn't looking for a pat on the back - just trying to sell some books.

They were not the least bit interested or intrigued. They could not have cared less.

I never mentioned it again.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
"Now you know what I do. And what do you do with your day, apart from asking boring questions." :snoopy:

Heh. Unfortunately, these are usually people who are employed. :greenie