concerning step-siblings and divorces

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I'm making my brain hurt with this question.

I have a character, who's name is Robert. He has a step-brother, named Pearce. Pearce is the child of Issac and Alyssa. Isaac has a child by another woman. The child is named Rachel, and she's Pearce's half-sister. Alyssa divorced Isaac and married Robert's father. What is Rachel's relation to Robert, if any?

I came up with step-siblings once removed, but I know that's horribly wrong. Can someone figure out the correct terminology?

Thanks in advance.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here. The question is what is Robert's and Rachel's relationship after their parents married, right? Where does the divorce come into play?

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
Maybe I'm missing something here. The question is what is Robert's and Rachel's relationship after their parents married, right?

Kind of.
Where does the divorce come into play?

Robert's step-mother divorced Rachel's father to marry Robert's father. Robert's step-mother isn't related to Rachel by blood. She used to be Rachel's step-mother. She's Rachel's father's second ex-wife.

MamaStrong

Registered
Reaction score
Holy Mess! How on Earth do you keep up with all that. However, I agree, I believe it's step-sister.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
I'm giving the men names.

Since Alyssa divorced "Paul," she's no longer Rachel's stepmother. So when she marries "Tony" she has no attachments. Hence, Robert and Rachel have no relation.

If your story requires them to be "related" somehow, I think it's plausible for you to create a realistic scenario where Alyssa still considers Rachel part of her family and Robert and Rachel can consider themselves step-siblings. I've known people who've done that.

thebloodfiend

Cory
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thebooklantern.com
I'm giving the men names.

Since Alyssa divorced "Paul," she's no longer Rachel's stepmother. So when she marries "Tony" she has no attachments. Hence, Robert and Rachel have no relation.

If your story requires them to be "related" somehow, I think it's plausible for you to create a realistic scenario where Alyssa still considers Rachel part of her family and Robert and Rachel can consider themselves step-siblings. I've known people who've done that.

They don't need to be related. In fact, Alyssa never met Rachel when she was married to her father. I was just curious.

Thank you both for helping with this confusing situation.