Netflix Series: Dark

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Is anybody watching or has anybody watched this German-language Netflix series? It took me a couple of episodes to get past the dubbing, but I'm on S1 E5 and am truly hooked. It's been compared to Stranger Things. I call it: Stranger Things but for grown-ups and with time travel.

Dark has children in it, but it's definitely not for children. And the creepy intro visuals and music are truly fantastic.

Thoughts?

pharm

profoundly de minimis
Registered
Reaction score
This is probably the single hardest show I have ever tried to follow from a plot perspective, but I’m still along for the big weird ride. It’s almost like an experiment in how far you torture time travel chronology before you lose all semblance of a narrative in self-reference and eternal recurrence 😂

playground

Registered
Reaction score
Haven't tried the dub for this but the sub is fantastic. Just finished season two. It is hard for me to follow all the intricacies and characters (trying to be careful writing here to not spoil) but I'm all in. Also, I love that the show will only be three seasons long so the writers and directors can tell their whole story without having to drag or rush it. Such a great written show that I will definitely have to re watch once it finishes to fully understand everything.

*Edit*

Watched it last year when it came out and that wait was pretty long. This one will be unbearable lol. Also, the song choices for the scenes always seem absolutely perfect.

Last edited:

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, I love this show so hard. Unfortunately I forgot to watch the season 1 recap so it took roughly four eps of season 2 before I figured out (kind of) what was going on, but it didn't even matter. I love how totally, 110-per-cent committed it is to the weird.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
seen the first season and eagerly await season two. Not crazy about the sluggish pacing but the show is very good.

MinaJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.minajanemadeleyauthor.com
I was thinking about starting a thread about that show, so thanks :)

I love it, I just finished season 1 and starting season 2.
It's a little hard to follow sometimes, and I'm probably missing some details, but I don't want to get spoiled if I read about the show on the internet 😂

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
This show is great! It's very challenging plot-wise and that's what I like about it. We haven't watched season 2 yet but we are excited for it. The plot of season 1 was so intricate and cross-weaving, it was hard to follow but so rewarding.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
This is by far my favorite show right now. It might be my favorite all time depending on how it ends (Lost is currently number one for me but I think this will take it). For such a large cast of characters I care about all of them and their stories and what happens to them. The plot is bonkers (in a good way) and so hard for me to keep track of sometimes I'll definitely have to re-watch season one and two when season three comes out but I don't even care if I don't understand everything (though I do think they outlined the rules of their world VERY well in season two), I'm along for the whole ride and ecstatic to experience it.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
I love love LOVE this show. I binged the whole first season in a day (and night) when a friend first told me about it. The end of every show, something was revealed that forced me to watch the next because I was like NEED TO KNOW. (And thus, Winks learned what the early morning birdies sound like at 4:30 in the morning...)

I'm trying to decide if I need to go back and rewatch the first season before diving into two because there are so many darn plot details. Is the Season 1 recap enough, for those who have dived into Season 2 after a break between?

playground

Registered
Reaction score
I love love LOVE this show. I binged the whole first season in a day (and night) when a friend first told me about it. The end of every show, something was revealed that forced me to watch the next because I was like NEED TO KNOW. (And thus, Winks learned what the early morning birdies sound like at 4:30 in the morning...)

I'm trying to decide if I need to go back and rewatch the first season before diving into two because there are so many darn plot details. Is the Season 1 recap enough, for those who have dived into Season 2 after a break between?

I dove into season two after the year break AND didn't watch the recap (I wanted to jump right back into the show lol). I definitely forgot some of the people and how they are related but I pieced it together well enough by the third episode. Like I remembered why they were important I just couldn't remember names to faces unless the character was onscreen or how they were interconnected. For example, I forgot the importance of Charlotte and who her kids were until they were onscreen.

I think it comes down to if you plan to rewatch both seasons before seasons three drops and if you do, if you'd be okay watching season one three times.

Personally, I'm definitely going to watch season one and two back-to-back before season three drops. Way too much to remember at this point after finishing season two.

AstronautMikeDexter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelprocopiowrites.wordpress.com
This show is incredible. For as confusing as it can sometimes be, I'm so impressed that they can do so much and still have it make sense. There were a couple of things in season 2 that made me roll my eyes a bit but I'm trusting that it will all make sense in the third and final season.

playground

Registered
Reaction score
This show is incredible. For as confusing as it can sometimes be, I'm so impressed that they can do so much and still have it make sense. There were a couple of things in season 2 that made me roll my eyes a bit but I'm trusting that it will all make sense in the third and final season.

Obviously please tag the spoiler but can you elaborate a bit on which parts bothered you?

AstronautMikeDexter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
michaelprocopiowrites.wordpress.com
Obviously please tag the spoiler but can you elaborate a bit on which parts bothered you?

***SPOILER***

I mean, I loved it all but sometimes I think it got unecessarily convoluted. Like, what we learn about Charlotte and her parentage is a little much. But, I'm also willing to see where it goes.