Twitter user attacks John McCain, gets schooled

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
You may have noticed that Trump supporters have turned viciously on John McCain, because goodness knows a war hero, cancer victim, former GOP presidential nominee deserves no respect if he doesn't toe the line Trump draws. They are now accusing him of betraying his comrades while a POW.

A bit of "got to laugh because otherwise you'll cry" stupidity showed up yesterday on Twitter, when one of the Trump supporters announced that McCain hadn't been in prison during that period - "he was in the Hanoi Hilton!" Apparently she came across that nickname and thought it was actually a luxury hotel.

Of course when hundreds chimed in to correct her, she deleted the tweet rather than, you know, apologize. Because just like Daddy Trump, she knows that delete means it didn't happen.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I got to watch some of it unfold before her dirty delete. It was a show.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Related, there's this:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41655116

US President Donald Trump has issued a warning to Senator John McCain a day after his fellow Republican delivered a thinly veiled attack in a speech.
"People have to be careful because at some point I fight back," Mr Trump told a Washington radio station on Tuesday.
On Monday, the senator deplored "half-baked, spurious nationalism" in a perceived slight at Mr Trump's so-called America First policy.
A former prisoner of war, Mr McCain was diagnosed with brain cancer in July.
"I'm being very, very nice but at some point I fight back and it won't be pretty," Mr Trump told WMAL on Tuesday in response to a question about the senator's remarks.
Mr McCain was asked by journalists about Mr Trump's remark, and he responded: "I have faced tougher adversaries."

What a class act this President is.

caw

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, veterans, this is how he treats an old, sick veteran. He'll treat the rest of you to the same threats and bullying.
"We appreciate your service"? Hah!

Last edited:

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
If I were American, I wouldn't vote Republican... but to be honest I can see how John McCain would be the sort of ideal Republican candidate. Sort of a rugged cowboy swagger, yet not loony enough to alienate the middle ground in the right circumstances.

I might be wrong, I don't know anything really about his voting record... but he seems like the sort of guy who can be respected by the other side.

Whereas Trump is like the villain from Men In Black - the giant cockroach stuffed into Vincent D'Onofrio's skin.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Not exactly. He proved that in 2008 by, among other things, selecting Sarah Palin as his Vice-Presidential running mate.

caw

Ha, good point.

Still, compared to Trump, the guy is like George Washington or something.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Ha, good point.

Still, compared to Trump, the guy is like George Washington or something.

He really isn't all that great. He's been very critical of Trump, but until very recently, has done absolutely nothing to stand up to him. He's a self proclaimed maverick, except that he's not really. I was getting so sick of him grabbing headlines by saying something against Trump, and then going right back to voting the way he was told, just like the rest of them. He voted against Trumpcare, but he's not the only Republican who did that, and the others deserve just as much credit for it as he does.

He also has a reputation as a moderate for some reason, and he's not. I think just because he talks a lot of shit about other Republicans, people assume he's a moderate. But his stance on most issues is just as right wing as anyone else.

Having said that, the attacks against him are appalling.

Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, veterans, this is how he treats an old, sick veteran. He'll treat the rest of you to the same threats and bullying.

He just showed how callously he treats a pregnant widow of a soldier killed in action - "he knew what he signed up for". This is exactly the situation I thought of during the campaign about Trump being tempermentally unfit for the office.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-gardens/article179433356.html

- - - Updated - - -

He just showed how callously he treats a pregnant widow of a soldier killed in action - "he knew what he signed up for". This is exactly the situation I thought of during the campaign about Trump being tempermentally unfit for the office.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/miami-gardens/article179433356.html

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
He just showed how callously he treats a pregnant widow of a soldier killed in action - "he knew what he signed up for".
That POTUS doesn't know what to say and blurts out some inane quotation is one thing. That he failed to contact the victim's families for twelve days and then openly lies by throwing past presidents under the bus as an excuse is way past appalling.

-cb

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
His utter lack of empathy (in this situation and in numerous other recent tragedies) is appalling.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That POTUS doesn't know what to say and blurts out some inane quotation is one thing. That he failed to contact the victim's families for twelve days and then openly lies by throwing past presidents under the bus as an excuse is way past appalling.

-cb

But...but 45 tweeted out again how disgusted he is the NFL won't order the players to stand!

Isn't that more important than breaking off a lousy five-minute phone call to a pregnant window to tell her that her dead soldier knew the risks? MAGA!!!!

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Now *45 claims, via Twitter, of course, Rep Wilson lied about his remarks.

Update: The widow's mother, Cowanda Jones-Johnson, has now spoken with The Washington Post, and she says Wilson's account is accurate. "President Trump did disrespect my son and my daughter and also me and my husband," Jones-Johnson said. She said she was in the car at the time but declined to elaborate on the specifics of Wilson's claim.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
His utter lack of empathy (in this situation and in numerous other recent tragedies) is appalling.

But not surprising.

At this point I expect this sort of repellent, repulsive reaction from a selfish twit with a clear history of expressing no empathy for anyone but himself. It's his supporters whose empathy I question along with their intelligence.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
McCain hasn't done anything? Um, what he did is cross the floor and kill bills Trump was trying to force through both shortly before and shortly after getting brain surgery. That's pretty much the most he can do other than punch Trump in the face, which while breifly satisying would not achieve much.

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
McCain hasn't done anything? Um, what he did is cross the floor and kill bills Trump was trying to force through both shortly before and shortly after getting brain surgery.

Yeah. That's what he did very recently. He still voted for Betsy De Vos, et al. Just like he talked all the crap about W and still endorsed him.

And again, he is NOT the only Republican who did that, and he doesn't deserve any more credit than they do.

This is from back in february:

https://theconcourse.deadspin.com/i-dont-want-to-hear-another-fucking-word-about-john-mcc-1792493680

"John McCain—the original Maverick, ol’ Walnuts, the brave teller of truths—is somehow once again positioning himself, to credulous journalists, as a renegade Republican who isn’t afraid to buck his party, despite his three-decade record of not ever actually bucking his party in any meaningful way."

Last edited:

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I think Trump was given some talking points for the call and bungled them. For example, "he knew what he was getting into," (with the implication of well, it's on him if he died) could have started as a suggestion to say "he was a brave soldier. He knew the risks, but volunteered to serve his country in spite of them."

But someone like Trump, with no empathy, wouldn't see the difference between those statements.

Worse was not knowing the name of the soldier whose wife he was supposedly comforting. Who does that?

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
The cynic in me is wondering if the race of the deceased soldier and/or his wife is also a factor in Trump's callousness.

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say their race is definitely a factor.

Race may be a factor, but I don't think he'd have done a *significantly* better job with a white soldier.

After all, he doesn't like soldiers who get captured. I'm sure he considers soldiers who get killed to be "losers."

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Not exactly. He proved that in 2008 by, among other things, selecting Sarah Palin as his Vice-Presidential running mate.

caw

And we all sweated bullets wondering what would happen if McCain were elected and such a clearly unqualified individual ended up being "just a heartbeat" away.

Sigh. Those were the days.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I really liked McCain when he ran (except for the Palin decision), but I liked Obama more. Those were really the days for me. When the results of the election didn't seem so dire.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
And we all sweated bullets wondering what would happen if McCain were elected and such a clearly unqualified individual ended up being "just a heartbeat" away.

Sigh. Those were the days.

I also remember when he lost control of his own audience, asking them to treat Obama with basic human respect that they refused to give. That was when he lost the party... sadly prophetic of the current state of the right.